Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The U.S. Apple Store has gone offline in preparation of the launch of online sales for the iPhone 5s. The iPhone 5s is Apple's new top-end iPhone which incorporates the faster A7 processor, camera improvements and a fingerprint sensor.

southpoint-iphone5s.jpg
Southpoint Mall in Durham, NC​
Lines have started to form at stores across the country. While the the LA Times claims that lines are "noticeably shorter or nonexistent" as compared to previous launches, CNet reports there were healthy lines internationally.

Supply for the new iPhone appears to be tight with international stores selling out relatively quickly. Apple didn't offer pre-orders for the iPhone 5s, so both online and retail sales begin today.

A few reports from U.S. readers in line also indicate very little stock of White and Gold devices. One reader RiderXTC at the Clarendon, VA store indicates that there is a two device per person limit, and White and Gold devices were all claimed quickly:
An Apple employee just came out and asked everyone in line which color, carrier, and size they desired. After getting to the third person, there are no more gold/white or silver/white in any size for any carrier.
The iPhone 5c will also go on sale at retail stores on Friday, September 20th. Retail sales will begin at 8am local time, while online sales will kick off at 12:01am Pacific time.

Update: Mac4Ever has a gallery of long lines for the iPhone 5s launch in France.

5350_iphone-5s-5c-cette-fois-c-est-la-foule.jpg

Article Link: U.S. Online Apple Stores Go Down Ahead of iPhone 5s Launch

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2008
nyc
barely a line at the flagship nyc fifth ave store also. quite surprising considering the no pre-order deal.

realeric

macrumors 65816
Jun 19, 2009
United States
An Apple employee just came out and asked everyone in line which color, carrier, and size they desired. After getting to the third person, there are no more gold/white or silver/white in any size for any carrier.

:eek: ......

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
Glad I'm getting my 5C tomorrow.

Goodluck to all those pre-ordering tonight. Use the Apple Store App! It normally lets you purchase quicker than online orders.

Last edited:

iceache

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
I'm fine waiting 7-10 days after I order. I'll enjoy my nice soft bed and TV while others wait in the dark.... Enjoy... and good luck all.

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
"An Apple employee just came out and asked everyone in line which color, carrier, and size they desired. After getting to the third person, there are no more gold/white or silver/white in any size for any carrier."

This is making me want to order online, screw waiting in line. I want gold darn it, no need to wait online if there's a large chance I won't have the option, especially in 64GB.

powerslave12r

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2010
Good luck to all my retina Haswell folks. This is the time to hope against hope that when the store comes back up, there will be magical silent upgrades to the rMBP. :D

A man can hope..

heimo

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2010
Hate it

I hate this new iPhone 5S. And now I need to wait some more days to hate it first hand - and you all know how I hate waiting. I already hate the gold color - it's so awful I'm getting two to hate it twice. What a mess, Apple! It's going to flop!

I love my iPhone 5, which is perfect. It was a success. Apple shouldn't have changed a thing. It's a wonderful phone that works perfectly. I'm eagerly waiting Apple to release iPhone 6, so I can hate that one instead of iPhone 5S - looking forward loving my new iPhone 5S.

It's my natural cycle of hate-love relationship with Apple. Love you! Hate you! :) I'm very passionate, there is only red pill and blue pill - nothing in-between.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.