Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
Will it be best to download it via Itunes or through the iphone via software update on wifi. Which is quicker and likely to be the best and fastest way to download tomorrow.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Doesn't really matter. If you have a good solid wifi, it won't take all that long. Depending on how much you have stored on your phone, the actual upgrade (not including the download part) is between 5-10 minutes.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
oh thanks for the replies. also is it best to do a factory re-set and install new ios 7. or does it not matter?

thanks again.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
oh thanks for the replies. also is it best to do a factory re-set and install new ios 7. or does it not matter?

thanks again.

Apple intends for you to just update - there should be no need to do a complete clean restore. That is really only if you encounter major issues with the phone after upgrading.

I would just do an OTA update from your phone. All should be well.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2011
Apple intends for you to just update - there should be no need to do a complete clean restore. That is really only if you encounter major issues with the phone after upgrading.

I would just do an OTA update from your phone. All should be well.

Okay thanks :)

Can't wait to download tomorrow.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008

thanks again.
Agree. Just do the update. No need to do a complete factory reset. Just make sure you backup your device before you start. The cloud backup is sufficient. An iTunes backup is nice to have around if you want the restore to go faster in case of issues.

digitard

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2004
Gilbert, AZ
Both should probably do you fine.

I, personally, always do a complete wipe and then re-add my content back (With the exception of my iCloud stuff like phone book) piece by piece out of old habit (worked in the industry for 5yrs, and have been a tech geek since the early 90's... so I have issues with upgrades just embedded in my train of thought).

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Captain obvious! ... is there an official time?
I think it's fairly obvious that if there was an official time it would have been known by most by now and would have come up in dozens of threads on this very topic. So, no, there's no official time.

----------

No, but it will likely be around 10 AM PST, so just figure out that time that is in your time zone.
Perhaps somewhat more likely, but could be earlier than that, as various previous releases have been, and could be later than that, as various previous releases have also been.

It's going to be amazing to finally see all the date/time guessing finally stop tomorrow when its released...only to have the forum get flooded by tons of new people experiencing iOS 7 for the first time and posting about the same things that have been discussed many times already before for those who have followed iOS 7 through the betas. So many new threads about icons, new design, something people don't like about the new calendar, the new clock being "live", this and that. It's going to be like a reset button on the forum where all the stuff starts again (minus the pointless date/time guesses).

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
Even though it's got a few rough edges, iOS 7 seems to be a winner on iphone 5. I'm confident it will run well day 1, so I'm downloading wed. rather than waiting.

jazzneel

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2010
How fast are the download speeds from Apple's servers? Since hundreds of millions of people will be downloading iOS7 at the same time, wouldn't it be very slow?

Also, anybody know how big the GM file is?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
No, but it will likely be around 10 AM PST, so just figure out that time that is in your time zone.

Apple's NZ site, which is fully localised, says that it'll be released today. If that's true, then it'll be out by 5 AM PST, as that's midnight here.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I just checked The NZ site and it says coming soon?

"11 September 2013—Apple® today announced iOS 7, featuring a completely redesigned stunning new user interface, will be available starting Wednesday, September 18 to iPhone®, iPad® and iPod touch® users as a free software update."

Source

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
"11 September 2013—Apple® today announced iOS 7, featuring a completely redesigned stunning new user interface, will be available starting Wednesday, September 18 to iPhone®, iPad® and iPod touch® users as a free software update."

Source

Just an FYI, I wouldn't take that as a guarantee, as they're saying apple announced it would be available in the 18th in the US. You very well may be right, but here they only referenced apples announcement, which only applies really to the PST time zone.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Just an FYI, I wouldn't take that as a guarantee, as they're saying apple announced it would be available in the 18th in the US. You very well may be right, but here they only referenced apples announcement, which only applies really to the PST time zone.

They usually edit the dates where appropriate. This one may be an oversight, or it may be correct. We'll know in 16 hours! :)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Source
That's just the general PR release citing the release date, which is generally based on Apple's local timezone (US Pacific).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.