Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is hiring a number of musical experts to program its iTunes Match stations, according to a report from CNET. The human touch on the music stations stands in stark contrast to the algorithm-driven methodology that is used by Pandora, the current leader in streaming music.

Pandora uses algorithms and user feedback to determine what songs should be played, whereas Apple will have humans programming its wide variety of stations.

itunesradio.jpg
Apple has been staffing up and is looking to hire a range radio music programmers. These are people with deep knowledge in genres such Latin, metal and alternative music who will be responsible for selecting and promoting songs out of the thousands of new releases each month. Apple has also been trying to poach people from the labels themselves.
CNET also says Apple has been working with major music labels to promote "heat seekers", acts that labels believe are on the verge of breaking out, but haven't quite made it to that point.

Apple has always had a human touch on the iTunes Store, with editors reportedly choosing what albums and tracks to feature based on sales and personal preference, rather than a 'pay-to-play' system. The company uses a similar methodology on the App Store with its Staff Favorites and Editor's Choice sections. iTunes Radio also features celebrity Guest DJs, including Katy Perry and Jared Leto at launch, as well as exclusive content -- the Katy Perry station, for example, includes an unreleased track from her new album.

The ad-supported iTunes Radio is included free with iOS 7, launching tomorrow. Subscribers to Apple's $25/year iTunes Match service, however, will hear no ads and will be able to skip an unlimited number of songs.

Article Link: Apple Hiring Genre Experts to Program iTunes Match Stations

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Good, a lot of the time, Pandora plays songs that make no sense. Hopefully a human can keep this from happening with iTunes Radio.

Lepton

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2002
Cold Spring Harbor, NY
I assume they are using the genius engine for now. I think iTunes Radio is great, but it has a problem. Enter an artist for a new radio station. When you play the station, the first song is by that artist, but it almost never gets back to the artist again. You get similar tunes, but it goes off and hardly ever returns. It should reset itself every so often and force a tune by the original specified artist.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
sounds like a music director in radio station, where they handpick the music to fit the genre.

That is a good thing.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
We need a published or easily searchable list of Stations. Doesn't do a lot of good to have all the Stations if no one is aware or can find. Just as an example in Featured I see Rev Up and Spin the Globe. If you didn't see them in Featured Stations how would you ever know of them?

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
itunes match is brilliant when your OCD about naming ALL of your tracks in your library. Ive noticed when one song is off, i.e. like a character, punctuation mark or something else very small, it wont match. So really it makes you organize your library and who doesnt like that?! it effectively killed my iPod classic.

Cant wait for itunes radio. So glad theres a perk for us Match customers who early adopted. Shouldnt they of hired a programmer BEFORE the general launch tho? lol. #wheresyourheadburied :confused:

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I subscribed to iTunes match but unlucky iTunes Radio is not available outside the US :(

fouramphonecall

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2010
Yep, I can confirm that so far there's still a skip limit for match subscribers. At least on the GM build there is.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Thank goodness they're hiring a metal expert.

I seeded a radio station with Fear of Domination (industrial metal band) and it proceeded to play Because I'm Evil (children's Halloween song, written and performed by the same person who wrote the music for the Cartoon Network show The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy - point being it wasn't even metal).

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
The biggest problem I have with iRadio so far, is that it plays edited versions of explicit songs, even though I have the setting set to allow explicit songs. This is ok for some songs where there is a different version with different words recorded, but sone songs just get silenced out and it's incredibly annoying.

2bikes

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
itunes match is brilliant when your OCD about naming ALL of your tracks in your library. Ive noticed when one song is off, i.e. like a character, punctuation mark or something else very small, it wont match. So really it makes you organize your library and who doesnt like that?! it effectively killed my iPod classic.

Cant wait for itunes radio. So glad theres a perk for us Match customers who early adopted. Shouldnt they of hired a programmer BEFORE the general launch tho? lol. #wheresyourheadburied :confused:

My experience is not the same. I have songs that are matched but the song names are not necessarily correct. Not sure if match looks at the ID, but the song.

Looks at the ID only when you want to get the album artwork.

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011

iTunes Match listens to the song to match it. The spelling has nothing to do with it. Otherwise I could just copy a song and rename it a song I want.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
This sounds like a bad idea to me. They will likely push out their preferred artists. Indeed, the article even says exactly that.

I like the algorithm based approach better. It is a crowd sourced approach.

What would be great is if these services supported mass customization, where you could specify several parameters rather than a single artist or genre. Then you could listen to, for example, pre-1965 British blues bands, or Italian Opera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.