Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lthompson

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Every since I installed IOS7 Beta my phone has shut down with around 3-4% battery left. This morning I was viewing a video on instagram with 10% left and it shut down. Anyone else have this happen?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Which beta version are you talking about? There were technically 6 releases of iOS 7 while in beta before it hit GM (though one was a security fix).

That said, are you on the last beta before GM? If so, like rockyroad said, it could be that you had less power than you thought. Are you using the phone when it happens? I've noticed when I get the 10% warning while playing music, texting, talking on the phone, or browsing the web that 10% goes by in a flash.
This is on a 4S though running the last beta before GM.

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
i had it shut down once at 30%. tried turning it on- said i needed to charge, cantt turn on.
plugged it into mobile charger, immediatly went on and showed 26% battery remaining.

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
I am also facing this problem and i am currently on beta 6. Will be updating to ios 7 today then see the situation.

troubleonline

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
I have had this happen on iOS 6 couple of times lately. I assumed it was because the display indication of 10% was wrong or couldn't be updated due to lack of battery power!

Namji

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
I have had this happen on iOS 6 couple of times lately. I assumed it was because the display indication of 10% was wrong or couldn't be updated due to lack of battery power!

My iPhone 4 would normally shutdown at 3% always.. lately I noticed it shutting down at 10%. I am running iOS6.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
The phone will automatically shut down when a certain minimum voltage threshold is reached. This is to protect the battery from damage.

When the battery is almost dead, a greater load (like watching a video) will result in lower terminal voltage than a smaller load (like listening to music with the screen off). This makes it more likely that the low cutoff will be hit when your percentage meter still reads a higher number.

Older batteries with more wear on them exacerbate this behavior. The battery meter circuit and code will try to learn the characteristics of the battery, but if they are changing too quickly (battery is going bad) you may get odd behavior like shutting down at higher percentages.

If this keeps up and the phone is under warranty, take it in.

terzinator

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
good info, zorinlynx.

My 4S would do this at around 20% sometimes (OS6)... yeah, always seemed to do it when trying to view a vid or similar... Once it died, I'd let it sit for a minute or two, and then turn it back on, and it would be fine.

I did get a replacement a week or so ago (for that and another screen issue), and so far no issues with the new phone.

lthompson

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
The phone will automatically shut down when a certain minimum voltage threshold is reached. This is to protect the battery from damage.

Before IOS7 Beta in order to get my phone to run completely down I would put on watchespn when the battery got down to 2 to 3% and it would run at least another 15 minutes before shutting down.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
good info, zorinlynx.

My 4S would do this at around 20% sometimes (OS6)... yeah, always seemed to do it when trying to view a vid or similar... Once it died, I'd let it sit for a minute or two, and then turn it back on, and it would be fine.

I did get a replacement a week or so ago (for that and another screen issue), and so far no issues with the new phone.

Yup, that's high battery resistance, and a flaw. Glad you got it replaced. :)

R.Stoychev

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2012
Recalibrate your battery, if it doesn't help go to the apple store, a friend of mine was having the same issue and they changed the battery for him :)

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
try a restore to the public release version of the software. clean install, no backups. try it for a couple of days. if it keeps acting up, make an appointment and take it in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.