Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Within four hours after Apple began taking orders for the iPhone 5s, Apple Store shipping estimates for new orders of the device slipped to 7-10 days in the U.S. and Canada, following a similar pattern to shipping estimates in other countries where the 5s went on sale earlier today. The original shipping estimate for all 5s models was 1-3 days.

Some 28 minutes after they went on sale, all gold iPhone 5s models saw their shipping estimates slip to October.

iphone5sshiptime.jpg
Customers may still be able to purchase launch-day iPhone 5s units by heading to Apple Retail, carrier and select third-party reseller outlets -- but there is no indication how long those stores will have the iPhone 5s in stock.

Apple is opening its retail stores at 8 a.m. local time for the launch, while opening times for carrier and third-party reseller locations may vary. A list of some retailers known to be selling the iPhone 5s is visible on our iPhone 5s launch article.

Last year it took an hour for pre-orders of the iPhone 5 to sell out, while the year before it took some 22 hours to sell out of the pre-order launch-day stock of the iPhone 4S.

Article Link: Apple Online Store's iPhone 5s Shipping Estimates Slip to 7-10 Days, Gold Models to Ship in October

mdhwoods

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
You could say that, or supplies are very constrained as to appear that demand is high.

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
to all those people who said "no one will buy this phone... it's the same as iPhone 5"...
well...
I'm sure you're wrong :)

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
to all those people who said "no one will buy this phone... it's the same as iPhone 5"...
well...
I'm sure you're wrong :)

I don't think anybody on MR said it's exactly same as the 5. It's the most innovative 'incremental update' Apple's ever done. ;)

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
step1-us-prodselect-sprint-logo

Sprint customers can still get some models in 1-3 business days (not gold)

I wonder why there is no "T-Mobile or SIM-free" choice for iPhone 5s (iPhone 5c will let you choose)

stevaroo01

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2012
Pensacola, FL USA
I started placing my order around 6:30am Eastern using the Apple Store app on my iPhone 5. When I began the process, the shipping time for my Verizon 64gb space gray iPhone 5s was 1-3 days. By the time I finished checking out my estimate had slipped to 7-10 days, delivery sometime the first week to week and a half of October. The black leather case I ordered at the same time is showing delivery the very end of September or very beginning of October.

I've never ordered an Apple product on launch day, so I guess I feel blessed that I'll get it within a couple weeks at least. Especially for a phone that has such high demand/low inventory!

I seriously considered waiting a while or passing altogether on the 5s, but I really needed to bump up my capacity. My 32gb 5 has been close to maxed out for a while. I actually had to delete some music and apps just to install iOS 7.

austinmcguire

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2006
I hate to disagree with MacRumors but...

The US Store Gold 32GB for ATT had slipped to the 7-10 day mark by 12:08 PDT. I got my order in and was curious when it would slip and the first time I checked it had already slipped. Someone may know of an even earlier time then me.

KristenM

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2007
Local AT&T store had 0 gold and 0 silver in any size. Manager said no resaler in the state got any gold and only a few got silver. Local Apple store got 6 of them. WTF? Did they only make 1000 of them? Mostly pissed that they let us stand in line for hours before coming out to tell us this.

1member1

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
Every year it's the same story.

1.Apple comes out with a new device
2.People, WS and tech sites say that it's a disappointment and no one will buy
3.Apple break record once again.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
How many tens of millions of iPhone 4 and iPhone 4s users want an upgrade or are eligible for an upgrade? Of course there will be strong demand for each new iPhone, regardless of grumblings of "evolution instead of innovation"

marwal

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013
You guys in the US are lucky, here in England stock showed as dispatched in 7-10 days from the very second they went on sale, Apple prioritising it's US customers ahead of everyone else as usual

darcyf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
The Bell Store I was dealing with took names and was going to call as many people as their 5s stock allowed for (I was third on the list). They wound up getting zero iPhone 5s's today.

I spoke to the Telus Store in the same mall and they got a grand total of four.

I'd say that's some pretty constrained stock.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
I keep hearing that there won't be long lines here in El Paso as history has shown. So I'll go pass the mall around 7:30 and see if there's a line to get this gold. If it's unavailable, I'll wait a while. It seems nobody cares about the launch here.

jalexei

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013
(yawning furiously)

Yes, I was the clown up at 3am eastern clicking furiously at the Verizon Wireless site - Mostly at the behest of the missus, who's agnostic on most tech items but loves her phone - We're both upgrading from the plain old 4, so I'm looking forward to not being a generation or two behind for a change - Ship date showing as 9/24, though we both wanted the grey/black, which seems to be (luckily for us, I guess) the boring sibling that never goes out and parties...

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
You guys in the US are lucky, here in England stock showed as dispatched in 7-10 days from the very second they went on sale, Apple prioritising it's US customers ahead of everyone else as usual

You guys are lucky to have the same launch day as the U.S. There is no particular reason why this phone has to launch worldwide on the same day.

----------

Seems like radically constrained supplies. I do not believe this is intentional. We have been hearing for a long time that the fingerprint scanner is hard to make. Also we still don't know who made the silicon. So that tells me that can't have been fully ramped up on that production. Otherwise this would have leaked.

Not being able to even come close to filling demand is going to be a problem, unless it pushes folks to the 5c. I suspect the 5c will have just as good margins and it will be more likely to be replaced sooner than the 5s. So those sales of 5c are going to be a gold mine for Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.