Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Finally!! Yay!

Amazon Instant Video customers can now AirPlay videos from their iPad or iPhone to an Apple TV. The update to the app, which lets Prime customers pick from an array of TV shows and movies free of charge, also offers improved recommendations, customer reviews, and deeper IMDB integration. Amazon says, as usual, that its app is faster and more responsive than ever before thanks to bugfixes and improvements. The new Amazon Instant Video app is available now from the App Store.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/17/4740080/amazon-instant-video-airplay-support

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010
I'm hoping this means we'll have a dedicated AppleTV app for Amazon streaming. This is what happened with HBOgo if I recall correctly.

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
It looks like the update hasn't been pushed out yet.

Instant Video is listed under updates, but instead of an update button, there's an open button.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
It looks like the update hasn't been pushed out yet.

Instant Video is listed under updates, but instead of an update button, there's an open button.

Say what?!? *facepalm*. You get the Open button after the update has been installed.... My update went perfectly fine.

PS just streamed Saturday night fever from iPhone 5 to an AppleTV with the Amazon instant app. Yes it does indeed work.

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010
^^^Same. I watched about 10 episodes of Heroes from it to my AppleTV. Worked flawlessly.

oddsbodkins

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2013
Only audio for me too... just for the (updated and correct version) Amazon app. Getting the mirroring screen. iPhone 4s and ATV3.

Say what?!? *facepalm*. You get the Open button after the update has been installed.... My update went perfectly fine.

This happened to me too... amazon app and one other. Restarted my iPhone and then was able to update... for all the good it did. May have had something to do with the update rush before tomorrow's release?

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006

PS just streamed Saturday night fever from iPhone 5 to an AppleTV with the Amazon instant app. Yes it does indeed work.

Let me return that face-palm right back at you. :rolleyes:

Only audio for me too... just for the (updated and correct version) Amazon app. Getting the mirroring screen. iPhone 4s and ATV3.

This happened to me too... amazon app and one other. Restarted my iPhone and then was able to update... for all the good it did. May have had something to do with the update rush before tomorrow's release?

Thanks, a restart worked.

Initially both my iPad and iPhone kept redownloading the old version, and hence the AppStore kept listing the app under updates. Restarted both and finally saw the new version and successfully downloaded it.

ETA: The app is saying there's an update available, even after I updated. Something is wrong somewhere.

Last edited:

otisg

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2013
I have the same problem with the update on the iPad1. Perhaps it is not enabled on that device?

E-mailed Amazon support - apparently the video AirPlay only works with iOS 6 and above. As the iPad1 only can only run up to iOS 5.1.1, we are S.O.L.

oddsbodkins

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2013
Well, it's working for me today! Either the app didn't update or I completely missed the fact I needed to hit the AirPlay icon within the Amazon app as well as the one on the swipe bar. I swear I didn't see that icon yesterday.

Last edited:

jeff92k7

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2012
I have the same problem with the update on the iPad1. Perhaps it is not enabled on that device?

Looks like you're right. I still like my trusty iPad 1. It's a shame that OS updates and app updates are leaving it behind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.