Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
Just wondering if anyone with a contracted & locked AT&T iPhone 5S has been able to successfully unlock their phone through one of the online unlocking services. If so, which one?

If it's successful, I'm happy to save myself some $ :)

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Just wondering if anyone with a contracted & locked AT&T iPhone 5S has been able to successfully unlock their phone through one of the online unlocking services. If so, which one?

If it's successful, I'm happy to save myself some $ :)

yep for $2 on ebay.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
No need for eBay. swiftunlocks will do for $2. Few hours you will get email confirmation that your phone was unlocked and all you have to do is restore it on iTunes.

cnotes2019

Suspended
Aug 17, 2013
So what happens if you buy a AT&T subsidized iPhone 5s and then connect it to iTunes ? It won't unlock it that way ? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
As I said, I've done with swiftunlocks. I have 64gb subsidized at&t. Now I'm rocking it with T-Mobile. I have true unlimited plan and I can tether like crazy with ios7. No cap and no restriction :)

blhoward2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
It seems to matter where you bought it. If you buy from Apple full price its unlocked. If you buy from Best Buy (and maybe AT&T) then its not unlocked even if you pay full price.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
NO THEY DIDN'T .. They connected it to iTunes and got the unlock message. .....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Simply connecting your phone to iTunes won't do anything. You use the service, they whitelist the iPhone, you connect ti iTunes, it tells your phone it unlock.

So yes, they did use the service. The service is, the company whitelists your IMEI.

cnotes2019

Suspended
Aug 17, 2013
Successful AT&T locked/contract 5s unlock service?

Simply connecting your phone to iTunes won't do anything. You use the service, they whitelist the iPhone, you connect ti iTunes, it tells your phone it unlock.

So yes, they did use the service. The service is, the company whitelists your IMEI.

WRONG ..it's the same thing as if they paid full price. When connect it to iTunes it restores your phone and then you get the unlocked message. NO OUTSIDE SERVICE USED

All I'm stating is that two others were able to connect it to iTunes after paying a subsidized price and not using any unlocking service were able to have their AT&T iPhone 5s unlocked via iTunes and I'm looking for others who've done that

blhoward2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
It doesn't work like that.
Unless they paid full price for their iPhone. If they got it under contract it will be locked and won't unlock on its own just by plugging it to iTunes.

You guys are confusing the issue. IF you paid full price for an AT&T phone, it depends on where you bought it. If from Apple, you have to connect to iTunes and then you get the unlocked message on a restore LIKE you used a service.

This is ONLY if you paid full price. Otherwise someone needs to put an unlock in for your IMEI. BUT, not everyone that paid full price can do it.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
This is my third post and you dont understand.

I got my phone from at&t under contract.. So its locked.

Now I have another phone unlimited plan to T-Mobile. Cut my micro Sim to nano.

Then the iPhone from at&t was unlocked by swiftunlocks. (Email confirmation from them)

Go to ****ing iTunes and restore your iPhone together with your T-Mobile Sim and it will tell you after restore the phone was unlocked.

Now your phone is same as the unlock you are buying at apple store. This is permanent.

blhoward2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
This is my third post and you dont understand.

I got my phone from at&t under contract.. So its locked.

Now I have another phone unlimited plan to T-Mobile. Cut my micro Sim to nano.

Then the iPhone from at&t was unlocked by swiftunlocks. (Email confirmation from them)

Go to ****ing iTunes and restore your iPhone together with your T-Mobile Sim and it will tell you after restore the phone was unlocked.

Now your phone is same as the unlock you are buying at apple store. This is permanent.

Correct. You had a contract phone and used a service. But some others who paid full price can unlock simply by connecting to iTunes. That's what is causing the confusion.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
WRONG ..it's the same thing as if they paid full price. When connect it to iTunes it restores your phone and then you get the unlocked message. NO OUTSIDE SERVICE USED

All I'm stating is that two others were able to connect it to iTunes after paying a subsidized price and not using any unlocking service were able to have their AT&T iPhone 5s unlocked via iTunes and I'm looking for others who've done that

If that was the case, then for some reason their iphone was not scanned in properly at the point of sale. But this is going to be a very VERY small minority. You buy subsidized, you don't get a free unlock. Or are not supposed to.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
Yeah some people makes it so hard to understand.

If you paid in full, inserting your Sim will say invalid or whatever error. All you have to do is go to your iTunes and restore the phone with your preferred Sim inside.

Do not buy full price on T-Mobile because they have window time to give you the unlock service. I believe like 40days. So beware if you plan to use it immediately on other carrier.

Swiftunlocks only accepting at&t iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.