Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iimac

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2008
Hi what's the different between connecting the charger directly into the wall plug or using the ac power cord?

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I assume you are talking about the 2 prong click in, versus the 3 prong click in with the cable?

The difference is the 3 prong cable will be grounded, the added benefit is static electricity would be passed through it without going through the laptop's power system / circuitry.

iimac

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2008
I assume you are talking about the 2 prong click in, versus the 3 prong click in with the cable?

The difference is the 3 prong cable will be grounded, the added benefit is static electricity would be passed through it without going through the laptop's power system / circuitry.

so would you recommend using the 3 prong when possible as oppose to the two?

grayskyz

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
Los Angeles
Hi what's the different between connecting the charger directly into the wall plug or using the ac power cord?

The difference is 4.9 feet of grounded extension cable. There's not much benefit other than that. I use them both regularly but since I got the plug bug I've mostly been using it without the extension so I can do this: http://twelvesouth.com/products/plugbug/

Attachments

• plugbug_desktop_iPhone5_headerlarge-2.jpg
    plugbug_desktop_iPhone5_headerlarge-2.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 82
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.