Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
I like it. Just started about 6 songs ago. It's nice how they give you the option to purchase the current and recently played songs.

The only problem is that the only spot where the current song is listed is the activity window at the top. So if you are doing something else in iTunes (syncing your phone), then you are SOL until the next song.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I like it. Just started about 6 songs ago. It's nice how they give you the option to purchase the current and recently played songs.

The only problem is that the only spot where the current song is listed is the activity window at the top. So if you are doing something else in iTunes (syncing your phone), then you are SOL until the next song.

I like that I can SKIP the current radio song and move on to the next track.

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2011
It is incredibly generous of Apple to start filling apps with opportunities to spend your hard-earned cash with them.

You have the option to purchase whatever you please.

Obviously they do this for their gain. However, what makes Apple a profitable company is for them to provide you with simple, quick ways to purchase products that you want.

It's a heck of a lot nicer than clicking a link in an app on your phone, then it takes you to the iTunes store but doesn't load the song. Then you go back to the app, click the link again, then it takes you to the song in iTunes, then you go through the purchasing steps. That's a hassle.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
The only thing I dislike is that they currently do not play enough of your selection (i.e. I created a "Pink Floyd" channel. The first song I got was a Pink Floyd song but I didn't get any after that). I think that when you create a channel, they should at least play (at a minimum) 1 out of 10 from that band / artist.

mtngoatjoe

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
I had pretty much given up discovering new music. I've bought a few songs since 1996, but not much. Today, it's a whole new world.

I had thought about trying Pandora and the like, but my country music tastes aren't mainstream, and their libraries seemed too small to have much I'd be interested in. That's an assumption on my part, but that's how I felt.

I live in Seattle, and the country music on the radio here is awful. That's led me to be a pretty faithful NPR listener for many years.

But like I said, today is a whole new world. I just can't believe how much I'm enjoying iTunes Radio. Wow! I knew there was good music somewhere, but being in Seattle makes finding it really hard.

Thanks Apple!

oldhifi

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2013
USA
I hate it..I will use my Tunein radio app where I can get my preset stations..

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Absolutely love it! I've been running iTunes Radio for about 4 month, including a 5000 mile road trip around the US. Never once did I turn on the radio, just played song after song through my iPhone plugged directly into the car stereo.

I sit back and try to think of the last time I opened iTunes for something ( it's been awhile ). Now iTunes is constantly running throwing songs at me at the office and at home. Pure genius. I've already purchased a song that I had completely forgotten about. I'm upgrading to the $24 / year plan since I canceled my Pandora about 4 months ago and now have deleted Spotify off my computer as well. Pandora was playing repetitive music and Spotify... well I CAN'T DELETE THE @%A#*& STATIONS!!

danniers

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2013
then it takes you to the song in iTunes, then you go through the purchasing steps.
14Iq7Rs

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
The sound quality of iTunes Radio blows me away.

I don't have the best ears, but it sounds fuller, richer, deeper and more nuanced than Pandora, an app I've adored but which I've now dropped like a hot rock.

iTunes Radio also offers a broader, more eclectic selection that Pandora does in the genres I like. I've discovered and then purchased music from new artists through Pandora before and expect to do more of that through iTunes Radio too, then.

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
Playing on the road?

960design, you said you played iTunes Radio on a 5000 mile road trip. How did you do that without racking up enormous charges for data (or, if you still have an unlimited data plan, without getting throttled by your carrier)?

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
960design, you said you played iTunes Radio on a 5000 mile road trip. How did you do that without racking up enormous charges for data (or, if you still have an unlimited data plan, without getting throttled by your carrier)?
I have an unlimited data plan. I've only been throttled once back in late 2012. I think I was watching IT Crowd at lunch everyday AND streaming music (Pandora and Spotify) the rest of the day. The only reason I even know that throttling occurred was because I saw it in a report when I went to pay my bill. ( alot of I's in that sentence ).

I apparently didn't hit the throttle point on my road trip. My total usage was only 4.3GB for July ( road trip month ) according the the usage billing stuff.

Last edited:

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
Thanks!

Thanks, 960design. I also have an unlimited data plan, but was worried I might get throttled if I streamed iTunes Radio on a 20+ hour drive I have coming up. Your post was reassuring.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.