Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dantracht

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Anyone else notice how slow safari is on iPad 4 after the iOS 7 update? It's laggy to the point of being unusable.

I closed the app, did a hard reboot, to no avail. Typing anything in the search window is SLOW.

Thanks in advance.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
Anyone else notice how slow safari is on iPad 4 after the iOS 7 update? It's laggy to the point of being unusable.

I closed the app, did a hard reboot, to no avail. Typing anything in the search window is SLOW.

Thanks in advance.

Strange, on my iPad 2, it's fast and fluid.

liquid stereo

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2005
Saint Paul
Yes its slow

I feel like I'm back in 2003 with an old PowerMac G4. Little, if anything, is instantaneous.

I think its all the transitions and "pretty-ware".

Thanks in advance.

prism

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2006
Mine seems to be ok with small lags and stutters here and there!
It seems strange that we would experience lags on their flagship ipad, maybe they spent all this time optimizing it for the yet to be announced ipad 5. Now that would be seriously annoying!

wjdav2

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2011
Safari hasn't slowed on my iPad 4. The only "issues" noticed so far, the wallpaper change is slow, and the hand gesture to return to the homescreen is a little jerky.

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Safari hasn't slowed on my iPad 4. The only "issues" noticed so far, the wallpaper change is slow, and the hand gesture to return to the homescreen is a little jerky.

Sounds like you should do a factory reset and clean install. It will remove all prior versions and be a nice clean install. Did it with my iPad 3, it was big improvement.

wjdav2

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2011
Sounds like you should do a factory reset and clean install. It will remove all prior versions and be a nice clean install. Did it with my iPad 3, it was big improvement.

How would I do this? Connect to iTunes and return to factory settings and treat it like a new iPad? I'm assuming I wouldn't restore from a backup. Is that correct?

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Correct. Factory reset, clean install ios7, no backups, treat it like new iPad. It may make a noticeable difference. It did on my 3.

rufinus

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2011
Planet Earth
Upgraded yesterday my Ipad 3 from iOS 6. Just for curiosity, as after reading the net i have expected lags and stattering. Wanted to do afterwards clean install, but so far turnes out it is not necessary. There is maybe some very slight lag here and there, just on the edje of recognition, and not always.
Feels kind of like good Android. Surely, there is room for improvement.

Wallpaper changing bug is there and reprodusable.

If Apple optimizes iOS 7 still a bit in future updates, will be perfect (except icons and colours, IMHO).

Yochanan

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2009
Safari unusable. IPad 2

Upgraded this evening and Safari is unusable with the lag
Atomic Browser works great. Normal speed.
Apple had better come up with a fix for Safari FAST!

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
I've noticed lag on my iPad 4 as well. It's noticeable when scrolling between home screens, typing quickly and scrolling in Safari. It's quite annoying given the supposed strength of the A6X processor and the graphics processor Apple kept going on about. Hopefully, future updates will improve iOS 7's optimization with the iPad, but at the moment, it's really irritating (even with all other applications manually closed).

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
Speed-wise, not bad on my 3 but somewhat crashy. I've had especially bad luck with searches on a page.

derbyshire2013

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2013
East Midlands
I've noticed lag on my iPad 4 as well. It's noticeable when scrolling between home screens, typing quickly and scrolling in Safari. It's quite annoying given the supposed strength of the A6X processor and the graphics processor Apple kept going on about. Hopefully, future updates will improve iOS 7's optimization with the iPad, but at the moment, it's really irritating (even with all other applications manually closed).

It's gotten to the point I've actually powered down my iPad 4 and put it away until there's an update that sorts these issues out....

I know it's early days yet and patience is a virtue but I've no virtues or patience with it right now!

cypriot

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
It's gotten to the point I've actually powered down my iPad 4 and put it away until there's an update that sorts these issues out....

I know it's early days yet and patience is a virtue but I've no virtues or patience with it right now!

It comes to a point where i want to update but i remember your comment and settle down. Thanks. How has it been for you? Are issues still there?

fmfcouto

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2013
Safari on IOS 7 slow fix

Good evening. Just verified a tip I got and confirmed it.

The favorites toolbar must not be activated, otherwise...it renders Safari unusable. I suspect this has to do with the amount of favorites each individual has, and I have a large amount of entries.

It went back to normal instantaneously, after I switched it off. I believe that Apple has to address this major bug, not documented yet.

I hope it works for everyone. I am almost sure it will, after trying just about ever other tip around.

Fank

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2009
OH USA
bugs and other bugs

fmcouto -

Thanks for the tip;

Another possible cause for lag/slow performance in Safari after ios7 update has something to do with icloud backup - after shutting it off my ipad2 picked up speed in Safari - not perfect as it sometimes still lags, but a great improvement.

derbyshire2013

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2013
East Midlands
It comes to a point where i want to update but i remember your comment and settle down. Thanks. How has it been for you? Are issues still there?

No problem.

I have recently started to use it again sparingly but there are definitely some lagging issues and kinks that don't trouble my iPhone as much.

Safari is definitely better on my iPhone 5 than it is my iPad 4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.