Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Haha - Apple's resistant yet to another thing has made it "un-famous" - This is great:

So far Apple has proven that in 2013:
- We don't need NFC - as we can do just fine without it
- We don't need Quad-Core processors that fill spec sheets for our mobile phones in order to have the best experience
- We don't need 2-3GB of RAM on our smartphones, we can do just fine with 1GB all while having the best experience
- We don't need any of Samsung's "Innovations" such as that fly over finger tech, eye gesture? - as those features are jus gimmicks and nothing more.
- We don't need LTE-A as its "rarely" available, it makes sense, I think apple would much rather perfect their iPhone that supports LTE-A than just release one without testing it well enough - much like what Samsung does.

One thing I think they should have included is/was AC-WiFi Support - however with the readily available WiFi networks all over - the need isn't exactly there and its more of a "want"

This is great, I love how apple always sticks by what works rather than always jumping ship at any and every chance they get, we can clearly see apple spends the time to perfect before moving on.

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
NFC is fantastic. I should have my iPhone 5C and it's the one thing I'll miss from my Nexus 4. Just tap and pay without pulling your wallet out at any US merchant that takes contactless cards. It truly is amazing, and if more merchants took contactless it'd be fantastic.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
They must have wanted someone to use it, or something..

----------

NFC is fantastic. I should have my iPhone 5C and it's the one thing I'll miss from my Nexus 4. Just tap and pay without pulling your wallet out at any US merchant that takes contactless cards. It truly is amazing, and if more merchants took contactless it'd be fantastic.

Overhyped, overrated, incredibly insecure, and not something I would use even if Apple lost their mind and convinced themselves it was anything but what it is.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
That was my point. People are claiming Google is desperate but it's just a matter of them going where the money is.

Except for the whole Motorola Mobility $12.5 billion money pit thing.
Google went to where the money isn't.
MM is still bleeding cash.

----------

They must have wanted someone to use it, or something..

----------

Overhyped, overrated, incredibly insecure, and not something I would use even if Apple lost their mind and convinced themselves it was anything but what it is.

Butt-hurt much?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Except for the whole Motorola Mobility $12.5 billion money pit thing.
Google went to where the money isn't.
MM is still bleeding cash.

----------

Butt-hurt much?

Am I the only one amused when people talk about how something is bleeding cash?

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003

NOT incredibly insecure at all, unlike an unencrypted (NON-EMV) contactless card, the phone payment is ONLY readable with the screen on and wallet app unlocked. VERY secure.

gmcalpin

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2008
Somerville, MA
I'm happy about this mainly because I want a solid alternative to PayPal.
If we're talking about PayPal alternatives, I want Dwolla to take off. FREE transactions under $10; 25¢ for ANY other amount. It's an internet merchant's wet dream… but nobody uses it.

----------

- We don't need any of Samsung's "Innovations" such as that fly over finger tech, eye gesture? - as those features are jus gimmicks and nothing more.
I have to disagree with you on this. (The rest of your post, I agree with.)

The fly-over finger tech has crazy potential — and eye gestures raise some interesting possibilities, too.

I don't know how well they're implemented on Samsung's stuff, and maybe they're gimmicky there, but the very fine-line difference between a gimmick and a good idea isn't what it does but why it does it.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
All companies have failures. You can't make money unless you take risk.

Google has apparently forgotten that time-honored phrase: "due diligence."
As in carefully reviewing Motorola Mobility's past, current, and future business plans.
As in carefully reviewing MM's patent portfolio (which was the real reason for the acquisition.)
And who knows what else Google forgot to do with respect to "due diligence."

And why would any corporation bother with all that hard stuff?
Because some risks are better than others.
Better to minimize the risks and/or get a clear understanding of the risks.
Too much money at stake to just goof around and try random tactics.

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
What I laugh at is the NFC hate on here just cause Apple doesn't have it. If Apple added it this release, everyone would be gushing over it. I'm sorry, I LOVE my new iPhone 5C but NFC is BY FAR the Android feature I miss most. It's so nice. Tap a friend's phone to send them your contact info. Or a picture (when combined with Bluetooth). Tap a PIN pad to pay at the store without even digging in your purse. Look at Japan where a proprietary contactless system can be used to pay for almost everything. It's one of the things people DON'T like about iPhones there. And Americans wouldn't either if they knew.

Obviously, I find the platform as a whole far better thus why I decided to get the 5C. But don't kid yourself, NFC, especially NFC contactless payment, is freaking amazing.

Surreal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
NFC might be nice with Touch ID. I actually hoped that both would make it into this generation. TouchID to verify purchase.

It might happen next year. I imaging that Apple would want to vet one technology at a time and Touch ID has more whiz bang.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
What I laugh at is the NFC hate on here just cause Apple doesn't have it. If Apple added it this release, everyone would be gushing over it. I'm sorry, I LOVE my new iPhone 5C but NFC is BY FAR the Android feature I miss most. It's so nice. Tap a friend's phone to send them your contact info. Or a picture (when combined with Bluetooth). Tap a PIN pad to pay at the store without even digging in your purse. Look at Japan where a proprietary contactless system can be used to pay for almost everything. It's one of the things people DON'T like about iPhones there. And Americans wouldn't either if they knew.

Obviously, I find the platform as a whole far better thus why I decided to get the 5C. But don't kid yourself, NFC, especially NFC contactless payment, is freaking amazing.

you can text a contact from your iphone in 2 seconds. no point in touching the phones

CKA

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2013
Google goes anywhere it can make a profit.

----------

Send some to me to see how well it works :D.

I think not exactly. Google go all the way that it can collect your privacy information and sell to its client . :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.