Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
I'm updating appleTV and get this ???

dvszs1.jpg

Do I need to connect appleTV to a computer that is in a different room? What cable ?

I really don't understand this !

This image appears after pass 2 of 2 in the appleTV update available today

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
Yes this happened to me too

I have a few micro usb cables laying around

So I had to connect the Apple TV to my computer using the micro usb cable and do a restore
You might also need to have the power cable also while doing this

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
Still surprised apple expects me to have

1. Obtuse cable to recover
2. Proximity of computer

Appletv is a tv thing and the above are not what i have in living room.

Disgusted at this ridiculous choice of apple. Their updates should either work, or a less pathetic solution should be choosen for recovery . Like a reset button.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009

2. Proximity of computer

Disgusted at this ridiculous choice of apple. Their updates should either work, or a less pathetic solution should be choosen for recovery . Like a reset button.

Maybe on the next Apple TV

For now get a micro usb cable

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002I8MUJG?qid=1379707618&sr=8-1&vs=1

$3

Or just knock on your neighbors house I'm sure somebody has an android or kindle device you can borough there cable for 10 minutes

Viremia

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2006
Which version of the :apple:TV do you have? It may not be needed for all versions of the device.

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
I got the cable from a friend, moved my imac out of the office

Did the update with no improvement

I even got my own ispw file and tried that nothing

Come-on apple, write ipdates that work, and don't expect people to have cables/computers

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
I got the cable from a friend, moved my imac out of the office

Did the update with no improvement

I even got my own ispw file and tried that nothing

Come-on apple, write ipdates that work, and don't expect people to have cables/computers

You need to also connect the apple TV power cord when u connect to the computer

And not all micro usb cables work , read the reviews before u buy , the first cable I tried did not work

I'm used to all this because I had a jailbroken Apple TV 2 a few years back
But for somebody who's never done this I can see why is a pain

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
The update process goes well according to apple. So the cable seems to work.

Yes, the power cable is connected.

And yes this is a recovery process that even microsoft would master better

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
This happens with every Apple TV release with a lot of customers. I don't know why Apple still hasn't gotten around to fixing it. It shouldn't fail as often as it seems to do but it does. Sure, it isn't that complicated to hook it up to iTunes but that should only be needed in rare cases.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
The update process goes well according to apple. So the cable seems to work.

Yes, the power cable is connected.

And yes this is a recovery process that even microsoft would master better

So what exactly is the problem your having ?
The update is not working after you connect to your computer ?

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
I like the word rare

And please define difficult for an old person when it involves moving a computer and plugging minute cables into sockets.

Again appletv is a tv thing not an xbox or other tech gadget.

Here apple is just a big zero in both choice of options and their implementation. Wonder what steveJ would say if this happened to him.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Here apple is just a big zero in both choice of options and their implementation. Wonder what steveJ would say if this happened to him.

What? This happens every release even when Jobs was alive. The Apple TV is well known for having high failure rates for updates. I never said it should be happening but it does.

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I've just had the same problem with my first ATV I've updated, never had this before in the few years I've had my four units. The one that has cocked up is the 1080 version. Just updated one of my other three 720 ones see if it does the same.

Bit of a neck ache sorting this crap out. As someone said, it's fine and dandy if your a tech head to sort it out, but if your using a unit as a standalone device, such as my 74 year old mother who doesn't have a desktop they are totally screwed.

Anyone mention post PC?

Last edited:

Eckscaliber

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2012
I got excited when I found this phone charger. I then went to plug it in my computer and noticed it had 2 prongs on the end. Fail. Now my Apple TV shall sit for a while.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 126

Suspended
May 3, 2011
So, how can a ATV user fix this problem if they don't have a desktop running iTunes. Seems Apple have cocked up big time?

Soulweaponry

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2010

2. Proximity of computer

Dealing with the same **** right now. Found an old microusb cable that went to my harmony remote and hooked that baby up. Now appletv is hooked up to my computer but still. What if I didn't have a micro USB cable? Am I expected to just go out and buy one just so I can update my damn appletv? How can they really expect that and not include a USB cable in the box? What if I didn't have a laptop at all? What if it was broken or I was an iPad only person?

I...just don't understand it. Isn't appletv meant to be a standalone product? Like I buy it for my living room and it just does it's own thing? I mean ****. It's hooked up to the entire net for christsake.

It's weird because it looked like I download the update on the Apple TV and it went through the whole "preparing update" thing before just going to that "hook up to iTunes" screen. Oh well...here's to hoping it all updates ok

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
Dealing with the same **** right now. Found an old microusb cable that went to my harmony remote and hooked that baby up. Now appletv is hooked up to my computer but still. What if I didn't have a micro USB cable? Am I expected to just go out and buy one just so I can update my damn appletv? How can they really expect that and not include a USB cable in the box? What if I didn't have a laptop at all? What if it was broken or I was an iPad only person?

I...just don't understand it. Isn't appletv meant to be a standalone product? Like I buy it for my living room and it just does it's own thing? I mean ****. It's hooked up to the entire net for christsake.

It's weird because it looked like I download the update on the Apple TV and it went through the whole "preparing update" thing before just going to that "hook up to iTunes" screen. Oh well...here's to hoping it all updates ok
Did you also connect the power cord of the Apple TV while connect to the computer ?
You have to do that

I think there should be a sticky in this section explaining how to restore Apple TV using iTunes

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
My problem now is that even after having the cable, the relocated office mac in the living room, and the powered up appletv and tried the recovery.... It stays un recovery mode.

So this does not work !!!

sirgromit

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2009
This has just happened to THREE of my 3rd Gen AppleTVs but not my one AppleTV 2. Incredibly frustrating to have to restore and then completely re-setup all of these systems. Not the first or even the second time an AppleTV update has caused a problem like this for me.

itouch rulz

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2008
I had this problem as well. One tip is to make sure you update to the latest version of itunes on the computer before you do the restore otherwise the Apple TV update won't verify.

If you are after a micro usb to usb cord look in the box/cables that came with your digital camera, kids electronic toys, sat nav, old sony minidisc player, obsolete blackberry, webcam etc. I think I have 10 of them...

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
Left my appletv in unrecevered mode. This morning it was recovered! Makes me believe the prob was related to activation... And yesterday new iphones went on sale.

If correct this is dismal of apple to not be able to support the activation loads.

About the cables, the approach. Its not if this can be found from neighbours, shops, etc. its that it is just ridiculous. Would you accrpt that from your coffe machine?

And legally, it should be noted on the box. As a customer i am entitled to information BEFORE purchase

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.