Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

youtube.png
Video sharing service YouTube has announced on its blog for creators and partners that it will be updating its mobile apps for iOS and Android with an offline viewing mode, stating that users will be allowed to add videos to their devices to watch for a "short period when an internet connection is unavailable", with AllThingsD reporting that the window will be up to 48 hours.

YouTube says that the feature will be implemented in November and will be a part of many updates planned for YouTube viewing on mobile devices.
This upcoming feature will allow people to add videos to their device to watch for a short period when an Internet connection is unavailable. So your fans' ability to enjoy your videos no longer has to be interrupted by something as commonplace as a morning commute. [...]

Check out the YouTube blog when this launches in November for more details on how this will work for viewers.
YouTube's iOS app was last updated late last month with continuous, touch-free playback of video playlists and a new picture-in-picture playback that allowed users to watch a video while still browsing through search results. The service originally launched a native YouTube app for the iPhone after Apple removed the Apple-supplied YouTube iOS app with the release of iOS 6.

YouTube is a universal app for iOS devices and can be downloaded from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: YouTube to Implement Offline Viewing Mode in iOS App This November

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Thats good but the feature I want most is being able to choose which resolution it plays at.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Damn when it will be possible to run youtube in background

Yes!! Now let us listen to it in background eheh

This.

Thats good but the feature I want most is being able to choose which resolution it plays at.

And this.

Or at the very least pick a reasonable default resolution based on device capability and connection quality. Google always seems to fail when it comes to UX issues, and this is no exception.

trainwrecka

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2007
Earth
Oh, how I miss the Apple-run YouTube app. There are so many ads in the Google version. Funny how those HD ads never have an issue loading, but the video you actually want to watch is broadcast in 240p and can't load past 5 seconds...

iRalph

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2012
Miami, Fl
There are so many things the YouTube app still needs such as:

-Being able to reply to comments
-Being able to change the playback resolution
-Being able to play audio in the background!

----------

iOS restriction.

It works in other apps on iOS.. I don't think it has anything to do with iOS...

DOSNET

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2013

You don't really need that on an iOS device. The app can decide what resolution is best for the device you're running on quite easily. At least that's how I would implement the YouTube app. Don't know how Google does it.

Ventilatedbrain

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2012
Guys seriously ... The solution is an app called mctube .. Offline playing , choosing the resolution , background playing ...etc etc I almost never use YouTube app

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
There are so many things the YouTube app still needs such as:

-Being able to reply to comments
-Being able to change the playback resolution
-Being able to play audio in the background!

----------

It works in other apps on iOS.. I don't think it has anything to do with iOS...

Video isn't an available function for background API. I assume the other apps are doing some special magic to stream it as an audio stream. Youtube could do that, I suppose... but I don't think they want their official app to be used as a music player.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
Oh, how I miss the Apple-run YouTube app. There are so many ads in the Google version. Funny how those HD ads never have an issue loading, but the video you actually want to watch is broadcast in 240p and can't load past 5 seconds...

This.

Google's YouTube app is pretty bad. McTube Pro used to be the best, before Google and Apple had it removed for offering a caching feature, which is now what Google is going to offer in their app.

The new McTube app is decent, while Protuber offers the caching feature McTube Pro used to have.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
You don't really need that on an iOS device. The app can decide what resolution is best for the device you're running on quite easily. At least that's how I would implement the YouTube app. Don't know how Google does it.

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that for me, the quality will jump up and down throughout the video. Using a third party youtube app that allows setting a default resolution means videos play smoothly all the way through.

I agree that you shouldn't need it but at least in my case, i do.

Lefty21

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2012
Lexington, KY
"So your fans' ability to enjoy your videos no longer has to be interrupted by something as commonplace as a morning commute."

Am I the only one who interprets this as Google encouraging watching videos while driving?

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
"So your fans' ability to enjoy your videos no longer has to be interrupted by something as commonplace as a morning commute."

Am I the only one who interprets this as Google encouraging watching videos while driving?

I interpret this directed to those who commute by bus, train, subway or are in a carpool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.