Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iOS 7 has just been released to the public and a slew of apps are being updated with redesigns, new features, and support for Apple's revamped operating system. We've detailed some of the most notable iOS 7 app updates below and will continue to add new app updates throughout the day.

Pocket (Free) [Direct Link]

Pocket, the popular read-it-later app, has been updated with a feature that allows the app to automatically sync saved articles in the background, meaning the app will always be up-to-date when it is opened. It also includes a new reading view with edge-to-edge images.

OmniFocus 2 for iPhone ($19.99) [Direct Link]

OmniFocus 2 replaces the original OmniFocus app for the iPhone. The app has an entirely refreshed user interface that takes many stylistic cues from iOS 7, featuring a clean white design and bright accent colors. Navigation has been re-imagined to make it easier to save ideas and track goals. OmniFocus 2 syncs with OmniFocus for iPad and OmniFocus for Mac.

omnifocus2.jpg
Gmail (free) [Direct Link]

Google's Gmail app app has gained an updated icon, an enhanced attachment experience that includes larger thumbnails and improved integration with Google apps that allows Google Drive and Google+ links to go directly to the app if installed.

Flipboard (Free) [Direct Link]

Flipboard's iOS 7 update incorporates Apple's new parallax feature to "bring magazine covers to life." It also offers the ability to delete comments within personal magazines and includes additional report functionality for reporting inappropriate users and comments.

Foursquare (Free) [Direct Link]

Foursquare has been redesigned for iOS 7 with a new icon and a revamped user interface. Functionality remains largely the same, but the app now supports iOS 7.

Kindle (Free) [Direct Link]

Amazon's Kindle app has been updated to version 4.0, introducing a complete iOS 7-style redesign that includes flatter controls, translucency effects, and side-out menus. The app also includes Collections, giving customers a way to better organize their libraries.

kindle.jpg
Evernote (Free) [Direct Link]

Evernote has been entirely redesigned for iOS 7, introducing a cleaner, sparser interface that eliminates tabs and shadows of previous versions for a home screen that displays notes, notebooks, tags, shortcuts, and announcements all in one place.

New Quicknote features have been introduced on a bar at the bottom of the home screen, allowing users to quickly launch a new note, snap a photo, create a reminder or make a task list. Image and PDF markup features from Skitch are also present in the new version of the app.

Skype (Free) [Direct Link: iPad/iPhone]

Skype has been updated with video and voice call improvements along with the ability to join group voice calls from the iPad or the iPhone. The dial pad has also been improved and accessibility improvements are bundled into the update as well.

Chrome (Free) [Direct Link]

Google's Chrome app has been updated to version 30, adding a new look for iOS 7. Improvements to fullscreen behavior have been added to the iPad version of the app, and there's a new settings interface. Maps and email links will also now launch within Google Maps and Gmail if the apps are installed.

Zillow (Free) [Direct Link]

Real Estate by Zillow has been optimized for iOS 7, introducing a redesigned app that brings important information like basic home facts and photographs to the forefront of each listing, simplifying the process of searching for a home.

zillow.jpg

- Twitter (Free) [Direct Link]

Twitter for iOS has received a small update that introduces a slight redesign, including a flatter toolbar and new buttons. Other than the modified look, the app is largely the same, but Twitter is said to be preparing a much bigger update that will be released sometime in the future.

- Instapaper ($3.99) [Direct Link]

Instapaper has been updated to version 5.0, adding a new iOS 7-style look to the app. "Read Later" articles can now be sorted by date, article length, and more, and articles can also be filtered by reading time. There's an improved sepia theme, along with improved parsing abilities and a darker splash screen that introduces a better night reading experience.

instapaper.jpg
- Facebook (Free) [Direct Link]

Facebook's iOS 7 update includes a new row of tabs at the bottom of the screen, in order to improve navigation throughout the app. Several of the icons within the app have also been revamped.

Article Link: iOS 7 App Update Roundup: Pocket, Evernote, OmniFocus 2, Kindle, and More

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
The best thing about the iOS 7 redesign is that developers use the occasion to redesign their own apps. Sounds trivial, but I never really thought about it. This might be exciting.

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2005
The best thing about the iOS 7 redesign is that developers use the occasion to redesign their own apps. Sounds trivial, but I never really thought about it. This might be exciting.

We've updated Tap Play: Star Controller too :) Not the headline that some of the other apps are but still...gotta boast what we've got :)

DonutHands

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Los Angeles
Do we really want every app to be redesigned so they all look the same? Really devs, its ok to create an original look and feel for your your apps/brands.

tbl

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
Excited for what Facebook's cooking up!

http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/9/18/4744904/how-facebook-secretly-redesigned-its-iphone-app-with-your-help

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
Do we really want every app to be redesigned so they all look the same? Really devs, its ok to create an original look and feel for your your apps/brands.

I totally agree with you. Certainly you need to try and create your own niche.

Having said that I was initially unsure about the look and feel of iOS 7 and having now used it consistently for the past couple of weeks, it's incredible how something can look so dated, so quickly i.e. iOS 6.

I really like the new design and I think that developers to some extent like the new look as well and so are trying to give their customers the same familiarity throughout their iPhone experience.

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
i did not get a Facebook update, although my appstore says it's up to date. I do not have those buttons mentioned above.

Belmont31R

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2012
Facebook update is live. Had to delete it from my wife's phone then install again. Said OPEN instead of UPDATE otherwise. Had to search the App Store.

aacealo

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2012
The new Facebook app has tabs at the bottom. I had access to it for awhile. It made the app much less interactive and more complex. I had the app for several days (maybe a week or more) before it got changed back. Simple tasks required more taps than before. I hated it the entire time. I'm an early adopter (hence my downloading of iOS 7 as I type). I love new software and usually give its quarks a free pass. But seriously, no side menu? The menu that does exist is on the opposite side of the phone from where it used to be. That wouldn't be as much of a problem in any corner except the bottom right, since I use the phone left-handed this "update" totally hosed me last time. Then, I personally find having tabs at the bottom MUCH less useful than tabs at the top. In addition to requiring more taps, the fact that the search bar is at the top means that your fingers have to travel farther to accomplish the same thing (bottom of screen to top of screen and repeat...). All that means the app requires more of my time to use. I think Facebook UTTERLY FAILED on the design. I hope they get TONS of NEGATIVE feedback.

bcburrows

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Bristol
Agree

I wish the App Store allowed upgrade discounts. (OmniFocus)

I completely agree, and it is something that will delay me from updating, especially as I do not feel I have had the current iteration of apps that long (am not saying they have not been out for ages, just I have not had them for ages).

However omni did try and give discounts, but apple apparently would not let them....

Hence I buy their mac apps direct, but obviously the iOS devices do not provide that option, and I presume I can not buy cut price discount codes from them direct.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.