Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2005
Any ideas why my 'Export as PDF' aborts with error message 10055, 10059 or 10060 approx. half way through the export every time? I've quit the app. and restarted from scratch - same thing. No info in 'Help' or my QuarkXpress 6 book. Any thoughts would be most appreciated. Thanks.

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
Try going to QuarkXPress / Preferences / PDF / and turn up the Virtual Memory.

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
Well, say you have a hundred page document, export 1-25 first, then 26-50, and so on. See if it does it then. It could be a font issue -- if a font doesn't work well with Quark or is corrupted, it might dump the entire PDF process. It has happened to me a couple times. If you can pinpoint the exact page that is messing up the entire process, change the fonts (or even images) around until it goes through.

Fishes,
narco.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
I can't answer your question, but the answer is usually 'well that's Quark for ya.'

I recommend you invest in Acrobat Professional and use Distiller to generate your PDFs from Quark postscript files. Much better control.

taj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2005
Thanks for all the input. It appears to have been the font issue. I did, indeed, have a corrupted Helvetica font and when I replaced it with a functional Helvetica it exported as a PDF perfectly. Cheers!

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
taj said:
Thanks for all the input. It appears to have been the font issue. I did, indeed, have a corrupted Helvetica font and when I replaced it with a functional Helvetica it exported as a PDF perfectly. Cheers!

Glad you got it fixed -- I thought it sounded like a font issue. Don't listen to the haters who say "that's quark for you" because it runs smoothly when used correctly.

Fishes,
narco.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
narco said:
Don't listen to the haters who say "that's quark for you" because it runs smoothly when used correctly.

You have to be kidding.

It's my bread and butter app, has been for about 7-8 years and is one of the most unreliable pieces of software I've ever used... especially regarding the ludicrous price of it.

The PDF export is terrible. It was only until 6.5 when they fixed the problem of the postscript file going into the jaws/temp folder without being erased... not to mention the altering permissions of every file within the apps folder when installing, not to mention its inabilty to handle PDF v.1.5 especially with spot colours... not to mention its complete reluctance to handle a linked filename or path with folders comtaining more than 21 characters or so... not to mention not sending font postscript data to a shared RIP/printer.

Bloody hopeless -- decksnap is entirely correct. Printing postscript to Distiller is far more reliable.

If that makes me a hater, then it's from long bitter experience.

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
narco said:
Glad you got it fixed -- I thought it sounded like a font issue. Don't listen to the haters who say "that's quark for you" because it runs smoothly when used correctly.

Fishes,
narco.

Have to agree with Blue Velvet. I have been using Quark for over 15 years, the pace of development at Quark is slow, even downright lazy. Remember, this is the app that sidetracked OSX for years. I remember when they finally got a OSX version going, I ordered it immediately. It took months to come. When I asked the Quark rep what was taking so long she replied "You have to give us time". My reply was "OSX has been out for over 3 years, how much more time do you need?" I would hope they don't drag their feet on the Intel switch they way they did for OSX. As far as PDFs from Quark, I think that Adobe has some blame here. After all, I'm sure that Adobe doesn't want to deal Quark a full deck when they have their own design app. ;)

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
narco said:

Fishes,
narco.

You can call me a hater, but don't tell me I'm not using it correctly. I've been using it for about eight years now, and glitches and unreliability are the name of the game when it comes to Quark.

Layer34

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2005
London
anyone that doesnt think quark is a piece of crap must need their head testing - i used it every single day and every single day i wish is could rip my eyes out of my head so i dont have to see any more quark errors or bugs.

And before you say use it correctly - I do!

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
I didn't mean to say you are using it correctly, I should have rephrased my statement.

I've been using Quark for about 11 years now, and although I'll agree with everybody's problems with previous versions, I was referring to the newest 6.5 version. I would also like to clear things up about the PDF export -- I agree it's buggy in Quark, which is why I also use .ps files and Distiller.

I put together eight 100+ page magazines a month, and haven't had problems since 6.5. I don't personally know anyone else who uses Quark, so I am just speaking from my personal experience.

My apologies about the previous post.

Fishes,
narco.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.