Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A new video has been released by TLD, comparing the iPad mini-like structure of the fifth-generation iPad to the fourth-generation iPad.

To make the comparison, TLD took apart a fourth-generation iPad to see how its components would fit inside the iPad 5 casing, revealing that the battery takes up more space in the new iPad. Previously, there had been a video released comparing the new iPad casing to that of the iPad mini.

While Apple will likely redesign many of the internal components of the iPad to fit within a new casing, it is worth seeing how much component shrinking will be required to make up for the lack of side bezel.

In early September, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo reported Apple would experience manufacturing challenges with the smaller form factor of the new iPad.

Apple is expected to unveil the new full-size iPad in addition to a new iPad mini, both of which are likely to launch with the new A7X chip, in October.

Article Link: New Video Compares Structural Differences of iPad 5 and iPad 4

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
This will possibly sway people away from the idea of a Retina based mini, which I wanted before, but now I want this due to this new 'fat-free' iPad 5.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Apple are really good at protecting secrets, funny how people can just get parts for unreleased apple products now

Otherwise, completely useless video with info already known

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
This will possibly sway people away from the idea of a Retina based mini, which I wanted before, but now I want this due to this new 'fat-free' iPad 5.

I disagree. I think the feel and weight in the hands of the Mini for a lot of people will still sway them to a Mini. Yes, the new 9.7" iPad will be lighter than previous gens but I doubt by that much. Personally when going between my iPad 2 which is lighter than the iPad 3/4 and presumably very close to the weight of the iPad 5, using the iPad Mini is a lot better feel because of the weight.

----------

How about: Don't shrink the internal components; instead, increase the display size to take advantage of the excessive bezel area.

Horrible idea. Would make it weird for developers.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
Horrible idea. Would make it weird for developers.

Slightly increasing display size doesn't make it weird for developers - slightly increasing screen resolution might.

Unless you've released a ruler app, of course, that needs to know what display size it's being used on.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I wonder if the iPad 5 and iPad mini will both get the new touch ID button? I hope so but I suspect it might just be the iPad 5 for now with the mini getting a retina update. Can't wait, new iPad 5 design looks really good.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
He annoys me

That reviewer of gadgets annoys me with all of his references to fat and slimming down etc. As if he is fit or anything, I swear, some LA peeps are so ultra-superficial. Drab!

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
When the article says "The new iPad" is it taking about the iPad 5, or the iPad 3/4, which was sold as "The New IPad?"

:confused:

no single ipad model is "The New iPad". each year, there is only one new ipad, which is, of course, the current model. ie, the new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.