Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pinkoos

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2005
Texas
Any iTunes Match subscribers still having problems with artwork not downloading ?

Just installed ios7 again and no artwork at all for match :(

Yes, me. But it's weird - my iphone 5 only has bits and pieces of artwork. Same for my younger son's iPod touch. But, my older son's touch and my wife's iphone 4 has 99% of the album art.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
I posted a separate thread because I didn't see this one first, but my iPhone 5 and iPad 3 are both having odd issues with the Music App with regards to iTunes Match.

The actual music listed on them both differ, and I can't keep iTunes Match turned ON on the iPad. It's like Match just crashes. The music list will switch from complete (with match results) to just device music. The master Match setting in Settings turns itself OFF.

When I start Music, I often get "Loading iTunes Match..." forever.

Lets hope this is due to launch day server overload. I leave for vacation in a few days and don't want devices that don't work.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I actually wonder why the iOS music app places such a strong emphasis on albums. Who the heck buys entire albums anymore? Maybe I'll buy one once in a very long while, but the vast majority of my music is individual song purchases, so when I browse by artist I see a huge mess of incomplete albums.

There should be a "I hardly ever buy entire albums" switch, that when turned on, removes album information from everything except the "albums" tab.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
I actually wonder why the iOS music app places such a strong emphasis on albums. Who the heck buys entire albums anymore? Maybe I'll buy one once in a very long while, but the vast majority of my music is individual song purchases, so when I browse by artist I see a huge mess of incomplete albums.

There should be a "I hardly ever buy entire albums" switch, that when turned on, removes album information from everything except the "albums" tab.

Because Apple makes more money selling you an album than a song. DUH! :)

gnortenjones

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
I really dislike the new music app for the following reasons:

1. All the controls are scrunched into the bottom 1/4 of the screen. Im finding it hard to use the controls without accidentally hitting the wrong one.

2. The white background is awful, especially at night. I use my phone for music in my car with a mount, and the white background is just annoying at night.

3. Showing album artwork instead of a simple list means more scrolling.

4. Having a scrolling single line for song info instead of separate lines is just less efficient.

I'm hoping Apple will change things, but I'm not holdingmy breathe

ninjaplz

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2013
Are there any podcasts on your device?
The Audiobooks tab won't appear until you actually load an audiobook so maybe the podcast tab is the same.

I deleted them right away when i couldn't find them. I have an 32gb 3GS that I use as my "iPod" to listen to them

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Agreed on all points.

White lit frame to the album art looks brutal... that's why nobody else uses white light around photo/video.

I can only see ~3.5 artists per page now rather than 8. Once you go in an artist, songs are all over the place.

In Apple/Ive's mind, everyone has complete albums, and doesn't care about which songs they listen to... they just listen to music rather than pick songs.

me7

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2013

Are we using the same iOS 7? iOS6 used to place strong emphasis on albums and grouped your songs by albums, giving you a list of albums to scroll through. iOS7 on the other hand throws all songs by a band into a single list. Scrolling through that list is very annoying when a band had a long career and released more than 300 songs.

As to the question "who listens to full albums anymore", probably the same kind of people who listened to full albums 50 years ago. Some genres are very album-orinted like Classical music, Progressive Rock and Progressive Metal.

Septillion

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2013
China
Lots of changes in the Music app and thought it could use it's own thread. Anyone else disappointed with some of the changes so far?

The Bad (and missing)
- Removed ability to change song ratings (are you kidding?!)
- iTunes Match: Cannot download all songs in playlist (only 1x1)
- iTunes Match: Missing artists - All songs are there but some artists are missing. Anyone else experiencing this? Yes, I have played with the "group by" setting.
- Text links instead of buttons (so/so on this, but worth mentioning)

The Good
- iTunes Radio: Very cool, still need to experiment more
- Cleaner look, like all of iOS 7
- Album, track and album icons
- Controls on lock screen (way better than double-tap to me!)

The key problem for me is the removal of the song ratings. Most of my playlists are driven by ratings, and iOS 6 (and prior) the ratings could be updated on my mobile device. Now i've got to remember which songs I liked and update iTunes afterwards.

Anyone else share this frustration? Thoughts on new features etc?

Music rating is still there, you have to dig it out.
I still love what it looks on iOS 6, iPad running iOS 7 have lost the old beautiful album view.

lunarmac

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2003
Maybe this was covered but I noticed that holding down the title of a song no longer gives you the full title if the title was longer than the screen. This was neat little feature in iOS 6. Odd that they didn't include this but I guess that's what happens when you decide to rewrite a program.

Also, custom made audiobooks no longer display chapter selections. This is just plain stupid.

Bootsie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
Utah
I updated to iOS 7 today at work, I had to delete some music off of my phone in order to make room for the update thinking that i could just put it back on when I got home, but now when I sync it with itunes it will not put all of the music back on...

For instance I have one playlist that I listen to everyday called favorites, on itunes it has 128 songs, but on my phone it only has 35?!

Some of the music was bought with a different itunes account but it is authorized on my computer and I have never had a problem with the music going onto my phone. I also have apps bought with that account that went on it fine.

Do I need to authorize the other account on my phone? How? Is anyone else having this problem?

Please help I need more music on this phone!!! Thanks everyone

Laimbeersux

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2010
Lots of problems so far but is be happy to be able to simply open and use the basic music player functionality of the Music app. Like the podcasts and videos apps, my Music app won't even open. Just freezes and crashes.

serratedauto

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2013
I really dislike the new music app for the following reasons:

1. All the controls are scrunched into the bottom 1/4 of the screen. Im finding it hard to use the controls without accidentally hitting the wrong one.

2. The white background is awful, especially at night. I use my phone for music in my car with a mount, and the white background is just annoying at night.

3. Showing album artwork instead of a simple list means more scrolling.

4. Having a scrolling single line for song info instead of separate lines is just less efficient.

I'm hoping Apple will change things, but I'm not holdingmy breathe

Amen!

I absolutely loathe the new layout. I run a lot of marathons/5Ks/etc, and if I can't hit those damn buttons at the bottom of the screen when I'm standing still, what makes you think I can hit them when I'm all sweaty and moving? I loved what they did in iOS6, where you could tap the screen and have the scrubber/shuffle/repeat buttons appear and then hide them later. That was a good idea....

Also the fact that it now shows each the album artwork for each artist in the artist view means that I can only see a few artists at a time, and I really dislike how the songs for each artist are listed in a continuous list (still sorted by album) instead of being separated by album. I have a 64GB iphone, so I would think scrolling through the list of artists and rendering the artwork would require a lot of CPU time.

I really hope Apple changes it or gives more options for customization (doubtful). The reason I like the iphone is that I've always liked how they organized their music app, but after upgrading to iOS7, I would rather just use the music app on the new android phones.

Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention that iTunes 11.X (yes, even the new version released to support iOS7) crashes on my ultrabook and desktop if I do anything OTHER than play my music or sync to my devices. iTunes store....crash, view music on iPhone....crash. I'm so disappointed in what they've done with this stuff....

narly

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2008
I've not upgraded yet, and I don't think I will be. The music portion of iOS7 is the most used for me. The inability to modify views, delete albums/artists, and the general piss poor approach by apple on the app which essentially made it so successful is appalling.

elfary

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
The murder of Cover Flow has made of iOS 7 a no-go for me.

95% of my 64Gb iPhone 4S usage time is music.

The Cover Flow was a beautiful way to sort out the stored albums (ala good old days of vinyl flipping). It was a great gift for album listeners. There are still album listeners out there in the wild ;)

The current artwork grid is unispiring and do not let the album artwork to shine.

That paired with icon ugliness makes me a happy camper frozen in iOS 6.

Joni Ive is very good.

Steve Jobs was great.

That's what have changed in Apple.

Last edited:

emperor.penguin

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
1. Does anyone have a problem where the some artists pictures doesn't show? It really annoys me. Anyone knows how to fix this?

2. I can't shuffle all songs from 1 genre :(

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
So here's where I'm at now:

iTunes 11.1, let it do it's thing, uploaded latest match results.
Shift-click upgraded to iOS7 release, over top of the GM.

Music app now no longer displays my matched music, just stuff I've purchased via iTunes. No amount of turning match and show all on and off has fixed this. And now album art from some of my iTunes purchased music is gone, lol.

Agathon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
The album view doesn't work properly for me. The songs aren't in order and won't go into the right order no matter what I press. Yet under the artist setting they are all in the right order. This is not good enough.

curiosity

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2013
I heard that on the iPhone 4/4s the album art is now much smaller because Apple don't care about older displays. Is that true?

iPaul93

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
I heard that on the iPhone 4/4s the album art is now much smaller because Apple don't care about older displays. Is that true?

No,it isn't true.I have an iPhone 4 and an iPod 5th G and they are the same size.
Personally,I hate the new layout.I highly dislike the albums artwork(it's far too large) and the artist artwork.They should let you customize(the size of the icons).

Vane

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2013
Did anyone else experience that bug?
Genius tab appears twice and is not removeable.
It's annoying...

Edit:
Turning off Genius and turn it back on doesn't fix the problem. Weird.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

hazuki

macrumors regular
May 17, 2013
Bali
Does anyone know why there is a space between the lyrics? While it shows no space on iTunes or iOS6 device

How to get rid of that space? :(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 74

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
1. Does anyone have a problem where the some artists pictures doesn't show? It really annoys me. Anyone knows how to fix this?

2. I can't shuffle all songs from 1 genre :(

I am also having an album art issue. last week I had deleted all my music from iTunes match, deleted it all from iTunes, turned off iTunes match. Brought all the music back into iTunes. Fixed all of my artwork (3,000 songs). then turned iTunes match back on. Doing this fixed all of the art issues.

But now the problem is back :(

For your second problem i think you can ask Siri to shuffle all songs from 1 genre.

Deadman64

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
Whenever I'm listening to music through headphones or via USB in my car when I unlock my device the music skips back a few seconds or else skips forward to some random time.

Anyone else experience this?

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Upgraded my iPhone 5 to iOS7 and I am having a lot of issues with the music app. Anyone else having these too?

I usually have my library on shuffle in the morning and skip over songs I don't want. iOS7 Music App will sporadically not play songs. It shows the pause button (so it's in play mode), but the seek/scrub isn't moving through the track. I press pause then play and nothing happens.

I scrub to a later part in the song and hit play and the seek/scrub goes backwards to the beginning of the track and doesn't play. Very rarely it will move through the track, but no sound.

I have tired quitting the app and rebooting the phone. It has nothing to do with my audio files, as I never had this issue before iOS7. Some tracks that played for me yesterday would not play this morning.

Sometimes it will just do a loading icon on the artwork and get stuck. This is so frustrating. Might go back to iOS6 but then I have to re-load evertyhing back on manually.

Anyone having any of these issues? Ideas how to fix? Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.