Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrishanna22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2011
In deleting 40GB of stuff that I longer needed for my Mac, I deleted System Preferences...
1. I tried StellarPhoenix (deleted files recovery program) to no avail.
2. I updated my MacBook to the lastest OS (10.6.8) & the problem wasn't resolved.
3. I tried using Bluetooth & then a USB to place the System Preferences on one my Macs to the one that it is missing on... This didn't work, because the Mac that has System Preferences is on Leopard, and the one that it is missing on is on Snow Leopard... The Leopard system preferences doesn't function on the newer OS I guess.
4. Some people recommend using the installation DVD to recover it somehow but that's been long lost.

When I update to Lion, will it be recovered somehow? Is that my only choice?

PS I'm pretty stupid when it comes to computers so I apologize upfront if anything I've written above does not make sense.

Iams Cat

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2012
I found a fix !!

Hello Everyone,

I have also deleted the 'System Preferences' Application and I have finally found a fix. This fix is very simple but it works. Here are the steps to re-installing it. If you have a second mac with the same operating system then great, if not just go to the nearest Apple Store.

1.) Open a new Finder window.
2.) On the left hand side of the window there is a tab labeled 'FAVORITES' under this tab there is the Application 'AirDrop'.
3.) Open this app.
4.) On the second Mac repeat steps 1-3.
5.) [second Mac] Go to the applications and drag the 'System Preferences' over to the 'AirDrop' window, hover it over the first Mac and drop. You should get a message asking if you would like to send this over to "XYZ's Computer" hit accept.
6.) [first Mac] On the first Mac accept the file and open it.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hello Everyone,

I have also deleted the 'System Preferences' Application and I have finally found a fix. This fix is very simple but it works. Here are the steps to re-installing it. If you have a second mac with the same operating system then great, if not just go to the nearest Apple Store.
Your solution doesn't work unless you have access to another Mac with the same OS, and Snow Leopard is no longer available for sale in any Apple store. Note that this thread is a year old, and the OP had Snow Leopard installed, which doesn't include AirDrop and not all Macs that can run Lion will support AirDrop. Also, AirDrop is not required to transfer files between Macs. Dropbox, email, network file sharing and many other solutions will work, as well.

Iams Cat

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2012
Re: Ggj

Sorry didn't realize that I was just excited when I found a solution for my issue.

Thatsuzuki1000

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2013
please help!

I have the same problem but with leopard unfortunately snow leopard version wont fix it can someone please post the version my cd drive is broken want to fix it for my daughter:confused:

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
1. How are you all "accidentally" deleting System Preferences?

2. Why do you have no backup?

3. You need to have an installer disk (or recovery partition) so you can reinstall your OS; run Disk Utility on your main internal volume; perform other emergency troubleshooting. If you don't have access to a working disk or drive, then THAT is your major problem, not a lack of one app. (As well as no backup.)

4. Don't accept system files from strange men on the internet. You don't know where they've been. (The files, not the men.:D)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

Boxnwhit

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2014
Need help, I'm started to believe my daughter may have deleted the system preferences on her profile. Tried just creating a new profile for her and still have no access. I do have access to it on my main admin account but can't on any other profile. It shows as available in the top file bar but when clicked does nothing? Running 10.2.8 and no I don't have the install disk :( Any help is greatly appreciated , thanks!

Last edited:

alexsong1

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2015
Hey guys I gatta say thaaanksssss, you saved my arrss. Now what about deleted Utilities (all of them) 10.6.8 can get to disk utilities to do anything stytem is working fine otherwise other than my keyboard cant spell.

mikkie98

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2017
Hi!
I was given an old MacBook Pro ... my FIRST experience with Macs!
No installation disk or such though :(

This machine is in FRENCH and I'm trying to switch it to English: Unfortunately, the System Preference for 10.6.8 installation says it is 'broken' or 'damaged'. Which means I can't go change the language!

I tried to download the available copies shared above, but all of them gave me an error in DropBox (error 403)... Could someone re-share this application please?

HELP!!

M
P.S. I contacted Apple support via chat, and they said they can't help since they "are not trained on older systems" ... :(

Last edited:

mzokari

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2017
I know this is quite old now but could you please post the system preference application for 10.6.8 again?? Really need it now since I accidentally deleted mine and I do not have another mac... PLZZZZZZZZ

MeNotYou

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2017
Orlando
Can anyone please repost the system pref file for 10.6.8 because whenever i click on the link it takes me to dropbox and it says the file couldnt be found i really REALLY need the file if ayone could help i'd appreciate it SO much

defender

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2006
Also looking for System Preferences for OSX 10.6.8, anyone got a link to a working download?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.