Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vexorg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
I've had a search around, why is this?

I thought the ipod touch 4g was equivalent to the iphone 4s, it even has facetime than the iphone 4 couldn't support.

It's not even a year since it was the only ipod touch available, it's annoying that apple have dropped support for was was an expensive ipod (we have 2 64Gb ones)

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2009
Irvine, CA

I thought the ipod touch 4g was equivalent to the iphone 4s, it even has facetime than the iphone 4 couldn't support.

It's not even a year since it was the only ipod touch available, it's annoying that apple have dropped support for was was an expensive ipod (we have 2 64Gb ones)

I was equivilant to the 4 not the 4s. The 4 had FaceTime. It's been a year since the 4 was 2 years old. It's a 3 year old device with only 256mb of ram. Not nearly enough for ios 7. The iPhone 4 had 512mb ram.

MonstaMash

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2011

iPod Touch 4G has 256MB of RAM, same as the iPhone 3GS (which also wasn't supported). The iPhone 4 has 512MB of RAM.

Tests probably showed that iOS 7 ran too slow on the device to support a good user experience. If it was possible to install iOS 7, it would just have been too sluggish to run on the hardware.

It's unfortunate that you can't update, but you'll still get all of the features and apps on iOS 6. Historically, iPhone software updates tend to scope more devices than the iPod Touch...

vexorg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
How long until IOS7 only apps appear?, the iphone is already looking for IOS7 updates for apps.

I'll be happy enough as long as the ipod remains supported for new apps.

MonstaMash

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2011

Ghostbusters

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
Every iPod touch comes out at the same time as the non-S iPhones, but have the specs of the previous S iPhones with additional features from the current gen iPhone. Example of the release cycle below. Note earlier iPod touches did not properly follow this cycle.

iPhone 4 release: iPod Touch 4, hybrid of iPhone 3GS (ram specs) and iPhone 4 (chip specs/design/features).
iPhone 4S release: No new iPod touch, but new iOS 6.
iPhone 5 release: iPod Touch 5, hybrid of iPhone 4S (specs) and iPhone 5 (design/features).
iPhone 5S release: No new iPod touch, but new iOS 7.
iPhone 6 release: iPod Touch 6 with iPhone 5S (specs) and iPhone 6 (design/features).*

* Has not yet happened, but PM me next year if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
Its all about 1 thing, and 1 thing only: Money. Apple is basically telling you to "shell out for a new iPod if you want iOS 7."

How about Moore's Law? Look it up. Technology moves at blinding speeds. So let me guess this straight, Apple shouldn't enhance any games or future products so that legacy hardware could be supported? Let's see you open a tech firm with that motto. Don't be a dweeb. That ipod 4th gen is many years old and it's paid for itself in service already. Moving along....

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
rolling my eyes

Its all about 1 thing, and 1 thing only: Money. Apple is basically telling you to "shell out for a new iPod if you want iOS 7."

Yes, they're a business. If you want to always have access to latest and greatest hardware and software, you'll have to spend money.

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Canada

1st of all no the iPhone 4s has better hardware then the 4g iPod touch. 2 reasons Apple doesn't want you to have iOS 7. 1: It will run really slow on the 4th gen causing people to complain to Apple why it's lagging. 2: They want you to buy a new one, there was no reason Apple would have supported it. All the iPod touches have supported 2 more upgrades after the one it originally came on.

----------

How long until IOS7 only apps appear?, the iphone is already looking for IOS7 updates for apps.

I'll be happy enough as long as the ipod remains supported for new apps.

Apple now allows you to download "legacy" versions of apps, basically when you try to download the app that's not compatible it will download an older version that is.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
How about Moore's Law? Look it up. Technology moves at blinding speeds. So let me guess this straight, Apple shouldn't enhance any games or future products so that legacy hardware could be supported? Let's see you open a tech firm with that motto. Don't be a dweeb. That ipod 4th gen is many years old and it's paid for itself in service already. Moving along....

It was sold in Apple Stores until this past May (4 months ago). Something that someone could have purchased brand new 4 months ago should not already be unsupported and outdated. And I'm not just talking about new icons and colors. This includes no future security updates as well.

vexorg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
It was sold in Apple Stores until this past May (4 months ago). Something that someone could have purchased brand new 4 months ago should not already be unsupported and outdated. And I'm not just talking about new icons and colors. This includes no future security updates as well.

That was my main feeling, one of ours is only a year old and now it's not getting further support. I'd understand if it had been stopped being sold for a few years.

I've had a few MacBook and MB pros over the years, they are a bit more expensive, but they are still supported by OSX. A 64G ipod touch wasn't exactly cheap when it was bought.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Every iPod touch comes out at the same time as the non-S iPhones, but have the specs of the previous S iPhones with additional features from the current gen iPhone. Example of the release cycle below. Note earlier iPod touches did not properly follow this cycle.

iPhone 4 release: iPod Touch 4, hybrid of iPhone 3GS (ram specs) and iPhone 4 (chip specs/design/features).
iPhone 4S release: No new iPod touch, but new iOS 6.
iPhone 5 release: iPod Touch 5, hybrid of iPhone 4S (specs) and iPhone 5 (design/features).
iPhone 5S release: No new iPod touch, but new iOS 7.
iPhone 6 release: iPod Touch 6 with iPhone 5S (specs) and iPhone 6 (design/features).*

* Has not yet happened, but PM me next year if I'm wrong.

This is purely speculation on your part. So far there has been an iPod Touch released with every new iPhone with the exception of the 4S. Until the skip of the iPhone 4S, the iPod also had the same processor as the iPhone. My assumption is that they skipped the 4S, so they could start putting the previous AX processor into the iPod and save their brand new AX processor for their flagship devices (i.e. iPhone and iPad).

We had 4 straight models of iPod Touches and then "one skipped" and then a new one, so to extrapolate that Apple will only be releasing a new one every two years because they skipped a model one seems to be a bit of a stretch. Even your comment about how S models is off because we have had 2 S models and only one of those didn't have a refresh of the iPod Touch. You need more than one occurrence to extrapolate a pattern.

I argue that one missed release is simply a missed release and that the pattern of the other 5 years lends credibility to a new iPod Touch to be released this year when they refresh the iPod line.

Ghostbusters

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
I argue that one missed release is simply a missed release and that the pattern of the other 5 years lends credibility to a new iPod Touch to be released this year when they refresh the iPod line.

I understand and see your valid point. I respectfully disagree. I firmly believe and can bet the house that there will be no new iPod touch this year. PM me if I'm wrong and I will call up your favorite local pizza restaurant and have a large pizza delivered to your home. :)

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I understand and see your valid point. I respectfully disagree. I firmly believe and can bet the house that there will be no new iPod touch this year. PM me if I'm wrong and I will call up your favorite local pizza restaurant and have a large pizza delivered to your home. :)

Hey I'm not saying it isn't possible that they would skip an update and to be honest I haven't owned an iPod Touch since the 2G model (and don't plan to buy one any time soon as we just use our "old" iPhones as iPods if/when we need one). I couldn't care less whether Apple releases a 6G iPod Touch this year or not. My point is simply right now we have only missed one "generation", so we'll have to see what they do in the coming months.

I fully expect them to finally retire the iPod Classic, but that's a whole other thread.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
You must have missed this then

http://www.apple.com/uk/support/products/ipod.html

I don't think the classic is being retired anytime soon

So what? How hard is it to remove a few links and some text (I will tell you it's easy since I do it for a living). If they get a handful of people to buy it, then they probably made their money off of the limited work it took to create the product and slap a few extra words on a page. The iPod Classic doesn't fit in with apples goal of solid state drives (ie flash) and touch screen now does it? Soon as they have a 128gb iPod touch it will be gone. They haven't even released a new version since like 2008! That's even worse than the treatment the Mac Pro has gotten. Apple hasn't even made the small change to use he 200+ Fb drives that exist out there that would fit the iPod Classic. I mean how much research and development would that take (maybe all of 2 hours?!?). No my friend the only reason it exists at all is because they don't have a 100+ Gb iPod to take its place!

AaronM5670

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2012
Norwich, UK
Remember that the 4th gen is nearly 4 years old and is roughly equivalent to the iPhone 3GS in terms of internals which didn't get iOS 7.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here

Apple certainly should have stopped selling the iPod touch 4G when the 5G was released. But two wrongs don't make a right- the majority of iOS devices in use are not iPod touch 4Gs, and therefore it would be counterproductive to hold back the entire iOS ecosystem for one device. Also, Apple hasn't released security updates for iOS devices since the days of iPhone OS 2 when you had to pay for each major version update. They're not likely to start that again.

MeUnix

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2013
San Francisco

Money and incompatible internals on the iPod 4G. 256mb of RAM is not enough to run iOS7 without lag, which would cause people with iPod 4G's to complain to Apple about their device being sluggish, which then would cause people to rant about Apple "not caring" about their customers.

I do agree that they should have taken them off the market sooner than this past May, seeing as many people probably opted for the iPod 4G over the 5G because of the pricing difference.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Money and incompatible internals on the iPod 4G. 256mb of RAM is not enough to run iOS7 without lag, which would cause people with iPod 4G's to complain to Apple about their device being sluggish, which then would cause people to rant about Apple "not caring" about their customers.

I do agree that they should have taken them off the market sooner than this past May, seeing as many people probably opted for the iPod 4G over the 5G because of the pricing difference.
Unfortunately there are still some stores that are selling them now.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Have you tried running ios 6 on an ipod touch 4 gen not that great an experience can only imagine how bad ios 7 would be plus its old tech.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011

No, in this case it is about specs. The fourth generation iPod touch has the same A4 as the iPhone 4, but it has the exact same GPU and RAM as the iPhone 3GS. There's no way the fourth gen would be able to support iOS 7 without MAJOR feature dropage and EXTREME lag

Do you guys think iTunes Radio will come to iPod Touch 4g?

No, iTunes Radio requires iOS 7+

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.