Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Burberry today released the full 15-minute video of its Spring/Summer 2014 fashion show shot entirely with Apple's upcoming iPhone 5s, following several images and short clips that were shared on its Instagram feed earlier this week.

First announced last Thursday, the partnership between Apple and Burberry was designed to showcase the improved camera capabilities of the iPhone 5s through a series of videos and photos taken by the fashion house.

In an interview with Pocket-Lint, Burberry's chief creative officer Christoper Bailey revealed that the runway show, along with billboards and imagery for Burberry stores, were captured with 14 iPhone 5s devices.

Nine phones were used to shoot the show itself, with three on a moving rail cam following models, one on the roof, and another outside on a jimmy rig to grab celebrity snapshots. According to Bailey, it was Jony Ive who initiated the partnership for Apple, and the quality of the camera that prompted Burberry to use the device.
I've known Jony [Ive] for a long time and he is a mate of mine and it is something that organically grew. It wasn't some strategic plan that we had to do it. Also the dates just worked out. They [Apple] announced the phone on the 10th, our event was on the 16th, it goes on sale on the 20th.

Today we've been capturing all our content on the new phone. It's mainly because of the quality. We streamed the show live. We weren't using cumbersome cameras that needed to be controlled by 7 people, but this tiny phone instead. Using the iPhone we streamed it to millions of people around the world. It's remarkable.
Apple's iPhone 5s, available in three colors, will be available for purchase online at 12:01 AM Pacific Time on Friday, September 20 and will be in retail stores beginning at 8:00 AM.

Article Link: Burberry Releases Full Fashion Show Shot with iPhone 5s

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
Look at that sharp detail. This camera is a competition killer. You can keep your 13MP crappy sensor. Give me a decent 8MP and I'm happy.

Last edited:

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Cue the numerous posts bemoaning why an Android phone with better specs wasn't used, ZZZzzz.........

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
1st. observation - what a depressing bunch of catwalk models....
2nd. observation - did they mount an iPhone 5S on a camera rig that runs up and down behind the audience seats? Looks like it.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Quickly skimming through the video, it doesn't look like they made use of any of the special video effects of the 5s. I was expecting to see some zooming and maybe slow-mo, but I didn't see any of that.

mac_airport

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2002
palo alto, california
Saw It Live

Watched it live; very well done. Video quality seemed very good, particularly for a small-sensor camera. Really hope Apple continues to push improvements with photo and video camera abilities in the iPhone; money spent on development of custom sensor (whether by Sony or others), ISP and lens seems very wise to me.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
2nd. observation - did they mount an iPhone 5S on a camera rig that runs up and down behind the audience seats? Looks like it.

Considering how lightweight an iPhone is, of course they need to mount them on some heavy rigs for smooth pans.

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008

That's one thing that is such a tease to me - as an amateur, I can barely get my hands on a good lens and camera - but then the equipment to mount and run with the camera can make a world of difference, and that's expensive too!

FirstNTenderbit

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Atlanta
I know I will probably get pilloried, but outside of the stabilization, it looks like a video that was shot with a cellphone... any cellphone. The 5s camera may be absolutely fabulous but if I was Apple this is not something I would hang my hat on. It just looks average to me. I am no expert. But still.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Not exactly the most exciting demo of the iPhone 5s. Seen far better short movies shot on an iPhone 4 in the past.

I really fail to see the excitement behind this? It isn't like there's lots going on that would show off the camera!

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

The models did look like they were forced labor workers or something.

It looked like they used 2 or 3 of the iPhones with one on a rail.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Some of the photos look amazing. :)

phpmqp0co.jpg

php8kqv8u.jpg

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Skinny models prancing up and down in over priced clothes for the amusement of arrogant rich bitches and their henpecked husbands. Pathetic.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I know I will probably get pilloried, but outside of the stabilization, it looks like a video that was shot with a cellphone... any cellphone. The 5s camera may be absolutely fabulous but if I was Apple this is not something I would hang my hat on. It just looks average to me. I am no expert. But still.

In horizontal mode you can't tell the HD recording is done by cell phone. :rolleyes:

MellowFuzz

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2013
I noticed at one point in the video that there's a bizarre rippling effect that occurs across the image (like heat off hot tarmac). I think there's a bug in their faux stabilization algorithm. Didn't note the time stamp though, so it's going to bug me forever.

Last edited:

ConnYoungy

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
Skinny models prancing up and down in over priced clothes for the amusement of arrogant rich bitches and their henpecked husbands. Pathetic.

Your opinion is redundant. So tired of people one here trying to put Burberry and fashion down because they think the industry is a joke.

Rootus

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2008
Portland, OR
That's a legitimate observation. The video quality is not special, it is pretty much exactly what you could achieve with any current flagship smartphone. Think about it -- the situation isn't exactly stressing the camera much. The lighting is excellent, and the phones are attached to very nice stabilization and panning gear. Even my N4 with it's super ****** camera would probably be halfway respectable if given the same situation.

31 Flavas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2011
Well at least I'll be able to tell myself if don't get a 5S launch day that fortunately something important happened with a dozen or so models instead of end up in consumer hands.
Because, yea, a dozen 5s iPhones would make the difference between you getting one and not. #Firstworldproblems

Rootus

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2008
Portland, OR
I noticed at one point in the video that there's a bizarre rippling effect that occurs across the image (like heat off hot tarmac). I think there's a bug in their faux stabilization algorithm.
Assuming it's not a playback artifact, that's probably something related to how the shutter works in a smartphone camera. It's kind of expected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.