Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bote

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia PA
I just got an email from Adobe asking me to upgrade my version of Photoshop Elements 2.0 to version 4.0 I read further and it seems to be only offered for the windows platform. The highest version for the Mac is 3.0 Whats up with that??? :confused:

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
Bote said:
I just got an email from Adobe asking me to upgrade my version of Photoshop Elements 2.0 to version 4.0 I read further and it seems to be only offered for the windows platform. The highest version for the Mac is 3.0 Whats up with that??? :confused:

I believe Adobe is releasing the Windows version first, followed by a Mac version a little later. Why they are going with Windows first... no clue. Afterall, the Mac is THE system for graphic design.

Why, Adobe? Why???

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
p0intblank said:
I believe Adobe is releasing the Windows version first, followed by a Mac version a little later. Why they are going with Windows first... no clue. Afterall, the Mac is THE system for graphic design.

Why, Adobe? Why???

They're doing that because consumers don't necessarily use Macs and professionals don't likely use Elements.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
bousozoku said:
They're doing that because consumers don't necessarily use Macs and professionals don't likely use Elements.

That's a good point. I failed to think about the "Elements" part of it. Afterall, that version is for the less-educated when it comes to graphic design (that isn't meant to sound rude :)) And what's this about Adobe considering dropping Mac support? I heard it in a recent Podcast. I think it was during TWiT. This better not be true... I would probably cry. :p

Oh and on another note: more consumers should use the Mac. :p

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
p0intblank said:
That's a good point. I failed to think about the "Elements" part of it. Afterall, that version is for the less-educated when it comes to graphic design (that isn't meant to sound rude :)) And what's this about Adobe considering dropping Mac support? I heard it in a recent Podcast. I think it was during TWiT. This better not be true... I would probably cry. :p

Oh and on another note: more consumers should use the Mac. :p

Adobe have said that they will develop version 4.0 for Mac but that they've no timetable at the moment. Remember that iPhoto competes in a small way with Elements and in a larger way with Album, which obviously isn't being developed. iMovie makes it difficult to sell Premiere Elements.

Adobe had no interest in the market, so Apple did something. Since Apple did something, Adobe has reduced interest in the Mac market.

A bit off-topic but did anyone else notice that Corel introduced Painter Essentials, which is pretty much exactly what Fractal Design Dabbler used to be? It certainly complements Photoshop Elements.

Bote

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia PA
bousozoku said:
Adobe have said that they will develop version 4.0 for Mac but that they've no timetable at the moment. Remember that iPhoto competes in a small way with Elements and in a larger way with Album, which obviously isn't being developed. iMovie makes it difficult to sell Premiere Elements.

Adobe had no interest in the market, so Apple did something. Since Apple did something, Adobe has reduced interest in the Mac market.

A bit off-topic but did anyone else notice that Corel introduced Painter Essentials, which is pretty much exactly what Fractal Design Dabbler used to be? It certainly complements Photoshop Elements.

You do have a point, professions would obviously use the full photoshop and not elements. It bums me out however since I love what I am able to do with elements as a dabbler in photography, but don't have the money or time to move up to the real photoshop. Oh well, I really am new to mac and was confused when elements 4 was shown just for windows. Hopefully this is not a trend. As a side note I really hate iPhoto, but can totally see where iMove makes it premire elements a very hard sell. Just my 2cents

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
bousozoku said:
Yep, that's up to version 3 now. For some reason it kept the procreate name long after Corel changed things. It gets very little attention since most of the time it's given away in bundles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.