Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhone 5s inventories are said to be very limited at launch, according to reports from several different publications sourcing employees at Apple Retail Stores and cellular carriers.

One source told AllThingsD that an unnamed carrier will have "grotesquely unavailable inventory" and another said they were disappointed with the shipments of the phone from Apple. BGR likewise said 5s supply would be "severely constrained".

iphone5sorder.png
9to5Mac's Mark Gurman claims three of four units shipped to Apple Stores will be the new Space Gray color -- gold and silver options will be more difficult to come by -- while phones meant for AT&T's network will be more plentiful than those for Verizon. He also says 16GB and 32GB models will be in greater supply than 64GB units.

A survey from earlier this year showed that the 16GB and 32GB models were far more popular than the 64GB version, with nearly 90% of iPhones purchased being the lower two capacities.

Finally, Gurman says Apple will be updating its Apple Store iOS app to show the in-stock status of various iPhone models at their local Apple Retail Stores.

Article Link: iPhone 5s Inventory Said to Be 'Severely Constrained' at Launch

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Typical apple. Releasing a product it can't supply enough of on top of their premature iOS 7 launch.

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
When I went to get my 5 at a local Verizon store launch week, the only one I could have walked out of the store with was a white 64 gig. I ordered my black 32 and waited a week. It was hard but it didn't kill me.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
You want the best smartphone the world has ever seen--you may to to wait a bit. It looks like this one is going to sell billions!

SuprUsrStan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
When I went to get my 5 at a local Verizon store launch week, the only one I could have walked out of the store with was a white 64 gig. I ordered my black 32 and waited a week. It was hard but it didn't kill me.

Yeah that was a phone that was actually fairly decently supplied. Sure there were shortages but they're saying this time around it's going to be SEVERE shortages, to the point where they're not offering preordering...

TheKrs1

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
How hard is it to make a phone that's a minor variant of the phone they were already making?

Probably not very hard. Luckily this isn't a "minor variant" of their existing phone. Everything got retooled for the internals. Thanks.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
How hard is it to make a phone that's a minor variant of the phone they were already making?

What are you talking about? Even though the case is largely the same (with the exception of the home button) _everything_ inside that case is completely new:

1. New A7 chip
2. New M7 chip
3. New Camera
4. New Flash
5. New Fingerprint Sensor

"Minor Variant" my ass.

I swear that most of the posters on this forum surely must be plants by Samsung and Microsoft....

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
its amazing really

That Apple can't figure out how to set up good supply chain before releasing an item.

Are they really "unaware" of unprecedented demand for their new products? Do they really need to do the marketing trickery to make it seem like a product is more popular by having it artificially unavailable during the first few months after release?

Apple knows darn well that millions will be scrambling to buy their product on release, so why would they even bother setting up a release date before they have the stock numbers available?

I realize there is always the chance for real unprecedented demand for a new product, but Apple has not beeing in that situation for years now.

Lol, also nobody is interested in a $1000 phone anymore, which is why the 64gb is not popular. Apple will most likely interpret this as people don't want large storage capacities on phones anymore, but people just don't like high price tags on phones anymore.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
And people want a 128gb iPhone. Not going to happen.

Some of us would just like it if they would increase the base storage sizes every five years or so. Pictures and apps are bigger now.

Looks like I will be up at 3 AM to order the 64 GB model myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.