Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today announced plans to make its Quickoffice software free to all users. Quickoffice, which was reintroduced on iOS last year after Google purchased the software company, is designed to allow Google users to view and edit Microsoft Office files. Google's decision to make Quickoffice available for free comes after Apple announced that its own iWork software (along with iPhoto and iMovie) would be provided for free with new iPhones, iPads, and iPod touches.

Google is introducing a newly unified Quickoffice app that supports both the iPad and the iPhone. The app also integrates with Google Drive storage, letting users save and access files from anywhere. Previous versions of Quickoffice have been removed from the App Store, and Google is encouraging existing users to download the new app.

quickoffice.jpg
Everyone likes free stuff, which is why starting today we're making Quickoffice available for free, for everyone. With Quickoffice, you can edit Microsoft® Office documents across your devices, giving you the freedom to work with anyone no matter what hardware or software they're using.

Quickoffice also integrates seamlessly with Google Drive storage so you can safely access your files from anywhere. And while the easiest thing to do is simply convert your old files to Google Docs, Sheets and Slides, Quickoffice gives you another way to work with people who haven't gone Google yet.
Google's newly released Quickoffice app also offers a number of new features, including a refreshed icon, the ability to create .ZIP folders, and view charts in Excel and PowerPoint files.

Google is giving users who sign into their Google Accounts from the Quickoffice app by September 26, 2013 an extra 10GB of Google Drive storage for the next two years.

Quickoffice can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Google Releases New Universal 'Quickoffice' iOS App for Free

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Doesn't look as advanced as some apps, don't reallyyyyyy see a point in this!

Something they already had....so it didn't really cost them anything.

Just another product for Google to eventually toss out with the trash in one of their spring cleaning sessions.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
cause they can still get their app across without having to pay for our storage?

They don't care about you using their app. Their #1 focus is getting your data so they can sell ads. The app is just another avenue for them to get there.

Making it easier for you to use Dropbox is of no concern to them.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Is this better than their Google drive app?

No, it is supplemental. This is for people who still have to deal in MS Office files. So if you want you can store your Office files on Drive and open them through QuickOffice. This way you don't have to deal in conversion issues.

nickXedge

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
Long Island
Is anyone else having trouble downloading this or any free apps for that matter? Updated to ios7 last night. When I click free it changes to install and when I click that it loads for a sec and goes back to free. Sometimes it verifies my iTunes password. Won't download though. Tried closing the app in multi tasking and restarted my phone. What gives?

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
I signed in and didn't see extra storage. Might be time delayed?
Same here. I'm a sucker for free cloud storage space (I'm at 26.1GB with Dropbox) but I installed the app and logged in yet don't see any additional Google cloud space. Anyone know when it kicks in?

dustinsc

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2009
This is now the only free ios app that supports proper editing of MS office files. This is a very big deal.

Except it apparently does not handle footnotes very well. Without footnotes, it's hardly a modern word processor.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Same here. I'm a sucker for free cloud storage space (I'm at 26.1GB with Dropbox) but I installed the app and logged in yet don't see any additional Google cloud space. Anyone know when it kicks in?

Google+ page says it'll appear over the next couple of weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.