Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stephen1108

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
I was in Chrome loading a page, and I noticed it was lagging and unresponsive a bit. Then out of no where this blue screen comes up w/ like 4 red vertical lines and then my phone resprung. I think it might be an iOS 7 problem, but I'm not sure... I'm actually not sure if it restarted, or resprung.

Any idea on what the problem could have been?

Last edited:

BJonson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
My safari has crashed twice but did not exhibit that behavior. Wait for 7.1.

Jess77

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2012
I've had something similar. The first time I launched Settings and it flashed a blue screen and rebooted itself. The second time I was trying to get into one of my data management apps and it did it again. I returned it anyway and am staying with my 5, but when I was returning it at the Apple store, the guy asked me if I would just like to get it replaced.

stephen1108

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
I've had something similar. The first time I launched Settings and it flashed a blue screen and rebooted itself. The second time I was trying to get into one of my data management apps and it did it again. I returned it anyway and am staying with my 5, but when I was returning it at the Apple store, the guy asked me if I would just like to get it replaced.

Interesting! I haven't had it happen since so I'm not returning it yet. But if it persists, I'm most definitely getting it replaced.

Why did you flat out return it and not replace it?

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Interesting! I haven't had it happen since so I'm not returning it yet. But if it persists, I'm most definitely getting it replaced.

Replacement for what? Apple doesn't warranty against faulty 3rd party apps. Send a big report to google.

stephen1108

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
Replacement for what? Apple doesn't warranty against faulty 3rd party apps. Send a big report to google.

Because that's not normal behavior for an iOS device period. It's never happened before with any of my iPhones or iPad. You would think if an app is faulty, it would cause the app to crash, not for the entire system to reboot. Isn't that how Apple built iOS?

Clearly I'm not the only one who's experienced this issue, this happened to the guy above with the stock settings app.

Jess77

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2012

It did it multiple times since yesterday, but I had the 5 since launch and have always upgraded every year but there wasn't a huge difference from going to the 5 to 5s, at least in my opinion (when I upgraded from 4 to 4S, I could tell the difference). I figure eh, it's okay. I'll wait out for the 6 or whatever it's called next time.

stephen1108

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
It did it multiple times since yesterday, but I had the 5 since launch and have always upgraded every year but there wasn't a huge difference from going to the 5 to 5s, at least in my opinion (when I upgraded from 4 to 4S, I could tell the difference). I figure eh, it's okay. I'll wait out for the 6 or whatever it's called next time.

Ahhhhh ok, well to each their own!

Hopefully this isn't a problem that persists. I've already added all my screen protectors and whatnot. If I have to get the phone replaced that would be really inconvenient. >.>

Karpfish

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2006
Because that's not normal behavior for an iOS device period. It's never happened before with any of my iPhones or iPad. You would think if an app is faulty, it would cause the app to crash, not for the entire system to reboot. Isn't that how Apple built iOS?

Clearly I'm not the only one who's experienced this issue, this happened to the guy above with the stock settings app.

Correct. Apps are sandboxed so any problems within an app will not influence the overall system. If the system is forced to reboot, it's more than just an app issue.

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
So apple is now in charge of fully testing and fixing every app in the App Store? Interesting assessment.

if i were pessimistic id just say its a grand conspiracy and say Google purposely makes its app suck on iOS so people will be like iPhone sucks, im switching to android. Let me go buy that Nexus that nobody else in the world has.

c0LdFire

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2013
I had a random respring in settings this morning, iOS 7 Beta 1 style. I'm sure they'll iron out the bugs quickly. It's been stable overall.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
So apple is now in charge of fully testing and fixing every app in the App Store? Interesting assessment.

No, Apple is in charge of ensuring that Apps are properly sandboxed and that the APIs it provides to developers are not broken.

An App shouldn't be able to crash the OS, even if it wanted to.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
No, Apple is in charge of ensuring that Apps are properly sandboxed and that the APIs it provides to developers are not broken.

An App shouldn't be able to crash the OS, even if it wanted to.

The op didn't just open chrome and it crashed. They used chrome to go to some web page and some rare collection of events caused a crash. Not apples responsibility. Again. Send bug report to google.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
The op didn't just open chrome and it crashed. They used chrome to go to some web page and some rare collection of events caused a crash. Not apples responsibility. Again. Send bug report to google.

No, as I said, there's not anything that Chrome should be able to do, even in a "rare collection of events" that would result in the OS crashing.

The OS should:

1) Prevent any action like that

2) Ensure that if one App does crash, others (as well as system processes) are not impacted in any way.

I'd imagine if you look in the logs on the OP's device, you'll find that Springboard or another Apple application crashed - so Apple will get the bug report.

stephen1108

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
I'm glad other people feel the same way I do about apps being sandboxed :)

I know that no app should be able to crash the OS even if the developers tried to build it that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.