Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
Title says it all...is it not possible for me to send a picture to my Mac via AirDrop? Or does it only work between iDevices?

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
And here I thought AirDrop would finally become useful. I'm assuming it'll work between iOS 7 and Mavericks?

GUILTIE

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2008
iDevice to iDevice Airdrop is a pretty useless feature if you ask me. It's easy to send photos/contact info through iMessage or text.

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
iDevice to iDevice Airdrop is a pretty useless feature if you ask me. It's easy to send photos/contact info through iMessage or text.

Which will reduce the quality of the photo. I use this a lot to record videos on my iPhone and then transfer easily to my iPad for editing in iMovie.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

If you look at the worflow for both methods you'd see Air drop is easier.

Airdrop:

open a picture
press share
press airdrop
tap the nearby contacts that show up in the UI and send.

iMessage
open a picture
press share
press message
start typing people's names or press the + sign and choose contacts one by one.
press send

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
If you look at the worflow for both methods you'd see Air drop is easier.

Airdrop:

open a picture
press share
press airdrop
tap the nearby contacts that show up in the UI and send.

iMessage
open a picture
press share
press message
start typing people's names or press the + sign and choose contacts one by one.
press send

The horror of a fifth step!

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA

I think the point is that it's local and doesn't require wifi/wireless data. It's also a lossless copy and a slightly easier process.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Why limit yourself to photos and contact info? I design Keynote presentations on my Mac and then present them off of my iPad. Some corporate networks block iCloud and Dropbox. AirDrop would be a pretty easy solution.

It also seems to me that syncing between iOS-based devices and the Mac would be possible through AirDrop at that point, too. I'd love that. When I'm away on assignment I occasionally have to use wireless networks where devices are isolated (can't sync through the wireless connection) or where the wireless connection is very poor. "Use wires," you're probably saying, and you're right - I do. But if we could establish those device-to-device connections over a wireless network, I wouldn't have to.

Isn't the point of technology to make things easier and more convenient? If you wouldn't use it that's fine, but it's not like this would make things less convenient.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
Quite disappointing actually...I was really excited that I'd finally have a way to share files back and forth between my MBP and iPhone quickly but I guess it made too much sense for Apple to implement. What a shame :\

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Quite disappointing actually...I was really excited that I'd finally have a way to share files back and forth between my MBP and iPhone quickly but I guess it made too much sense for Apple to implement. What a shame :\

I even bought my first MBP and saw the Airdrop and went "ooh I can use this with my iPhone and iPad!" then when I found it I was :rolleyes: :(

marsmissions

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2010
Washington, US
The horror of a fifth step!

And then wait for the servers to figure out what the **** is happening. First the upload, then the redirections, then the download and then the opening.

Airdrop is more direct and doesn't rely on a third party intervening. :rolleyes:

----------

I don't think it made too much sense for them to implement, I think that they just aren't ready for it to be implemented yet. I'm sure it will eventually become interoperable but at the moment it would be a huge undertaking to get it right between the two.

sik08amg

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2012
Tampa, FL
Also when your the receiver, it automatically puts the photo or video into your camera roll. Which saves a few steps as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.