Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ekrem13

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Nothing mentioned about atv on apple event yeaterday, so there won't be any upgrade or update for atv soon?

ekrem13

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
I read that new ATV software is coming on the 18th, same day as iOS7.

right, it was what rumored before but apple tread water on apple tv on the event. will they release with osx maverics next month?

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
While Apple didn't say anything at the event about ATV (other than mentioning iTunes Radio would be on it) , I'm hearing pretty authoritative reports that the ATV will be getting iOS7 on the 18th, just like the other iOS devices.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
right, it was what rumored before but apple tread water on apple tv on the event. will they release with osx maverics next month?

Apple will release it when they release iOS 7 since that is what is running underneath. There would be no reason to time it with the Mavericks release. They have already been releasing betas during the iOS 7 beta phase. They won't it coming out the same day is iOS does on iPhones/iPads since it will include the new radio feature.

Godzilla71

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2009
WA state
any updates ?

I would assume if there is it would probably come about the same time that ios7 is released. So about 7 more hours i guess i'll be checking for updates unless by some weird chance they roll out the ATV update earlier but i doubt it.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Not unprecedented.

Sept 19 - iOS 6 Release Date
Sept 24 - Apple TV Software 5.1 based on iOS 6

It also happened with iOS 4.x I believe. With iOS 5, they managed to get it on the same day as launch but it had a show-stopping bug and they immediately pulled it.

The only thing making this unusual is Apple confirming to All Things D it would be released today.

"People familiar with the company’s plans said that Apple TV is scheduled for an internal overhaul on Sept. 18, the same day Apple releases its iOS 7 mobile operating software."

http://allthingsd.com/20130911/that-apple-tv-refresh-is-coming-next-week/

I'm sure it doesn't help they were having activation server issues earlier in the day.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
The aTV betas are removed from Dev center. I can't remember when I saw it update last, it is set to auto update.

I'm running 6.0 (6646.35.2)

machpost

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
Washington, DC
Hopefully there's an update coming soon, because AirPlay on my iPhone 5 running iOS 7 does not work with my Apple TV on the current software version. In fact, attempting to AirPlay to the Apple TV kills my crappy Linksys router, requiring a re-boot (of the router).

kevpan815

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2013
Algonquin, IL U.S.A.
working perfect here ios7 airplay with macbook, and iPhone 5 and iPad mini running ios7

A friendly reminder: This post is referring to the fact that Apple TV did NOT get the Apple TV 6.0 GM Seed yesterday, and has nothing to do with Air Play and IOS 7. Could we please stay On Topic Please? This is the Apple TV Sub-Forum after all. Thank You.

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
Apple TV working perfectly with iOS7 on a 5 and a 4S (just mentioning this so as to confirm no Apple TV update is necessary)

machpost

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
Washington, DC
I think my problem is actually related to my router, but it didn't pop up until I upgraded to iOS 7. There are well-documented issues with many Linksys consumer routers and AirPlay, apparently.

SluGuru

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
Apple did state that iTunes Radio would be on Apple TV as well as the new Photo Stream features, so I would expect to see at least a few functionality additions at some point.

machpost

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
Washington, DC
Apple did state that iTunes Radio would be on Apple TV as well as the new Photo Stream features, so I would expect to see at least a few functionality additions at some point.

There were other new features revealed in the beta software releases for the Apple TV months ago, like the conference room mode. So there's definitely an update coming.

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
I'm wondering if holding off on ATV updates means that they plan on announcing some kind of ATV changes at the October ("iPad") event (also possibly an iPod refresh at that time?), whether it simply wasn't ready in time, or if they're holding back because of the server/network load for iOS 7 and the new iPhones.

Cinephi1e

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
Northwest Ohio
I'm wondering if holding off on ATV updates means that they plan on announcing some kind of ATV changes at the October ("iPad") event (also possibly an iPod refresh at that time?), whether it simply wasn't ready in time, or if they're holding back because of the server/network load for iOS 7 and the new iPhones.

I have been wondering about this myself. Particularly because there is some speculation about a new gaming capable Apple TV:
https://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/11/apple-could-be-planning-to-release-updated-apple-tv-box-next-month/

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
Of course it was just released. I should never post a theory until after 10:00 AM Cupertino time. Then I can possibly be right for almost 24 hours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.