Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ts599

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2011
U.S.A
I've just upgraded to iOS 7 and when I try to activate iMessages the settings app just quits. When I try to sign into Facetime it says to check the connection. I'm connected to my home wifi network that has a 10 mbps download and 1 mbps upload speed. Any ideas on how to fix this? Also I'm running iOS 7 on and iPhone 4s.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
There have been a lot of other threads on this topic. I am not sure what the remedy is, but you might want to check them out to see if other users have solved it.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
And I have tried everything suggested in the other threads to no avail. Google, too. Airplane mode, wifi, reset network settings, reinstall iOS 7, set up as new...

NOTHING. IS. WORKING.

alsjdfalsjfsdaljsadlkjasljs(*#@(&@$#RY*R(*$#YR(*$#

TruthbeQuiet

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013
I tried the method where you first restore your phone with the beta, downgrade to 6.1.3, set up phone as new, THEN update back to the beta iMessage and Facetime turn on. But When I tried to restore to my last back-up, iMessage went back to not working as before.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
It is working for some, so that isn't the answer.

Oh right? Huh - well that makes it a bit tougher. Cheers for the info.

Early beta etc etc - I guess there's some caveats there. I wouldn't install it on my daily driver iPhone.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
I downgraded back to 6.1.3, setting up as new, and I can't get iMessage to activate on 6.1.3 either now. Sigh.

rogeliojeda

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2011
A couple of friends go that issue, all we had to do was to proper setup the date and time (we even went to Privacy-Location Services-System services-Turning ON Setting Time Zone). That should fix the issues. Good luck.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
A couple of friends go that issue, all we had to do was to proper setup the date and time (we even went to Privacy-Location Services-System services-Turning ON Setting Time Zone). That should fix the issues. Good luck.

Doesn't work. I have tried everything I can think of or found on Google. I've even tried downgrading - and now nothing activates on 6.1.3 either.

ts599

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2011
U.S.A
So. just set it up as a new iPhone and you should be fine!! No joke before I restored from the back up everything worked.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
So. just set it up as a new iPhone and you should be fine!! No joke before I restored from the back up everything worked.

Tried that as well.

Here is a list of everything (that I can remember) that I've done:

- Putting phone into airplane mode, then enabling Wi-Fi
- Changing DNS of Wi-Fi connection to something like 8.8.8.8. etc
- Logging out of my Apple ID
- Making sure my mobile number is correct for my Apple ID
- Making sure my payment information is up to date on Apple ID
- Changing my mobile number in Phone > My Number and then changing it back
- Turning iMessage/FaceTime on and off, rebooting phone (multiple times)
- Changing Date & Time to "set automatically"
- Reset Network Settings
- Reset all settings
- Erase all content / settings from phone and starting over
- Creating myself as a contact and adding my Apple ID email address & telephone number
- Restoring phone to multiple iOS versions
- Setting up phone as new on multiple iOS versions

Literally nothing I can do will activate iMessage again. And Apple has no idea how to fix it. :\

mteezy17

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2013
I called Apple about this because my phone is doing the same thing. Tech support said that it is because so many people are currently on Apple's server trying to download iOS 7 and activate their own iMessage. he said it is just a waiting game and you'll have to keep trying until it works. it sucks but it happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.