Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Quit a few app updates today... HSBC, M&S, Vevo, Speedtest, BBC News, Spotify, to name a few.

Strange thing is only Vevo uses the iOS 7 keyboard. The rest are still iOS 6-style even though they say iOS 7 compatibility.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
Quit a few app updates today... HSBC, M&S, Vevo, Speedtest, BBC News, Spotify, to name a few.

Strange thing is only Vevo uses the iOS 7 keyboard. The rest are still iOS 6-style even though they say iOS 7 compatibility.

I don't understand what iOS 7 compatibility exactly means. I have a feeling that they're not built with the iOS 7 SDK (because of the keyboard).

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Yes, we should be distinguishing from
a) apps coincidentally updating around iOS 7 release date
b) apps updating so they don't crash on iOS 7 (many of the examples above)
c) apps updated using the iOS 7 SDK that actually make use of new iOS 7 features.

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011

some of those dont say anything about iOS 7 :rolleyes:

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
I think it just means that the app works well on iOS7 (or bugfree) as some apps that haven't been updated still have glitches.

Eitel

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
Just because apps are getting updated that doesn't mean they are iOS7 updated.

Spotify is just an updated for bug fixes, it says nothing about iOS7.

And compatible with iOS7 doesn't mean Updated for iOS7 (Xcode 5 compiled). :rolleyes:

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I don't understand what iOS 7 compatibility exactly means. I have a feeling that they're not built with the iOS 7 SDK (because of the keyboard).

Just means that they shouldn't crash or wreak havoc when running on iOS 7. Apps using the iOS 7 SDK won't start appearing until after iOS 7 has been released. So tomorrow afternoon, we should start seeing a flood of apps that are using the new SDK.

dylzen

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2013
Just means that they shouldn't crash or wreak havoc when running on iOS 7. Apps using the iOS 7 SDK won't start appearing until after iOS 7 has been released. So tomorrow afternoon, we should start seeing a flood of apps that are using the new SDK.

Are you sure about this? What about the latest updates for apps like Wikipanion and AroundMe?

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
Are you sure about this? What about the latest updates for apps like Wikipanion and AroundMe?

they have been allowing these apps to be released since the GM became available. not only beginning tomorrow. the point of the GM to developers is to test apps and make sure they are ready for the public release.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC

It's possible that Apple has let a few slip out to stagger the load, but they won't be releasing the vast majority of apps that use the new SDK until after iOS is released tomorrow. After all, why release apps using new features that almost your entire customer base can't use yet?

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
i just hope that facebook, instagram, and twitter get update either today or tomorrow to work with iOS 7 and some sort of new design :)

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
It's possible that Apple has let a few slip out to stagger the load, but they won't be releasing the vast majority of apps that use the new SDK until after iOS is released tomorrow. After all, why release apps using new features that almost your entire customer base can't use yet?

Huh? Are you talking about third party apps? After they are accepted, up to developers whether or not their iOS 7-SDK apps are released right away or on the 18th. Apple isn't waiting to accept them til the release.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Huh? Are you talking about third party apps? After they are accepted, up to developers whether or not their iOS 7-SDK apps are released right away or on the 18th. Apple isn't waiting to accept them til the release.

Ok. Then it appears that the developers are waiting for the 18th, because hardly anything using the iOS 7 SDK has hit the App Store as of today.

digitard

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2004
Gilbert, AZ
If any of you play our game, FIELDS OF BATTLE (it's a paintball game) it'll be updated with iOS 7 fixes either tonight or tomorrow. It's approved by Apple, but we're just doing a last round of testing before hitting the option to drop the update.

Contains iOS7 fixes and some other little bug fixes.

Apple is on a roll, honestly. We submitted it Friday, and it was approved yesterday. So they're moving fast on that stuff due to the iOS 7 release and wanting, most likely, the best user experience with their favorite apps and not wanting to have developers say "you have to wait for apple".

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
i have a feeling a lot of apple apps wont be updated to the iOS 7 design till mavericks is released. the only ones that might get upgraded now could be find my phone, find my friends, apple store. those ones we have seen demos for the new design and screenshots from various places showing new icons, design.

Last edited:

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland

Spotify had a bug fix, nothing more.

slomo86

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2008
Turkey
CNN has updated it's iPad/iPhone app to work for iOS7.
I haven't tested it on iOS7, but if they say it works, then it I guess it works.

I been using it on iOS 7 today... Yea it works but there is little to no change in the look and style app as before. It seems to be running fine though... But it seemed to run fine on iOS 7 before the update.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    562.1 KB · Views: 96

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Most big name apps are approved and will launch on App Store tomorrow. Developers are able to select a release date.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-09-17 at 10.46.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-09-17 at 10.46.59 AM.png
    42.1 KB · Views: 99
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.