Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wc17

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
Hmmm sounds a bit sketchy.... Thanks for the heads-up.

Can I ask, is this something you've found from running the beta on an iPhone 4 or just 'heard about'?

I had the GM loaded on my iPhone 4 that im loaning to a friend so I had a chance to play with it. I couldnt tell you of any features that might be missing (tranperancy and paralax I THINK are missing?) but the one thing that hit me was definitely how SLOW everything was loading/moving.

peanutismint

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
Cardiff, UK
Hi OP, there's another thread here that talks about the performance on the iPhone 4: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1633905/

I'm also on an iPhone 4 too, but I'm hoping to update to see how it runs. I might do a clean wipe before I install it though.

Thanks so much! Very useful. Yes I think if I'm going to try it I'm gonna do a clean wipe/get rid of all the apps I never use, too. There's a few that'll be made obsolete by their features now appearing in iOS apps, like I heard there's a 'hidden' feature in the compass app that gives you a spirit level, something I had another app for in the past.... And also a QR code reader 'hidden' in the PassBook app...??

Very cool anyway. Worth a try! :)

navodwickra

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2013
Leeds, UK
I'm currently running jailbroken 5.1.1 on my iPhone 4. Never bothered to update to iOS 6 but now fancying iOS 7. I've found my phone has become more and more sluggish over the years, and if I upgrade to iOS 7 I'm worried that's going to become worse and worse.

Anybody know what performance of iOS 7 is like on an iPhone 4?

You can't update the hardware like in a PC (or a mac) so yeah Phones going to be sluggish with new firmware every year and iPhone 4 is no exception. It won't be completely unusable but comparing it with 2010 summer yeah it would be sluggish and slow. My iPad 2 was lighting fast when I bought it in 2011 but now with iOS 7 it's bit slow and sluggish.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
My girlfriends 4S has all the same visual effects my 5 has. Has the life photo filters, dynamic wallpaper, blurring, etc.

Well that's awesome! I really think they ought to have dropped support for the 4 because it's so lacking visually in iOS 7.

peanutismint

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
Cardiff, UK
You can't update the hardware like in a PC (or a mac) so yeah Phones going to be sluggish with new firmware every year and iPhone 4 is no exception. It won't be completely unusable but comparing it with 2010 summer yeah it would be sluggish and slow. My iPad 2 was lighting fast when I bought it in 2011 but now with iOS 7 it's bit slow and sluggish.

See that's interesting because I also have an iPad 2, also jailbroken and running 5.1.1 and it still runs a lot faster than my iPhone 4 on the same version OS.... I guess that's because it has a faster processor etc. but maybe my sluggish iPhone 4 running 5.1.1 is actually colouring my impression of what 'sluggish' means - I mean it's REALLY slow... i.e. every few apps I open I have to 'kill all processes' to make it useable again. If this is the case, maybe a stock, reformatted version of the new iOS 7 won't actually seem THAT slow to me...

Freeway22

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2013
Internally, the iPhone 4S is considerably more powerful -- with a dual-core Apple A5 processor compared to a single core Apple A4 processor on the iPhone 4 model. Not to mention that Apple had also reported that the iPhone 4S had seven times the graphics performance as the iPhone 4.
As the question was regarding performance on an iPhone 4 this 4s anecdote is undoubtedly inapplicable.

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
See that's interesting because I also have an iPad 2, also jailbroken and running 5.1.1 and it still runs a lot faster than my iPhone 4 on the same version OS.... I guess that's because it has a faster processor etc. but maybe my sluggish iPhone 4 running 5.1.1 is actually colouring my impression of what 'sluggish' means - I mean it's REALLY slow... i.e. every few apps I open I have to 'kill all processes' to make it useable again. If this is the case, maybe a stock, reformatted version of the new iOS 7 won't actually seem THAT slow to me...

yes the iPad 2 processor is TONS faster than the iPhone 4. It is faster (slightly) than the 4S even.

navodwickra

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2013
Leeds, UK

That's the dual core processor in iPad 2. It really makes a difference. Try a DFU restore with iOS 7 GM or wait till the public release.

peanutismint

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
Cardiff, UK
You can freely download 7.0 GM and test it on your iPhone. :)

Sorry - I think I've just realised what GM means.... So does this mean if I tried the GM on my iPhone 4 and didn't like it I could downgrade back to 5.1.1 and jailbreak again, but I wouldn't be able to do this on the 'full public release' version of iOS 7??

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
It's basically this:

iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod Touch 5th Gen, iPad Mini and iPad 4: All visual effects and overall good performance.

iPhone 4, iPad 2 and iPad 3: All the visual effects removed, and laggy performance. Keep on iOS 6 for now.

iAmirul

macrumors regular
May 8, 2013
Singapore
It's basically this:

iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod Touch 5th Gen, iPad Mini and iPad 4: All visual effects and overall good performance.

iPhone 4, iPad 2 and iPad 3: All the visual effects removed, and laggy performance. Keep on iOS 6 for now.

Even the iPad 3? I thought iPad 3 performance is superior compared to the iPad mini because of the chip?

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
Even the iPad 3? I thought iPad 3 performance is superior compared to the iPad mini because of the chip?

The iPad 2 has the exact same chip as the iPad Mini, and yet Apple removed all the blur effects, and the performance is laggy. iPad 3 has a more powerful chip, but the retina display kills it, therefore the iPad 3 also has no blur effects, and lags on so many places. :(

Thierry ba

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2012
Sarajevo, Bosnia
Sorry - I think I've just realised what GM means.... So does this mean if I tried the GM on my iPhone 4 and didn't like it I could downgrade back to 5.1.1 and jailbreak again, but I wouldn't be able to do this on the 'full public release' version of iOS 7??

You can always downgrade using shsh on the iPhone4, no matter what you install.

meme1255

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2012
Czechia
I'm trying to save SHSH for 6.1.3 know - Probably it's too late - 09/18/2013 19:19:37.409 For version [iPhone4New 6.1.3 (10B329)] - This device isn't eligible for the requested build. :(:(

peanutismint

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
Cardiff, UK
Hey guys, just for reference - got iOS 7 installed after a few hiccups. Runs just as well if not better than jailbroken 5.1.1 on my iPhone 4. Pretty pleased. Already missing some JB functions tho....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.