Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GavinChen93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
I am a new mac user and I got my new macbook air (i5,8gb ram,256gb) two weeks ago. I downloaded tf2 last night and tried to enjoy the game, but it was lag and fps was about 25~30. (In the mid performance setting) Most of the reviews show that even in max performance setting, tf2 can still have 50~80 fps. I have no idea about Mac OS, can anyone help ? Thanks.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What's tf2?

I'd say the integrated GPU is probably the cause for the performance. are you saying the reviews you read stated that the MBA should get 80fps. That seems high for most high end games on a MBA.

cbautis2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2013
Those people who are definitely reporting those data are using Bootcamp. The drivers for Windows is just far more efficient in gaming than Mac OS X.

EthanNixon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
New Jersey
I get between 80-100 FPS in CS:GO at 1366x768 with medium settings. This is on bootcamp, because gaming in Mac OS X isn't feasible with any sort of consistency.

I play CS:GO competitively and I personally use 800x600 or 640x480 depending on the map, and I get between 80-160+.

I would highly recommend installing any version of Windows to gain a lot more performance in games.

MikePembo951

macrumors member
May 25, 2013
UK
I am a new mac user and I got my new macbook air (i5,8gb ram,256gb) two weeks ago. I downloaded tf2 last night and tried to enjoy the game, but it was lag and fps was about 25~30. (In the mid performance setting) Most of the reviews show that even in max performance setting, tf2 can still have 50~80 fps. I have no idea about Mac OS, can anyone help ? Thanks.

When you quote gaming performance stats don't post just fps numbers because thats all relative.

Could you give us more information e.g:
- Which OS? (windows/os x/linux) (maybe even version e.g. 10.8.5)
- Resolution?
- Settings - not just high/low but different settings matter e.g. Is anti-aliasing on?
- Are you running other programs whilst gaming?
(also i've noticed time machine backing up can affect framerate whilst gaming)

I've not tried TF2 yet (2013 air, 8GB ram, 128GB, i5) but will try it at some point (long long download -__- )

ha1o2surfer

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
In order for the iGPU to not throttle it's clocks, you need to be sure there are no CPU intensive apps running in the background other than the game. The iGPU can easily out pace the cooling system by itself causing a throttling scenario. Try to put vsync on, that should help a great deal. Other than that, the HD5000 is a great performer in games. Always remember that the HD5000 that comes with the "U" sku of CPU's are gimped to stay under the power threshold of max boost wattage that is set by the BIOS/CPU.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.