Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
I can't help but be annoyed. I bought an iPhone 5 because I liked the device, iOS 6, and Apple's policy of continuing to issue software updates/security patches.

I did not expect iOS 7 would look the way it does, or have usability issues with the font and brite-white interface. Apps app updates today are starting to adopt the iOS 7 styling.

At some point I will be forced to get iOS 7 in order to receive patches, but if I can't get used to the look, what's a good alternative handset that won't be abandoned as far as updates? I know that the Nexus gets updates regularly. Anything else?

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Keep your eye on the upcoming Nexus 5. That's probably your best bet.

If you are ambitious enough to learn to flash, virtually any phone will be good then when it comes to updates.

Otherwise, there are the Google Play Edition phones of the Galaxy S4 and the HTC One. Between those two, I'd choose the One, unless camera is extremely important. If camera is important, I'd go no where near the One.

But again, your best bet is waiting about a month for the Nexus 5.

Regardless, there's a wonderful world to be discovered with Android.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Nexus or Google Play edition (Galaxy S4, HTC One) phones are the ones to go for if updates are imprtaint.

Nexus device are updated faster than the GPe versions but I've been happy with updates to my HTC One. 4.3 took just 9 days to come to the thing.

Waiting to see what happens with my HTC One and KitKat when it launches. Hopefully it'll be a swift release for my One.

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
absolutely. I've realized with this release of ios 7 that any hope for the Jobs era Apple is gone. The majority of mainstream will not realize this for a long time because giving lollipops to babies has a profound effect. However with the amount of bugs that came out with this new version it's clear that the priorities have shifted DRASTICALLY at Apple.

mjb1975

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2013
absolutely. I've realized with this release of ios 7 that any hope for the Jobs era Apple is gone. The majority of mainstream will not realize this for a long time because giving lollipops to babies has a profound effect. However with the amount of bugs that came out with this new version it's clear that the priorities have shifted DRASTICALLY at Apple.

Every, single major Android release has been plagued by bugs too. Its part of being an early adopter. Problem there is that Google will blame your carrier since they are the ones who add all their garbage bloatware to your phone before they release it. Your carrier will then blame Google or whoever makes your phone and you will just have to deal with it until a fix comes along a month or two later. Good luck with that though.

Evnor

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2011
I could not stand iOS7 (I have used it now for 1,5 months) so I moved to S4 and I could not be any happier. iOS7 feels bit childish to me and the transition animations make me feel nauseous. There are only two things I miss on iOS; (few) apps and iMessage BUT those are not a dealbreakers.

I am still using iPad 2 and might upgrade to upcoming iPad 5 (only because of apps). But getting iPhone 5S.. Meh.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Every, single major Android release has been plagued by bugs too. Its part of being an early adopter. Problem there is that Google will blame your carrier since they are the ones who add all their garbage bloatware to your phone before they release it. Your carrier will then blame Google or whoever makes your phone and you will just have to deal with it until a fix comes along a month or two later. Good luck with that though.

When has this ever happened, Google blaming an OEM for issues with the base Android OS? I can't ever recall this happening so far.

Anything wrong with the base OS is fixed and pushed to AOSP when available. In turn, Nexus and GPE devices then get the updates.

If some Samsung, HTC or carrier customisation is causing a problem and is not a part of the AOSP code, then it is their responsibility to fix it. Those customisations are nothing to do with any Android release either.

Donki

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2013
Nope I like the update and had no real issues, its been out less than 24hrs ffs. Watch you dont hit your face with your knee with knee jerk reactions like that :D.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
I can't help but be annoyed. I bought an iPhone 5 because I liked the device, iOS 6, and Apple's policy of continuing to issue software updates/security patches.

I did not expect iOS 7 would look the way it does, or have usability issues with the font and brite-white interface. Apps app updates today are starting to adopt the iOS 7 styling.

At some point I will be forced to get iOS 7 in order to receive patches, but if I can't get used to the look, what's a good alternative handset that won't be abandoned as far as updates? I know that the Nexus gets updates regularly. Anything else?

all the top android phones get updated frequently if you download the roms yourself, its the official ones that aren't as frequent

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I had my first experience with IOS 7 yesterday on my ipad. The animations really hurt my head if that makes sense. It does not look put together well at all. I feel like every menu looks different and the color choices make my eyes bleed.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011

Yes because Google has never pushed any x.x.1 updates ever. You know, the ones that address bugs.

:rolleyes:

Based on a few of your other posts, I think we have a new troll, ladies and gents.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Yes because Google has never pushed any x.x.1 updates ever. You know, the ones that address bugs.

Based on a few of your other posts, I think we have a new troll, ladies and gents.

And his tenure seems to have been a short one, considering is account status now. ;)

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012

If you were previously happy with how iOS worked I would give it some time to see if it grows on you.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
When my iPhone 5 was jail broken I had exactly 4 tweaks.

I don't remember all the names of the tweaks but here is their core function:

1- lockscreen notification center
2- quick setting toggles
3- auxo (more visual task manager with gestures)
4- Barrel which provided some visual flair to the home screen.

Apple was reading my mind with iOS 7 and added everything I sought with jail break tweaks. I like the way it looks and it flows wonderfully on my iPhone 5 and iPad 4.

If anything Apple has done enough to draw me back to my iPhone 5 from my current galaxy S4 by eliminating what was some of the things I personally found must annoying about iOS.

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska

His point is semi-valid though. Yes, iOS7 was released with bugs. Android X.0 releases usually do too. It isn't a "drastic shift in priorities" at Apple... It is just a matter of growing pains that come with any major rebuild of an OS. The only difference is that Google does major updates regularly, while Apple doesn't.

I updated the 4S last night and I'm not sure how I feel. I'm not 100% impressed, but I don't hate it at all. It's a big shift... I'm sure I'll adjust though. It's definitely a "lighter" OS between the colors, the transparency, etc. Some of the functionality is pretty slick too.

I do have my eye on the Nexus 5 though... not that Verizon will carry it (or at least, not redesign it into some hideous chunk of VZW-graffiti'd plastic).

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
His point is semi-valid though. Yes, iOS7 was released with bugs. Android X.0 releases usually do too. It isn't a "drastic shift in priorities" at Apple... It is just a matter of growing pains that come with any major rebuild of an OS. The only difference is that Google does major updates regularly, while Apple doesn't.

I updated the 4S last night and I'm not sure how I feel. I'm not 100% impressed, but I don't hate it at all. It's a big shift... I'm sure I'll adjust though. It's definitely a "lighter" OS between the colors, the transparency, etc. Some of the functionality is pretty slick too.

I do have my eye on the Nexus 5 though... not that Verizon will carry it (or at least, not redesign it into some hideous chunk of VZW-graffiti'd plastic).

His post suggested that the difference between bugs with Android updates versus bugs with iOS updates is that Google doesn't address them, and instead only points the finger at carriers, etc.

That's the point that I was contending. I would never deny bugs exist in the first round of updates.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Everyone knew iOS 7 would polarize. It's really interesting going through the iOS 7 forum reading what people like and dislike.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I've had iOS 7 on my iPad mini since the GM came out last week and I'm actually starting to like most of it. I don't think I will ever like the very fine font they're using, at least not while I still own the mini. I feel like it was designed more for retina screens and just doesn't look good on older hardware.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
im fortunate enough to have my phone which is android and an ipad which is ios7 now to mess with both.

both have their pros and cons and i really like the clean look of the ios7 on my ipad but the enhancements are something ive been used to already on an android device.

i definitely like the look and feel on my ipad better as it just feels very clean,snappy, and more functional.

still wouldnt go back to an iphone at this point though as for me screen size is a huge factor in my day to day use of my "phone"

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Everyone knew iOS 7 would polarize. It's really interesting going through the iOS 7 forum reading what people like and dislike.

I feel like the new features on iOS 7 are worth the flatter, more childish look. I can tolerate the look with things like iTunes radio, quick selecting bluetooth and such.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
iOS 7 definitely pushed me to Android for good. I used the beta and I just cannot stand the design. Its the sane boring iOS just with a make over; and a bad make over. There's not really that many new features and nothing innovative. I sold my iPhone 5 and just use my N4 now. I think Googles "project Kennedy" design language is much more pleasing to look at. Apple can get that Aereo out of my face. I'm also done paying insane prices for a phone and a plan on a contract. The nexus prices have spoiled me and I use T-Mobiles $30 a month plan. I get around 22mbps on my N4 where I live. The new iphones were exactly what I expected: a slight bump for the 5S with a useless fingerprint scanner and a 5 in a plastic case that is still too expensive unlocked. I am more excited to get my hands on the next Nexus phone and see what Android 4.4 brings.

I used to be a huge Apple fanboy and had an iPhone since the 3GS but now its all just boring. I barely kept up on the last event and I've been ignoring all the apple headlines in my RSS feed because its the same crap that's written every year.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Hey OP - I'd encourage you to try it for a while.....

If you still don't like it, Android is a great option. Try not to get sucked in with all these knee-jerk idiot reactions.

I first started using iOS 7 during beta and my initial reaction was not terribly positive as far as the UI goes.

After using it throughout the Beta process I sold my iPhone 5 a few weeks ago in preparation for the 5S release and in doing so had to go back to a 4S running iOS 6. I can't tell you how much I dislike iOS 6 now. It looks and feels outdated and cluttered.

I'm not saying you'll have the same reaction. Everyone is different. For Apple to make any substantial changes, it would require a controversy. People who hate it are going to be much more vocal than those who don't care or even than those who like it.

Take some time to get used to it. Then go back and use iOS 6 if you can. If there are other reasons for switching, this post doesn't apply. But if you're simply wanting to switch because you don't like iOS 7 after a day, I'd encourage you to give it more time.

Hope that helps! At any rate, whatever choice you make you'll have great options available to you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.