Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fendi10023

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
I walked into my local Sprint store yesterday to try and get the 5s. A sales associate told me they didn't have any (not sure if sold out or just didn't get any). Anyways, she did tell me that I could order then and they would pretty much order me a phone and I would get a call telling me to pick it up on Monday.Anyone ever done this? She seemed quite sure and on point with what she was saying, but I've read quite a few horror stories recently that has me questioning ..

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
What do you expect?

She wouldn't say "Sure. Order it here and we will give it to you in 3 weeks." ?

You would leave immediately...

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
You're dealing with Sprint….take everything they say with a freaking mountain of salt and toss it into the trash!

I tried several times to order phones through them and I have officially given up!!! Even after paying for overnight shipping, in store pick-up and etc. I never got anything sooner than a week after I ordered it!!!

I no longer care if they'd be offering me 75% off the new iPhone, I order all phones for my son and myself through Apple only!

mush10

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
If it helps I stopped at a Best Buy looking for an AT&T model. They didn't have them, but did have Sprint. May want to check your local Best Buy.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
My first iPhone was a 3GS, locked at T-Mobile.
This was my last locked phone.

I never ever want to deal with customer service from carriers again.
They want to sell new contracts, that's all they care about.

(It's a bit different here in Europe.)

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
You'll be lucky to get a phone by Thanksgiving. Scalper teams will continue to buy up gold and silver, they are doubling their money on Ebay and Craiglist.

Check it for yourself.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'd say whether intentionally or not she was lying to you.
She's a Sprint store employee and she opened her mouth and spoke words, so yeah, she's lying
First rule of being a Sprint customer is never to believe a word a Sprint CSR says.

Get that rule down and deal with Sprint on that basis and your Sprint experience will go much smoother. :)

One of the reasons I bought direct from Apple online when I got my iPhone 5. Now all I have to deal with Sprint for is paying my bill. I deal with Apple if my iPhone needs anything.

RolandNights

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
California
I walked into my local Sprint store yesterday to try and get the 5s. A sales associate told me they didn't have any (not sure if sold out or just didn't get any). Anyways, she did tell me that I could order then and they would pretty much order me a phone and I would get a call telling me to pick it up on Monday.Anyone ever done this? She seemed quite sure and on point with what she was saying, but I've read quite a few horror stories recently that has me questioning ..

I did the same thing, but I'm not sure how the system actually works. FWIW, I put a $50 "deposit" down. They put the $50 on a gift card and gave it back to me for when I actually buy the phone.

They took my contact info and said they'd call/email me when the phone was available. However, the receipt he gave me just said I purchased a gift card and there were no details about any phone. When I worked at Best Buy, we actually managed "waitlists" for the iPad 3 in the same manner, but the customer was given a printout detailing the nature of their reservation (we didn't openly advertise it, but if a customer asked we would do it for them). Likewise, I remember those customers coming back with an email printout saying their purchases was ready for pickup.

Has anyone worked with Sprint to do the same thing?

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
You'll be lucky to get a phone by Thanksgiving. Scalper teams will continue to buy up gold and silver, they are doubling their money on Ebay and Craiglist.

Check it for yourself.

Interesting. I ordered two gold tmobile versions from apple.com as gifts. May end up selling them if prices stay high and gift the other colors instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.