Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Biggest problem: lag and stuttering, something that has never been an issue now is seen throughout the iPad experience. I'm using an iPad 4, so there should be zero excuses for this, especially coming from such a buttery smooth experience. This is android level lag and poor optimization

Massive wasted space: why is the folder grid 3x3 like the iPhone? Last time I checked the iPad screen was a little bigger :rolleyes: just take one look how pathetic the iOS music app is. Huge amounts of white space and what happens when you turn it over for landscape mode? MORE WHITE SPACE. They spent no time what so ever on many aspects on the iPad user experience

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
On my iPad 4 I have had lockups/resprings as well.

I do not remember any apple release since i first started using iOS to be this buggy

Then again none of the products with ios7 or ios7 itself have actually launched to the masses. So theres a chance apple has a day1 update or they are waiting to collect log data from everyone to fix things,.

lympero

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2008
Arta, Greece
In addition Apple store has thousand of apps OPTIMISED for the ipad but they didn't even bother to optimize their OS specifically for the ipad.

I don't know why they don't understand that a blown up OS which was designed for a 3.5inch display does look very abysmal on the larde display of ipad. They even make fun of some android apps which are not optimised for large screen but their OS is terrible. Just can't understand it.

ToniqR

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2011
Bath, UK
If its lagging bad on your ipad 4, anyone have any experiences for an ipad 2 (the original one). I might hold off upgrading if it slows mine down even further, it's already showing signs of slowing as it is. :(

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
If its lagging bad on your ipad 4, anyone have any experiences for an ipad 2 (the original one). I might hold off upgrading if it slows mine down even further, it's already showing signs of slowing as it is. :(

i have the GM running on my iPad Mini (which is really just a small iPad 2 after all) Some animations aren't quite as fluid as they were running IOS6, but considering the sheer amount of effects e.g. transparency etc im surprised at just how little the performance has dropped. Unlike prior IOS upgrades in the past gaming performance does't appear to have taken any noticeable hit that i can see.

I'm surprised by others experiences here as your iPad 4s should blow the socks off the Mini. I wonder if its an issue with the version of IOS7.0 for that iPad 4 specifically, rather than all iPads

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Works fine here, even better than iOS 6.

Could you come with specifics?

The simple 5 finger close out of a an app is jerky. And that's not just me

There is no way it's better then iOS 6 for you when iOS 6 had zero slowdown of any sort on an iPad 4

Also, the long delay when changing wallpapers is highly reported

We are still on beta with iPad, the iPhone is significantly more stable

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
The simple 5 finger close out of a an app is jerky. And that's not just me

There is no way it's better then iOS 6 for you when iOS 6 had zero slowdown of any sort on an iPad 4

Also, the long delay when changing wallpapers is highly reported

We are still on beta with iPad, the iPhone is significantly more stable

I don't know what to tell you, it is smooth here.

I don't change wallpaper (if ever) that often, so I haven't noticed that.

Suppose they need something to fix for iOS 7.1.

MagicHAM

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2013
Australia
I havent had any lags as such with my ipad 4. At all. It has been pretty smooth , then again i don't do anything intense with it, except for light browsing, checking and writing email, and creating basic spreadsheets and presentations for business.

The only thing i hate is the translucent stuff, so i have that disabled that by enabling high contrast mode in the accessibility settings. Best thing I ever did.

Are people doing anything intense with the ipad to make it so laggy? Like keeping multiple apps open in the task and not closing them?

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012

I wouldn't risk it. Upgrading to 5.x ruined my iPad 1. The additional features weren't worth the performance hit (e.g., Safari crashing).

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I don't know what to tell you, it is smooth here.

I don't change wallpaper (if ever) that often, so I haven't noticed that.

Suppose they need something to fix for iOS 7.1.

We will see later tonight as there will be more experiences. So far with them being all over the place, you wonder if all iPad 4s were created equally! :)

Maybe doing a fresh load may have something to do with it but who knows. More later.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
i have the GM running on my iPad Mini (which is really just a small iPad 2 after all) Some animations aren't quite as fluid as they were running IOS6, but considering the sheer amount of effects e.g. transparency etc im surprised at just how little the performance has dropped. Unlike prior IOS upgrades in the past gaming performance does't appear to have taken any noticeable hit that i can see.

I'm surprised by others experiences here as your iPad 4s should blow the socks off the Mini. I wonder if its an issue with the version of IOS7.0 for that iPad 4 specifically, rather than all iPads

Good to know as I have a Mini. There have been very very few experiences posted so far about the Mini running GM iOS 7 but those have been positive.

ToniqR

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2011
Bath, UK
I wouldn't risk it. Upgrading to 5.x ruined my iPad 1. The additional features weren't worth the performance hit (e.g., Safari crashing).

Hmm, thanks for the advice. I might leave then for now as safari is already crashing enough as it is. Updating my phone will keep me entertained anyway.

Cyloncat

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
NC, USA
On iPad 3, the betas were very laggy, but the GM is a lot better (not perfect).

The thing that has always differentiated the iPad from Android tablets was that Apple understood that the larger display space required rethinking how to organize apps and utilize the screen layout to optimize the user experience. Wherever Apple forgets this, it's going to hurt the usability of the iPad very badly. Music app, not optimize for iPad. Folders, not optimized for iPad. I'm sure there is more.

I agree about the music app; it's horrible. Album view is basically a song list with all the albums, lots and lots of scrolling to find anything. It only sorts by release date, which is pretty much insane for large collections, for classical, for any number of reasons actually. When playing an album, it gets to the end and goes right on to the "next" (by release date!); if I want to play an album, that means I want it to STOP at the end of the album.

I'll try again once iTunes 11.1 is out and i can sync to my music library, but if the experience continues to be this bad, I'll probably by a lower capacity iPad 5 and not bother to put music on it.

Long live the iPod Classic! It may be the only good music player in Apple's product line.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I'm going to wait to update my iPad 3 to iOS 7 until one or two OS updates are released. I've read mixed things but it seems that iOS is just a little behind when it comes to the iPads.

I wonder if this has to do with what iOS 7 has to upgrade over. Maybe the equivalent of a clean install would make for a better experience? Or is this not applicable?

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
I'm going to wait to update my iPad 3 to iOS 7 until one or two OS updates are released. I've read mixed things but it seems that iOS is just a little behind when it comes to the iPads.

^ this
I'm not going to lose my jailbreak until 7 has been perfected for the iPad.
In the meantime I'll rock it on my iPhone 5.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2012
MA
This is what I came in here to look for. I guess I'll be waiting to update.

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
I've been saying this since beta 2, when the iPad version arrived, iOS 7 for iPad is NOT READY YET. I've sent Apple feedback a few times, but it seems they ignored everyone's complaints, and released it anyways.

It's simply not optimized for the larger screen on iPad and iPad Mini. Some stock apps look totally blown up like Maps, Music, and Calendar; something they usually mocked Android for. Other obvious non-optimization include full screen Notification Center and Siri, with so much wasted space on the sides, multitasking only showing 3 apps at once like the iPhone version, and only 9 apps show up at once inside a folder. I'd rather have a folder that can only have 20 apps that are all displayed at once over a unlimited folder but show you only 9 apps at once. It's quite clear that Apple hasn't given much attention to the iPad version of iOS 7, and needs a rethink.

The other big complaint was the absolute terrible performance on iPad 2 and iPad 3. iPad 2 always had bad performance on iOS 7 betas, and never included any effects. iPad 3 on the other hand had effects on one of the betas with good performance, but now they removed all blur effects on iPad 3, and suddenly became all sluggish and jittery! iPad Mini and iPad 4 perform well, but still with some bugs.

I can't stress this enough. iOS 7 for iPad is clearly not ready. iOS 7 for iPhone is amazing, and will wait till Apple optimizes this OS for iPad, or wait for iOS 8.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.