Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has unveiled a new Kids category on the App Store [Direct Link], MacStories noted. The page includes multiple sections, including the best apps for certain ages, games specifically for kids, and different types of learning apps like 'Create & Play' and 'Shapes & Colors'.

kidspage.jpg
First announced at WWDC in June alongside iOS 7?s developer debut, the Kids category is aimed at facilitating the process of finding apps and games based on age ratings. The category is curated by Apple editors, who, according to the company, "search the App Store for the best apps in each age group -- up to 11 years old".
Back in August, Apple sent emails to developers asking them to submit apps for the new category.

The Kids section is viewable on the App Store on iOS devices, as well as iTunes on Macs and PCs.

Article Link: Apple Rolls Out New 'Kids' Category on App Store

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
What's wrong with using..."emotionally immature humans".

I know a number of very emotionally mature children and emotionally immature adults. "Kids" uses fewer characters than "children" and is generally acceptable for use as a synonym of "children" in the U.S. Besides, maybe Apple is catering to baby goats too.

krewger

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2012
Nice....

It's nice that there is a kids section but what about us who don't have kids and would love to not be asked if we are 17 or older every time we download an adult rated app? I don't know why there isn't a preference in our app store user account profile that sets it so I don't get asked if I am over 17 every time I buy an adult rated app. You have to be 18 to legally sign up for a personal credit card which my iTunes account is linked to.

Netflix has also been hot on the trail of making a kids section. I would love to not see the kids things on my Apple TV as there is never a time I need that there. I appreciate it for friends who have kids but I don't want it personally on my screen. Kids are optional and so should having all this kid stuff show up in a digital store.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I've had developers ask me what type of app they should consider, and I almost always say, something for baby goats ... er, I mean children. It's a _great_ market from books to games. Now it's even better since the noise will be reduced a little, and your app stands a better change of getting visibility.

:cool:

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Well, there you go then. Explains the new look of iOS and where things are headed. :) Soon our macs will have etch-a-sketch knobs.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
This is a good idea. Likely kids apps are some of the best selling apps on the App Store. The iOS platform is perfect for kids.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
So no Freemium games going to be allowed in here, and no in app purchase apps either I hope?

Parents need to know they can allow children to download and enjoy any apps from this new area, without needing to worry about their children spending real money in games etc.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
So no Freemium games going to be allowed in here, and no in app purchase apps either I hope?

Parents need to know they can allow children to download and enjoy any apps from this new area, without needing to worry about their children spending real money in games etc.

be a parent and set a password to install any app or pay for IAP
simple

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
be a parent and set a password to install any app or pay for IAP
simple

Do you think TV companies should make TV programs/cartoons especially for children, where children are encouraged to pay money to enjoy more of the program "made for them" ?

These games are a cancer and those greedy devs should be held up as examples of how not to offer software. Making such programs directed at children makes it 100x worse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.