Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdawg17

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2010
So if I buy one at a T-Mobile store the only difference is I have to ask for it to be unlocked after a certain amount of time? Otherwise it will work overseas etc and is the same as the Apple store 5s?

Macgied

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2010
:confused:

In my email it says "Tmobile, Unlocked".

but when i click on the Order it says: "Tmobile".

What is it now?

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2013-09-20 um 10.52.42.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2013-09-20 um 10.52.42.png
    58.7 KB · Views: 144
  • Bildschirmfoto 2013-09-20 um 10.49.15.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2013-09-20 um 10.49.15.png
    72.4 KB · Views: 166

Beezy253

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
Tacoma, WA
:confused:

In my email it says "Tmobile, Unlocked".

but when i click on the Order it says: "Tmobile".

What is it now?

They just updated that.... I have my Screenshot saved incase it comes LOCKED... I'm thinking they don't advertise it's UNLOCKED, so all the scalpers don't order tons of iPhones, and push delivery dates back... But who knows.

FIVE86

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2013
talked to apple customer service, and that rep was sure that t-mobile is the ONLY US carrier it'll work for. but it's unlocked for the rest of the world.

I am about to purchase it online. Whoever heard the same pleaseee confirm this.

Beezy253

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
Tacoma, WA
Apple is about to have a bunch of pissed off customers if the iPhones aren't unlocked. (Plus a bunch of returns)

On the website, if you try to purchase the No-Contract T-Mobile iPhone 5s, After you select the color/size, then look to the right, it still has the word "Unlocked".

Too excited to sleep, so i'm going to get Starbucks and some Donuts.. I'm sure it'll change by the time I get back. LOL

Macgied

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2010
What is the return policy with iPhones?

I guess there will be people getting their iPhones before I/we do and they can confirm if it's unlocked or not.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
There's a lot of inaccuracy and rumors swirling around these forums with conflicting views on the locked and unlocked status of iPhone 5s linked to carriers .... here is a bombshell I found out today and completely flabbergasted ....

It appears what Apple is calling the "T-Mobile contract-free" iPhone 5s is actually locked to T-Mobile, and needs to be unlocked by T-Mobile.

The wording of the text has been changed too, before it said "unlocked", now the ad on Apple.com just says contract-free with no mention of the T-Mobile variant being unlocked. Apple said I had to call T-Mobile to get it unlocked.

I escalated with higher-ups at the Apple store as well as T-Mobile, in person and on the phone, and the answer from T-Mobile is even if the phone is bought full-priced, it is locked to T-Mobile, and can be unlocked only under certain conditions (minimum 40 days owning device, minimum top up of 50 dollars on prepaid)

Apple also said the T-Mobile iPhone 5s bought in the Apple store would need a call to T-Mobile to be unlocked (DESPITE paying full-price !!) T-Mobile detailed their unlocking policy, saying 40 day minimum before unlock can be done, to deter people selling abroad ....... what right do they have to lock a phone that's been paid for in full ??????

I was furious and arguing with T-Mobile and Apple employees and reps all day to get to the bottom of the situation, and the final answer seems to be it is locked.

When the T-Mobile iPhone 5 was launched, was it unlocked if payed full-price ? Subsidized ? I've unlocked T-Mobile iPhones before through a source, so means they were locked to T-mobile.

What is the situation and best way to get an unlocked iPhone 5s- unlocked meaning able to use the phone with any GSM carrier immediately, without need for an unlock code.

T-Mobile iPhone 5s seems locked to T-Mobile, even payed full price at Apple store.

AT&T is locked, but easily unlocked. If paid full-price for AT&T iPhone 5s, will it be unlocked immediately there ? Is a contract necessary ?

Verizon - is it unlocked off the box ? If bought full-price, is a contract necessary with Verizon.

I just need to buy a few completely unlocked without hassles of contracts and signing up, just pay money and get out with phones I can insert any SIM card.

Now, seems like NO ONE knows what the hell is going on, the system in the U.S. is INSANE.

I have a feeling because unlike the other 3 carriers, T-Mobile cant really sell on apple website, so T-Mobile probably requested that due to supply constraints, the only Full price available model be locked to them, forcing customers to use their service....Otherwise we all know there are more AT&T users out there than there are T-Mobile...leaving T-mobile out in the cold while the other 3 carriers get their sales bumped thanks to Apple.com

Also T-Mobile should be able to honor Factory Unlock immediately - however again if they want to be pigs they can force the 40 day policy upon people to make money for the 30 day plan....(as it requires you to have a account in good standing). again Apple probably gave T-mobile the dibs over Unlocked iPhone to make them happy as Apple itself is facing the limited supply issue.

DarkSel

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2012
talked to apple customer service, and that rep was sure that t-mobile is the ONLY US carrier it'll work for. but it's unlocked for the rest of the world.

absolute nonsense.

if it's unlocked for international carriers, it's also unlocked for AT&T.

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Store manager at apple store says NO UNLOCKED PHONES.

I told him i wanna buy an AT&T full price, he's like yeah its cool. AT&T will unlock any full price phone if you are a current or former customer, or if you know somebody who is a customer.

retroapple

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013
None sold as unlocked.

T-Mobile is probably unlocked, but Apple does not want to advertise it that way.

We'll find out in a couple of hours.

Google: Unlocked tmobile iphone 5 Lies

https://www.google.com/#q=unlocked+tmobile+iphone+5+lies

We already know the deal:

There had been a lot of talk about Tmobile's new SIM unlock policy, now that they have gotten rid of service contracts and phone subsidies, and now that they are selling the iPhone.

They have a new policy that their own message board CS reps are linking to: here it is.

If you read it like an intelligent adult it would appear to suggest that their unlock policy depends on whether you are postpaid or prepaid customer, and whether you bought your phone at full retail price. There is a separate Bold section heading for people who pay full price, and under that heading the only requirements are to be in good standing and to fax the a copy of the receipt.

Unfortunately, that is NOT how Tmobile themselves are interpreting their own policy. They insist that you must wait either 40 days (postpaid) or 60 days (prepaid) before they will unlock the phone. In discussions with them (hours long discussions) it becomes clear that the third section heading on Full price phones is irrelevant. They admitted to me on the phone that they should delete it from the unlock document because it is misleading.

It is, at best, misleading; at worst it is an outright lie. Their policy document says they will unlock full price phones, but they will not. Honestly, if they had told me this before I signed up, I wouldn't have been that bothered. But I read the document and talked to the Rep in a Tmobile corporate store before buying, and it was clear that their policy was to unlock phones bought up front at full price.

But now that I'm signed up with them, they refuse to give the unlock code. I will now wait the needed 40 days, but I thought others might benefit from the clarification.

Read more: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1579423/

From T-Mobile.com:

"T-Mobile may deny any request for a SIM unlock code at our sole discretion."

I know it's tempting, but THERE ARE NO UNLOCKED PHONES AT THIS TIME.

DarkSel

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2012
Google: Unlocked tmobile iphone 5 Lies

https://www.google.com/#q=unlocked+tmobile+iphone+5+lies

We already know the deal:

Read more: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1579423/

From T-Mobile.com:

"T-Mobile may deny any request for a SIM unlock code at our sole discretion."

I know it's tempting, but THERE ARE NO UNLOCKED PHONES AT THIS TIME.

Well, I have chat logs of Apple saying that the T-Mobile phones were unlocked, so worst case scenario, I go and exchange it for an AT&T full priced iPhone.

retroapple

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013
Well, I have chat logs of Apple saying that the T-Mobile phones were unlocked, so worst case scenario, I go and exchange it for an AT&T full priced iPhone.

They can take those chat logs and eat them. :eek:

They don't mean anything, you're phone is not unlocked buddy.

Carrier got you by the balls. They can also deny the return for reasons you may not expect.

DarkSel

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2012

Carrier got you by the balls. They can also deny the return for reasons you may not expect.

Apple has a 30 day return policy, no questions asked.

MicroMacTosh

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2010
Told you guys the T mobile was not unlocked ... I'm third in line in Santa Monica , and those that want unlocked are going with full priced AT&T , as it either will be unlocked , or can be unlocked for a few dollars .

If you bought a tmobile contract free thinking it was unlocked , you made a monstrous mistake abd did not heed my warnings

Last edited:

retroapple

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013
Told you guys the T mobile was unlocked ... I'm third in line in Santa Monica , and those that want unlocked are going with full priced AT&T , as it either will be unlocked , or can be unlocked for a few dollars .

If you bought a tmobile contract free thinking it was unlocked , you made a monstrous mistake abd did not heed my warnings

+1

And the funny thing is that the 5c's Apple are selling have unlocked versions. Just the 5s doesn't. But they will be back, you just have to wait.

They only make a limited amount of phones in general on launch day, but in the next week, they're just sitting on the shelves.

Beezy253

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
Tacoma, WA

You OBVIOUSLY have never dealt with an Executive Customer Relations Rep at Apple.

They can get ANYTHING done.

----------

Told you guys the T mobile was not unlocked ... I'm third in line in Santa Monica , and those that want unlocked are going with full priced AT&T , as it either will be unlocked , or can be unlocked for a few dollars .

Nothing is confirmed until people actually start receiving the phones.

If the iPhones end up shipping locked, Apple will have to address the issue eventually.

Also, Apple has a great return policy.

IMO, If thousands of people end up returning T-Mobile iPhones, Apple is going to take a big hit. They have the resources to unlock the phones, and probably end up doing so, if they aren't already unlocked.

retroapple

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013
Carrier policies are LIES. Big fat lies, and it's sad because you're still paying full price.

Last edited:

Beezy253

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2013
Tacoma, WA
Mainly telling you to purchase an unlocked phone instead of a carrier phone.

I've spoken with the higher ups. You can't BUY an unlocked phone other than from Apple. And currently you can't buy from Apple because they're not selling them at this time.

I was screaming at the carriers over the phone because they're policies are LIES. Big fat lies, and it's sad because you're still paying full price.

But when you have screenshots/ a receipt that CLEARLY says "Unlocked", I'm pretty sure it would be considered false advertisement not to honor the "unlock" portion.

If the phones are locked to T-mobile, and Apple is unable to release the lock status due to contracts with T-Mobile, I can see Apple offering to exchange the locked T-Mobile iPhones for an unsubsidized iPhone for whichever carrier you choose.
(in my case, an Locked AT&T iPhone would work fine for my carrier)

Again, no one will know for sure until the phones actually received.

Attachments

• 8BBrHNj.png
    8BBrHNj.png
    349.2 KB · Views: 304
  • iPhone5s.png
    iPhone5s.png
    69.3 KB · Views: 151

retroapple

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013
But when you have screenshots/ a receipt that CLEARLY says "Unlocked", I'm pretty sure it would be considered false advertisement not to honor the "unlock" portion.

If the phones are locked to T-mobile, and Apple is unable to release the lock status due to contracts with T-Mobile, I can see Apple offering to exchange the locked T-Mobile iPhones for an unsubsidized iPhone for whichever carrier you choose.
(in my case, an Locked AT&T iPhone would work fine for my carrier)

Again, no one will know for sure until the phones actually received.
You don't know how deep it gets. That's the point, that's the thing! Even if it says in bold letters that your phone is unlocked. It's still not unlocked due to carriers cockamamie policies.

You will find out the hard way.

The ONLY reason I'm even buying an iPhone 5S is because I didn't get an unlocked iPhone 5 9 months ago. Because believe me, I wouldn't pay full price for the same phone twice otherwise. Really, do you really think that the iPhone 5S is something to write home about? No, I wanted to buy unlocked phone nine months ago. And now I have to rebuy the iPhone 5S to get that unlock phone. Which they're not selling.

Unlocked is becoming a marketing term to get you to buy, BUT ITS JUST NOT TRUE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.