Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cheshireduchess

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2012
Best way to learn french or any language on ipad so far.

I have tried a few French and Japanese apps. I have found nothing reasonable for serious study but am now at at least intermediate level French after just a few weeks. Heres what I did.

The core is French with Michel Thomas, the audio course. I put that on itunes.

Then I use Noteshelf to take notes if I need to. Michel says not to but when you get to the advanced class it goes too fast for me so I had to take notes.

I use the google translate app for testing out my own combinations and checking for spelling. It is not perfect but it will get you where you want to go.

I just added the flashcard app and basically use that for challenging myself with complex sentences.

I have the "word up" french app which also lets you create french flashcards from the dictionary. this is good for making quick vocab lists, hearing good pronounciation etc.

And I use the french verb conjugation app. (french conj.) to check up on those tough ones. it is a difficult one to use because of the elitest grammatical language it uses lol.

The last two apps I use are Livestation, there you can watch France 24 in French and I highly suggest it after Michel Thomas' foundation class. You will be testing yourself on recognizing words in the flow of the language. the other is Safari. from about.com i have found great vocab lists and resources that i just pasted right into my noteshelf french book. i even created my own workbook pages for that in photoshop but i am into that. the pages that come with noteshelf are good enough. that particular app i have found invaluable. :cool:

Jimmy37

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2012
Has anyone tried a few of the French language apps and found any to be useful? I did french school and want to pick up from where i left off. I'm really looking for something that will take me from beginner of good. I don't mind paying either but free would be better.
Any recommendations?
I was looking for tutorials where I can hear and see words at the same time. There are some pretty good free online tutorials eg in youtube:

Learn French language for beginners
Learn French language, more advanced

kshitijds

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2011
I like this French Grammar app

This is a very nice app especially for beginners:

http://www.frammar.com

Most important advantage of this app is that it has audio pronunciations, great looking UI on retina display, simple to use and plus it is available on iPhone, iPod touch as well as the iPad :)
This app has been on the app store since 2009 and is favorite among students. Finally, the app is kept updated from time to time with new content that is provided without any additional costs unlike many other apps on the app store.

qubeofwar

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2012
none of these language apps will help if you have no one to talk to. Practice makes perfect. So you could invest in a socializing app that allows you to talk to French Canadians or actual French people

phobbes

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2012
Got Europe ?

I liked "Got Europe ?" iPhone app here, from Rolling Train to listen and learn French. It has got a lot of content that enables to you learn phrases in several convenient categories, and track your progress daily. You can play a French game over bluetooth with a buddy as well.

ima2012a5

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2012
iPhone App To Help You Learn French Faster By Using Flashcards With Pictures

"French Flashcards with Pictures" is an iPhone app that will help you learn French faster by using flashcards with pictures (learn over 300 most commonly used words in the English / French language from A to Z), thanks.

marcbolh

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2011
Burlington, VT
French English Translation Dictionary

We have released version 5.3.12 of French English Dictionary + for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch. New features include;
  • Improved usage examples for dictionary keywords.
  • Online lookup for words not found in app dictionary (paid version).
  • Added support for iPhone 5 and iOS 6.
See What's New Page for complete list. Free and Paid versions are available in the App Store.

As always, we welcome your comments and questions.

Best,
Marc Bolh
CEO Ascendo

FEv53i5amoureux300.png

eyalkz

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2013
French in TileLand - Learn French Spelling on your iPhone

Learn French in a fun word game.
Master spelling of French words now.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/french-in-tileland/id586004999?ls=1&mt=8

This is a fun and exciting app to learn french words
quickly and easily!

* Practice spelling of hundreds of French words of all levels

* Relaxing background music and ability to control timer speed and limits

* Full integration with Game Center is included!

* Leaderboards - Challenge your friends to beat your Top Score and see where you are on the Leaderboards

* Achievements - Earn your achievements and tell your friends via Facebook, Twitter and Email using Game Center

Attachments

• Screenshot 2012.12.14 10.53.10_1.png
    Screenshot 2012.12.14 10.53.10_1.png
    666.2 KB · Views: 128
  • Screenshot 2012.12.14 10.57.08_1.png
    Screenshot 2012.12.14 10.57.08_1.png
    825 KB · Views: 141
  • Screenshot 2012.12.14 11.25.27_1.png
    Screenshot 2012.12.14 11.25.27_1.png
    554.9 KB · Views: 148

iLoveLingo

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2013
Bonjour French Course

I've never tried Pimsleur, but if you're looking for something else than an app I've heard great things about it.

You could also try our Bonjour French Course for both iPhone and iPad.

Just a word of warning: if you already have studied French before then these first 5 lessons might be too basic for you and I should advice you to hold off until we release the continuation course.

Here's a youtube-presentation if you're interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=j-4N6RfQkbA

IMG_1.png
IMG_6.png

nix.charles

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2013
Apps to learn french from

Although learning from applications is a very lazy way to learn french from but for the sake of this thread I'll post some applications available on itunes:
1)2Lingua Kids
2)SpeakEasy French Lite ~ Free Travel Phrases with Voice and Phonetics

However , I would strongly recommend learning step by step in detail.
If you're looking for an online place to learn french from I would advise you to go through this website once. I can personally vouch for the authenticity of this website as I have learnt English here.
Spoken French Course

/V\acpower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
I've never tried Pimsleur, but if you're looking for something else than an app I've heard great things about it.

You could also try our Bonjour French Course for both iPhone and iPad.

Just a word of warning: if you already have studied French before then these first 5 lessons might be too basic for you and I should advice you to hold off until we release the continuation course.

Here's a youtube-presentation if you're interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=j-4N6RfQkbA

Image Image

Well, I don't want to be that guy, but as a native french speaker, the sound bites in your App sound very bad. It's clearly a cheap artificial speech generator that sound like a robot and most importantly, sound like a robot with a bad english accent who try to speak french.

I mean, using the french speech in OS X would be way better to learn basic pronunciation than what I heard in the app preview. It isn't perfect but at least words alone sound as they should.

I don't see how can someone can learn normal pronunciations when the samples hardly sound french.

mcm12

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2013
Hi guys, Le Bon Mot helped me a lot. It's a pretty new app with lots of vocabulary, good pronunciation and tricky tests. Check it out: https://itunes.apple.com/app/appName/id684835616

ruchisingla

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2013
Chandigarh, India
Learn the French Language at Your Own Comfort

Learn to speak French language from the alliance Franchise and get French Embassy Certification . This is best and affordable course to learn french DELF level a1 for beginners also.

Improve your pronunciation, by using thousands of audio files recorded by native french speakers.

Make if fun, so that learning French is more of a game and less of a challenge.

Symtex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2005
If you want to learn french, there is nothing better than sleeping with a french woman...j/k

Rosetta Stone is probably your best choice but also the most expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.