Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iceache

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
San Francisco, CA - Apple Store

I dropped by the SF store today to ask so questions about the lines for this Friday. From what information I was provided they stated they will be limiting iPhones both 5S and 5C to 2 per person. I asked about upgrading all 4 of my lines and was told 2 per person yet I could have another person in line with me and then have all 4 lines upgraded to 5Ss. Not really sure of the logic behind that but this is what was provided to me. Just sharing.

JoeIsInTheCloud

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2013
It's nice to know that there are people out there without a job who are receiving financial support from their parents.

Do you feel better about yourself now that you've insulted people you don't know? I've waited in line all day for an Apple product. Using my time as I like is one of the exciting perks of being the boss of arrogant dweebs like you.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Yeah but arguably you get more mileage out of a larger screen than the "major engineering feat" of the 5S which no one will really use anyway.

I think "arguably" is the operative word. The tent pole features that Apple introduced will have universal benefits without any drawbacks; some immediately, some at a later date, but they will yield major benefits, whereas a larger display requires tradeoffs in both size and one handed operability for a lot of people.

I'm not against larger screens, but let's face it; slapping a bigger display on a smartphone is nowhere near as innovative as what Apple achieved with the A7, M7 and fingerprint sensor.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I think "arguably" is the operative word. The tent pole features that Apple introduced will have universal benefits without any drawbacks; some immediately, some at a later date, but they will yield major benefits, whereas a larger display requires tradeoffs in both size and one handed operability for a lot of people.

I'm not against larger screens, but let's face it; slapping a bigger display on a smartphone is nowhere near as innovative as what Apple achieved with the A7, M7 and fingerprint sensor.

Well I'm definitely not disagreeing with you, but it is definitely subjective. I do think the fp sensor is useful, the m7 chip I'm not so sure, as an ex personal trainer and someone involved in peoples healthcare every day i think all those health trackers are quite overrated and another fitness industry fad. I did see an article where the m7 chip will mark where you park your car so you can find it easier.

I think my major point was the beefed up hardware. Other than maybe a few games I'm still not seeing what apps we will see that cannot run on today's hardware. What runs slowly on the ip5 which will run smoothly on the ip5s? Today, or in the future? Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the progress in technology, it just feels overrated as "innovative". A larger screen is MUCH more immediately useful IMO for obvious reasons.

fatboyslick

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Anyone know if, in the UK, I order as soon as it opens up (presuming midnight on Thursday/Friday) will it deliver the same day?

gmhag

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
Steve would never allow this...

You should always be ready to meet demand on a new product... Also you should always be able to pre-order from day 1.

Poor decision by Cook.

Enzo Ferrari's theory was to always build one less than you can sell. That theory is similar to what Apple is doing here. It builds desire for something you MAY not be able to get your hands on. Human nature, you want what you cant have. Just ask Adam.

ERIC273

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
NJ
I dropped by the SF store today to ask so questions about the lines for this Friday. From what information I was provided they stated they will be limiting iPhones both 5S and 5C to 2 per person. I asked about upgrading all 4 of my lines and was told 2 per person yet I could have another person in line with me and then have all 4 lines upgraded to 5Ss. Not really sure of the logic behind that but this is what was provided to me. Just sharing.

The logic is to prevent people from going and buying 80 iPhones and reselling them to the impatient, and they don't make exceptions for people doing upgrades, because they want everyone to be able to get a chance to get an iPhone @ launch, having the second person wait with you justifies it more.

dwcerra

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2008
I'm torn between ordering online, or chancing it and going to the Apple Store on Friday.

I just talked with AT&T and they said that if you order online, then your upgrade eligibility is "used up" right then. They couldn't answer for sure how long it would take to have that upgrade re-enabled if I canceled my order while waiting in line on Friday.

Decisions, decisions.....

Same here; I'd have no prob ordering online and waiting BUT...I leave for vacation for 2 weeks on 10/3 & already sold my old phone on Gazelle. They gave me until 10/15 to ship it but I won't be back by then. :(. I'm really in a bind. I wish I new of the 'no pre order' deal before selling my old iPhone.

dwcerra

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2008
Eta for orders placed on Friday

I'm wondering if your one of the lucky ones to order at 12:01 AM the Friday, how long is the shipping time? I really wish they'd let us pick up at the store if ordering online. :(

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
Same here; I'd have no prob ordering online and waiting BUT...I leave for vacation for 2 weeks on 10/3 & already sold my old phone on Gazelle. They gave me until 10/15 to ship it but I won't be back by then. :(. I'm really in a bind. I wish I new of the 'no pre order' deal before selling my old iPhone.

Find a cheap smartphone online.

----------

I'm wondering if your one of the lucky ones to order at 12:01 AM the Friday, how long is the shipping time? I really wish they'd let us pick up at the store if ordering online. :(

Wish I knew this as well.

-js-

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
Southern California
Supply and demand only relative. It's not as simple as many thinks.

64 bit processor? dedicated motion sensing processor? fingerprint sensor? Those are all simple things blown out of proportion by apple. Apple marketing team is known for blowing simple things out of proportion and many people fall for it.

Wake up people. It's a dated phone refreshed using simple gimmics.

It's the very opposite of a dated phone. It is perhaps the most future-proof smart phone currently available (or nearly available). If you read the Anand Tech review --which is an actual review by someone who actually does understand hardware, instead of just someone spouting out opinions based on conjecture or a simplistic and incomplete understanding-- then you will see just how impressive the A7 with Cyclone cores (the successor to Swift) really is, and how the move to 64 bit actually does matter, even now, but will matter even more in 2-3 years. On the whole, the CPU seems to be about twice as fast as the A6, and the GPU equally as impressive. And Anand thinks that this is actually the RIGHT time for Apple to make the move to 64 bit, given the trends.

Yes, you can argue that it "won't make a difference" right now for the "average consumer" but:

1. That's just not true, as loading web pages is something even the average consumer does (just as an example) and it happens a lot faster on the 5S than the 5.

and

2. Right now quickly fades into the past. People made the same comments about the 4S, but now, two years on, the 4S is still viable while the 4 really doesn't have the hardware to run iOS 7, Siri, do voice to text, etc. And there's pretty much a consensus on that at this point, now that emotions and haters-gonna-hate have calmed down. In two years, the 5S will still be viable while the 5 may be starting to show it's age.

Does that mean people who own the 5 should upgrade? Heck no! They'd be smart to wait until the 6, I think. Does that mean that the 5S is a "dated phone"? Heck no! If you have the 4S (or, like me, the 4) the 5S is a great update.

It takes FAR more work and technical prowess to build something like the A7 with custom designed and hand laid out cores than just to slap a bigger screen or higher MP count camera in a phone. As Anand says in his Final Words:

The iPhone 5s is quite possibly the biggest S-update we've ever seen from Apple. I remember walking out of the venue during Apple's iPhone 5 launch and being blown away by the level of innovation, at the platform/silicon level, that Apple crammed into the iPhone 5. What got me last time was that Apple built their own ARM based CPU architecture from the ground up, while I understand that doesn't matter for the majority of consumers - it's no less of an achievement in my eyes. At the same time I remember reading through a sea of disappointment on Twitter - users hoping for more from Apple with the iPhone 5. If you fell into that group last time, there's no way you're going to be impressed by the iPhone 5s. For me however, there's quite a bit to be excited about.

The A7 SoC is seriously impressive. Apple calls it a desktop-class SoC, but I'd rather refer to it as something capable of competing with the best Intel has to offer in this market. In many cases the A7's dual cores were competitive with Intel's recently announced Bay Trail SoC. Web browsing is ultimately where I noticed the A7's performance the most. As long as I was on a good internet connection, web pages just appeared after resolving DNS. The A7's GPU performance is also insanely good - more than enough for anything you could possibly throw at the iPhone 5s today, and fast enough to help keep this device feeling quick for a while.

CrimsonKnight

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
Denver, CO
My experience from last year is: if you want one the most popular models, you need to be at the Apple store very early to score one! This year I suspect that the 16GB in gold will be sold out within an hour; However, if you want a 32 or 64 GB in white, you could probably show up at the Apple store at noon and still get one.

Good advice, this is my first year buying on launch!

----------

I'm guessing (hoping?) that if I get my pre-order in right when it begins, I'll get a phone in a few days.

Right there with you! Going to order online ASAP.

iNeed

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2010
Awesome. I found someone that has some common sense. All of the people I know who love Apple still don't understand why people are obsessed with getting day one, or waiting in lines etc.

I sell these devices all day, every day, but still stand by customers who do this being complete idiots. And I really love having my Apple products, but like all material objects, they can wait.

Behind the scenes. I hope these people know people who work in the industry and organising it all are laughing at them. Because we all are ;-) in between every desperate call, every store queue and so on.

I don't mean to offend, but speak honestly. It's a phone, it can wait.

Anyway, all of the above is my opinion. So please skim over and ignore if it offends.

I worked in a similar retail industry with many launches and know what you mean. However, I will be one of those people. My iPhone 4 is dying and I am getting married in about 2 weeks. I'd like to have a better camera for the honeymoon ;)

----------

I have never ordered an iPhone from apple.com before. I usually wait in line in the morning, but I have a big boy job now and can't. :p How do you activate the phone once you get it so it is good to go? Do I need to have any ATT account information handy in order to order from apple.com?

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
I worked in a similar retail industry with many launches and know what you mean. However, I will be one of those people. My iPhone 4 is dying and I am getting married in about 2 weeks. I'd like to have a better camera for the honeymoon ;)

----------

I have never ordered an iPhone from apple.com before. I usually wait in line in the morning, but I have a big boy job now and can't. :p How do you activate the phone once you get it so it is good to go? Do I need to have any ATT account information handy in order to order from apple.com?

Account holders last 4 of SSN and the number you want to upgrade and billing zip

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
Somewhat problematic when you factor in:

A. You're comparing a trade in value of the 64GB model vs the upgrade price of the 16GB model

B. Most people don't get yearly upgrades

If you have an upgrade the math works out fairly well. If you don't.....you have a pretty wide gap to cover in price.

I have a 16GB model that I am sending in, and getting another 16GB.
The reason I have a yearly upgrade path is due to having the additional 2 lines (@ $10 a month each line). So with that added, I'm spending another $240 a year between upgrades. Since my old phones are being sold for $330 each. I'm getting $660 for 2 iPhone 5. 2 new iPhone 5s is $199, so round that to $200 each for $400. Add the yearly extra line costs of $240+$400=$640. Minus what I get back for the sale of old phones $640-$660= ($20). I just made $20. :)

Anyone could do this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.