Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Members of the New South Wales police force located in Australia have begun a four-week trial program to allow officers the use of iPad minis when issuing traffic citations to drivers, reports Australian tech site Delimiter (via TUAW). Specifically, the deployed iPad minis are pre-loaded with an app called "Mobile Notices", which is developed by Australian app maker Gridstone and allows officers to retrieve driver history, photos, vehicle information and license information from police databases.

gridstone_nsw-copy.png
If a citation is issued, the driver can opt to receive a PDF of the ticket via email or text, delivered right then and there (provided that the officer is within range of a compatible network). Lembit Pikkat, director of Grindstone, notes that no information gathered by the remote officers is stored on their iPads. Instead, it's all sent to the central police database for secure storage.
Earlier this year, Apple redesigned the iPad in Business section of its website and spotlighted the Redlands Police Department, which highlighted the police force's use of the iPad and iOS devices for live information, communication, and real-time maps.

Apple is set to release the latest version of its mobile operating system, iOS 7, tomorrow. The company has also highlighted the benefits of the new software update for businesses on a dedicated page.

Article Link: New South Wales Police Force to Deploy iPad Minis for Use in Traffic Citations

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
"Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to keep your hands on your head while I Airdrop you this ticket."

scbn

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
Isn't mini too small? They should use the regular iPad.

This is not too innovative; my car dealer started using iPad to check in cars for maintenance two years ago.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
The day is coming when I'll actually be excited to see that little rectangle tucked under my windshield wiper!

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Lame, I don't trust cops, they're many corrupt ones, even more so these days.

This reminds me of a case not too long ago where the NYPD I think it was did nothing while a man was being beaten in front of them, they were actually laughing while watching.

The man ended up suing the department, but he lost the case, the statement that was issued was "The NYPD has no duty to protect and serve".

Even though I live in Canada, I generally get the same impression here, they are only here to give tickets and to fill their quota. Not to say that all cops are like that, but there are cops who couldn't care less about the people..

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011

This is not too innovative; my car dealer started using iPad to check in cars for maintenance two years ago.

This article is not about innovation. It's about QANGOs or in this case semi- government organisations being cleared to use Apple products. Thus Apple's footprint in the community is ever increasing.

Stuff like this means more then any market share number ever could.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Lame, I don't trust cops, they're many corrupt ones, even more so these days.

This reminds me of a case not too long ago where the NYPD I think it was did nothing while a man was being beaten in front of them, they were actually laughing while watching.

The man ended up suing the department, but he lost the case, the statement that was issued was "The NYPD has no duty to protect and serve".

Even though I live in Canada, I generally get the same impression here, they are only here to give tickets and to fill their quota. Not to say that all cops are like that, but there are cops who couldn't care less about the people..

The person was a transgender. That was not what the NYPD issued.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
This is interesting and cool at the same time. I hope they use it to increase the amount of time available for other police duties and not just for increasing their quotas.

Peel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Seattle
Members of the New South Wales police force located in Australia...

And for those members of the New South Wales police force that are not located in Australia, get your arses back home and get to work you wankers, there's an iPad waiting for you.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011

Unless the definition of innovative has changed I don't know what the Heck your talking about. This is integration not innovation!

kdarling

macrumors P6
Microsoft and android should be taking notes

Ruggedized Windows tablets have been used by police departments for a decade and a half. For one thing, they sometimes integrate easier with the Windows based software used back at headquarters.

rugged_algiz_10x.png

Android tablets are also used.

rugged_getac_z710.png

Such tablets are sometimes customized for each buyer's particular needs. Radios, pens, vehicle mounts, comms with other devices or vehicle GPS, special shape, heated screens, replaceable batteries, etc.

However, such devices do cost more. One good reason that some places now use iPads, is a limited budget.

Waughy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
Australia
I'll have to remember to ask what level of Candy Crush the officer is up to next time I get pulled over for an RBT if I spot one in use.

buysp

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2013
Sydney, Australia
The local media are reporting that this will speed up the (fine) process so they can move on other important police duties like.....

It's Great idea anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.