Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
I'm not sure, but I suspect that there are many more like me who are interested in the iPad mini, not because it is cheaper, but because of its smaller size, weight and portability advantages over the larger iPad.
For us, the fact that Apple has cut corners and used old tech on the iPad mini is actually a disadvantage. We would prefer to see the latest tech, even if we have to pay for it, as long as it is in the small package.
So here's what I'm hoping Apple will do.
Announce the iPad mini 2 for $329. It will basically be an iPad 4, but smaller sized (retina display; A6X chip, etc.)
Keep the iPad mini (1) for those really looking for a cheap tablet. Price it somewhere around $229 (maybe 249, but that would end Apple's precedent of a $100 discount on year old tech).

Lastly, announce an iPad mini Pro (with a better thought out name, hopefully). It will have all the bells and whistles just announced on the iPhone 5S. Retina display; Touch ID; 64 bit A7(x?) chip, camera if necessary (although taking photos on an iPad is stupid ;)) for $429.

They could even do an iPhone 5C with the iPad mini 2 or iPad mini (1) and colour it up with a plastic shell. That would sell like hotcakes, just as the iPhone 5C is going to.

I don't think Apple will do the iPad mini Pro. But it would be amazing!

ghostlyorb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
Virginia, USA
I hear ya! I have had the iPad 2 and 3... loved them. But then I decided to get an iPad Mini to have dash mounted in my car for navigation/entertainment. It's the best choice ever. I have an iOttie mount for the iPad. I'm about to get the iPhone 5s.. and well I think it's stupid that my iPhone will be much more powerful than my iPad. So I "have" to upgrade that as well. I guess that is Apple's way of ensuring that people always keep upgrading. But I'll just sell it and upgrade.

But another thing I think about.. is that the iPad should always be more powerful than the iPhone. Right now isn't the iPhone 5 and iPad Mini comparable to speed? I would love an iPad mini that is just as powerful as the full iPad.

Powrie

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
The new iPad five will be exactly like the mini. It's design is the same.

It will be Thinner and lighter and look exactly like the mini.

Because of it's new design it's going to hit the same sweet spot that the mini did.

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC

Because of it's new design it's going to hit the same sweet spot that the mini did.

I disagree. If you compare the size and weight of the iPad 2 (still the smallest and lightest iPad Apple has ever made), it is DOUBLE the weight and DOUBLE the volume of the Mini. No matter how much smaller and lighter an iPad 5 based on the iPhone 5 design is going to be, it's not going to come close. I reckon it will maybe be 20% smaller and 20% lighter. That still leaves the iPad mini 2 being 75% lighter and smaller. That is still a very big difference, enough to sway me to buy it, especially if its an iPad mini Pro!

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.

Yeah I think people are expecting it to be the same as the mini, but with a bigger screen. The design will be the same (good for one handed use..I guess) but the weight is still double the amount. 653 grams vs. 308 grams. It's more than double the weight. Let's say they bring down the iPad 5 to 500 grams. It's still 66% heavier. It won't be the iPad mini with a bigger screen, but it will be less annoying to use than the current gen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.