Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Popular messaging service BlackBerry Messenger is reportedly set to launch on iOS this Saturday, September 21, reports CrackBerry. Specifically, an event for the service's upcoming launch on Apple's iOS and Google's Android platform is apparently set to be held in Jakarta, Indonesia on September 20, with the service's iOS app to appear in the App Store a day later at 12:01 AM in local time zones. BBM, which functions similarly to Apple's iMessage, was one of the first proprietary mobile messaging services and remains popular to this day with more than 60 million active monthly users.

bbm_ios_android-800x600.jpg
We've received quite a few emails that do suggest the date is correct and here's how it's all going to go down by order of launch timing:

Friday, Sept 20th, 7am EST: Android version published on Google Play
Friday, Sept 20th, 7am EST: BBM.com goes live
Friday, Sept 20th, 7am EST: CRM messages sent out to pre-registrants
Friday, Sept 20th, 7am EST: Follow-up CRM message sent out after full App Store deployment
Saturday, Sept 21st: BBM on iOS becomes available 12:01am EST in local time zones.
A beta for BlackBerry Messenger on iOS was deployed last month, with an official user guide posted three weeks after the launch of the beta. Earlier this month, BlackBerry Social Media Manager Alex Kinsella stated that the app had been submitted for review and was pending approval from Apple before its official launch.

Update: Blackberry has announced official release dates for its upcoming Messenger apps. BBM for iOS will launch at 12:01 AM local time on Sunday, September 22.

Article Link: BlackBerry Messenger for iOS Reportedly Set to Launch September 22 [Updated]

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
This is nice for those with friends still on Blackberry, but since I literally don't know anybody that still has one anymore, I'll just stick with iMessage.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Nice. I hear the app is free, but the external keyboard connector, with special connector port will run you $49.95, $10.00 less if you buy directly from BB. I think physical keyboards are surely the future, and this release proves it!

Bryan

----------

Npt even out yet and the welcome interface looks old

Whoops, back to the drawing board for another 2 years working on that "flat look." They must not have got the message iOS 7 was almost here.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
This is nice for those with friends still on Blackberry, but since I literally don't know anybody that still has one anymore, I'll just stick with iMessage.

BBM - The best app to use when communicating with all those friends you have that used to have BB. Maybe the app is enough to get them back on BB?

----------

Does anyone really care anymore?

I need something to do while waiting for iOS7 to be released...

Nickerbocker

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2012
Great! I can finally communicate with all my friends who use BB devices if ever I were to invent a time machine and go back to 2007.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
On that welcome screen background gradient, looks like they are using 256 colors. I knew 1994 would come back in style again. I haven't seen 256 colors since my old Packard Bell.

----------

In between going to the bathroom and checking for iOS7, this is the most interesting thing I've done so far today; commenting on BBM.

To me, this looks more like a *BM* rather than a BBM though.

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
If it's free, I see this as a viable replacement for Whatsapp. I have friends and family who don't want to pay for Whatsapp.

That, and I'm using an old BB because I sold my iPhone 5 early :p

pgillett72

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2013
I think some people are missing the point of this...BBM is an awesome messenger app, IMO nicer than Kik or Whatsapp, and as such will be an awesome app that ppl on iPhone can use to chat with friends, regardless of platform. Don't get so bogged down in wishing death on RIM that you overlook a good, free, functional app. (that is of course taking for granted that it works well on release, fingers crossed in that regard)

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
I think some people are missing the point of this...BBM is an awesome messenger app, IMO nicer than Kik or Whatsapp, and as such will be an awesome app that ppl on iPhone can use to chat with friends, regardless of platform. Don't get so bogged down in wishing death on RIM that you overlook a good, free, functional app. (that is of course taking for granted that it works well on release, fingers crossed in that regard)

That may be true, but I don't know if I want to switch to a new platform by a company who could go bust any minute.

Romy90210

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2013

Exactly.. Not to mention that bbm still widely use in small market countries.. And now even more that msn/aim are dead.. I know in my country 8 out 10 use bbm.. Its just a great messenger app.

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Although very late to the game, this is a welcomed app IMO. I see this as a viable replacement to whatsapp

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
Would have appreciated this 3 years in school, no longer needed/wanted.

Thanks anyway RIM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.