Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trodat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
How about that for a title.

So I downloaded iOS7 last night and this morning plugged it into my computer to update my daily playlist and guess what..... iTunes does not recognise my phone. I need iTunes 11.1 - but that wont work on 10.5.8

I'm sure most of you think why not just upgrade to 10.6 - well last time I did that it kept on switching itself off (the Mac) and became almost unusable.

Can I go back to iOS6? HELP!!! I need my music ha

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
How about that for a title.

So I downloaded iOS7 last night and this morning plugged it into my computer to update my daily playlist and guess what..... iTunes does not recognise my phone. I need iTunes 11.1 - but that wont work on 10.5.8

I'm sure most of you think why not just upgrade to 10.6 - well last time I did that it kept on switching itself off (the Mac) and became almost unusable.

Can I go back to iOS6? HELP!!! I need my music ha
hmm, when did you update to 10.6? (and what Mac?) ...I have updated to 10.7 & 10.8, but found 10.6.8 to be more stable, faster than all the rest (newer and older), miss it sometimes. (edit: but, previous to 10.6.8, like 10.6.5 or something, it had some issues.)

trodat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
hmm, when did you update to 10.6? (and what Mac?) ...I have updated to 10.7 & 10.8, but found 10.6.8 to be more stable, faster than all the rest (newer and older), miss it sometimes. (edit: but, previous to 10.6.8, like 10.6.5 or something, it had some issues.)

I did it the other week! I posted on this forum somewhere and it was a common problem with certain Mac's something to do with the graphics card if I remember rightly. Hoping to get this sorted before my run otherwise ZERO music/podcasts :( not happy! LOL!

Help much appreciated

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
oh, ok, well, until you can get that worked out somehow (I recommend 10.6.8 over 10.5.x, if you can get it running, noticeable speed improvement for starters), as long as you were syncing (and backing up) fine in the arrangement you have now, with your iPhone & iOS 6, then you should be able to go in to DFU mode, and restore to iOS 6, set up as a new phone, then go back and manually do a restore from backup. If you're not sure how to do this, I can post a link.

----------

which iPhone?

trodat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
oh, ok, well, until you can get that worked out somehow (I recommend 10.6.8 over 10.5.x, if you can get it running, noticeable speed improvement for starters), as long as you were syncing (and backing up) fine in the arrangement you have now, with your iPhone & iOS 6, then you should be able to go in to DFU mode, and restore to iOS 6, set up as a new phone, then go back and manually do a restore from backup. If you're not sure how to do this, I can post a link.

----------

which iPhone?

Found one and done it - thanks mate! Money making spin by Apple no doubt (iOS7) as you need to upgrade other stuff blah blah blah! Anyway cheers again :)

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Hey, guess what? If you want iOS 7, you can completely bypass iTunes. Just set up your iphone over wifi. Only catch is, not sure about getting your photos and music on there, unless you have them in iCloud, then you should be set. ...Well, you can try it, always go back if it doesn't work out, right?

I have a friend with same issue...can't do itunes 11.1 on OS X 10.5.8...but, he just told me today he ordered a new mac mini...problem solved, lol. But, that's why I know about above paragraph, I asked around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.