Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I upgraded an iPhone 5 to iOS 7 the other day. This morning I noticed that the Bookmarks Bar folder had disappeared. I visited the Apple store and found that two iPhone 5s display models also lacked this folder and one of the people working there had the same issue.

Is there some bug in iOS 7 that deletes this folder? Does anyone else have this prolem? Any idea how to get it back?

I have a Genius Bar appointment but not till tomorrow night.

I've already tried restarting the phone. I disabled then reenabled iCloud for Safari and restarted after that. No help.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I have the same problem! My iPad 3 was fine at first with iOS 7 but this morning I noticed that all my bookmarks were gone. GRRRRR!!!! I use my bookmarks bar on a daily basis. So after I got home with the new iPhone 5s and got that all up and running, synced, etc., I turned my attention to the iPad 3. I tried a "soft" reboot, I tried a "hard" reboot, I turned Safari off and on again in iCloud,and none of those potential solutions worked. I am now restoring the iPad 3 from scratch, which is taking a lot of time and is annoying, to say the least. If THAT doesn't work I will really be pissed off!

As a Mac user I am not thrilled with the sudden change of terminology...... "Favorites" smacks too much of Windows and AOHell to me. Ugh!!!

Any other suggestions for remedying this would be welcomed........

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
That part was understandable. It also worked fine for a while.....now it is totally gone on my iPad 3. ??? iPhone 5 and later the new iPhone 5s were fine and continue to be. Ditto for the iPad Mini (which I am typing on right now). Something went whacko with my iPad 3, and I am not happy about that.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
are you maybe referring to the what is now called the "Favorites" folder?

Good catch. However, it only brought over less than have the links that should be there.

Also, after turning iCloud off then on I lost about 80% of the links in the bookmarks menu folder.

Edit: 6 hours later.

I don't know why it took so long but eventually all my bookmarks returned. Bookmarks bar has been replaced by Favorites on the iPhone. I don't know about the iPad.

My suggestion to those having trouble with this is to be very patient. Wait a day to see if the bookmarks update after resetting them by cycling iCloud off then on.

This may be a temporary problem because the servers are busy with the iOS 7 release.

Last edited:

cnelson26

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2007
The issue got a bit skewed on this thread. OP was asking where the bookmarks bar went. I am also asking this. I have searched the inter-webs high and low and have not been able to find the answer to this question. I understand it is now called "Favorites." But visually speaking, there is no longer a bar underneath the omnibar--address bar--with my "favorites." What gives?

There used to be a control in Settings.app to toggle the Bookmarks Bar, but iOS 7 seemingly did away with this toggle. Can anyone help? It's my assumption that Apple simply did away with the bar and expects the user to simply click the little bookmarks button at the bottom of the Safari window. Admittedly, this isn't the biggest deal in the world, but I do like having the option to display the physical bar there if I so choose to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.