Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
Let me be another that chimes in to say that so far my iPad 3 works quite well with iOS7. I did a clean install though as I was coming from a jailbrake.

Battery life seems as good as before. Speed is about the same. So far, so good..

corry20

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2006
Let me be another that chimes in to say that so far my iPad 3 works quite well with iOS7. I did a clean install though as I was coming from a jailbrake.

Battery life seems as good as before. Speed is about the same. So far, so good..

I didn't do any clean install went on fine and have had no issues.

Dav1

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
While I'm at it: a pet peeve is people talking about a "clean install" of iOS. This is not one of your options if you have a problem. Your options are Restore and Recovery.

Actually it is an option, it might NOT be an easy option (thanks to Apple) but it is an option.

If you have access to your iPad you can simply go to Settings | reset | erase all content and settings. Then connect it to iTunes and restore and set up as new.

If you don't have access to your iPad you can connect it to iTunes restore, and then go to settings | reset | erase all content and settings | then connect to iTunes and restore once again and setup as new.

This gets one a *clean install* and you will gain speed.

tyche

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
I just did an in place upgrade to iOS 7. I can see delays added by the animations and some apps take a second or so more to initially start (instant once in task manager). Overall, it's not bad for me and nothing I will rage quit over.

I've turned off a number of features such as location services, siri, icloud, notifications just like I do in iOS 6 so I will see how the battery goes. If it has excessive drain in standby and things like that I will likely go back otherwise I will move on with the future of Apple's iOS.

The biggest reason I like iOS 7 on my iPad 3 is there were a number of sites such as polygon, verge and a couple others were inline video would crash the browser if I tried to play them about 90% of the time (while some other sites were 100% solid). Since the upgrade, I've tried a bunch of web page video streams and they've all worked perfectly. This is for me is the biggest win and the main reason I will stick with it if the battery doesn't drain on me.

RuralJuror

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2012
It would be fine if it were still in beta

I'm a fairly long time lurker but I just thought I'd chime in with my 2c.

I did an upgrade rather than a clean install on the day that it was first released and thus far I've had about 5 hard lockups, 2 alone within the last 6 hours. Each time I was doing something different, so it's presumably iOS7 and not just whichever app I've been using at the time. The most recent occasion was just 5 minutes ago when I was switching back to the YouTube app.

I've also had the same problems with lag as I've read other people have had, although it may have improved slightly over the last day or two - either that or I've just gotten used to it. I'm also seeing the massive delay in selecting and scaling/moving wallpaper.

One other issue I've been having is where the sound completely stops working within an app when I've switched away from it and then switched back to it. It's been happening with Where's My Water 2, PvZ2 and a couple of others, and the only solution is to close the app and reopen it - a bit of a PITA.

I know the whole skeuomorphic design wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but at least iOS6 was rock solid. I don't care how it looks if it's unstable! I can honestly say that I've never been so frustrated since owning my iPad. I don't know what it's like on an iPhone but on the iPad it feels like it should still be in beta testing.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I know the whole skeuomorphic design wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but at least iOS6 was rock solid. I don't care how it looks if it's unstable! I can honestly say that I've never been so frustrated since owning my iPad. I don't know what it's like on an iPhone but on the iPad it feels like it should still be in beta testing.

You are probably right as it appears that the iOS 7 design is inconsistent and sloppy, not up to Apple's standards. Apple isn't the same company post Jobs. I know that might ruffle some feathers but Apple today is more about the same and reacting to the competition instead of putting out devices and computers that break the mold and set new standards.

This is the reason why I did not upgrade but I will try iOS 7 when the new iPad's are released later this year. Hopefully iOS 7 was put back in the oven.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
if i was updating my iPad 3 to iOS 7, i would wipe it clean then upgrade it to iOS 7 then re-store via iCloud (not iTunes).

i'm still on iOS 5.1.1 for jailbreak purposes and specific apps that allow me to use my iPad like a full fledged laptop (BT mouse and keyboard).

my iPhone 5 is on iOS 6.1.2

i won't be touching iOS 7 until a jailbreak, but even when a jailbreak comes out i am very hesitant to run iOS 7 on the A5X. the A5X can barely keep up as is and should have never been released for the full sized Retina screen

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
You can. Three gestures that may be of interest to you:

Four-finger swipe up: activates the "multitasking" mode (equivalent to double-tapping the home button). This worked in iOS 6 and I believe iOS 5, as well, although the way that the apps were displayed was different.

Four-finger swipe to the left or right: cycle between open applications. The order of cycling is based on which apps had focus most recently. There is no home button press equivalent for this gesture.

Four-finger (I use five) close: this is the same gesture that you use to activate Launchpad on OS X. It functions the same as if you had pressed the home button once.

I use these gestures all of the time and very rarely touch the home button. If it weren't for the implementation of TouchID, Apple could have removed the home button on the iPad and I would not have been affected. I hope you find that helpful!

Yea, they're pretty great, make the iPad basically all tough.

I should have been clear I meant for not using the home button on the iPhone(which admittedly is strange since this is a thread on the iPad 3, but I was using my phone while I typed)

Going from the iPad to iPhone where one lacks the mutlitouch feels like a step down.

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
It's very usable on the iPad 3. Not super fast, but neither was iOS 6. It actually made some things faster, like loading the App Store and iTunes storefronts.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Performance is okay. Everything else is just a personal preference... as in do you like iOS 7? I'm not a huge fan but it honestly seems to work fine (performance wise).

Tyrion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2002
Am I the only one for whom Safari has become unusable on the iPad 3 under iOS 7? Everything else runs OK (though there's certainly lag and stutter), but Safari has become a slideshow - opening a new tab takes several seconds, touches aren't registered for seconds at a time, scrolling stutters like mad... It's so bad I'm using iCab now. I've tried resetting Safari, i. e. clearing the Cache and the history and stuff, but it hasn't helped at all.

tyche

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
After a full day, I'm happy to stay with it. I like the swipe up control panel. Real handy to toggle airplay which is working well.

I use iCab and haven't used safari in years. All other apps I run have no issues. Changing my wallpaper (which I'll never change again) was the only slowdown.

BrennerM

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
I did an in-place upgrade through iTunes when hooked up to my computer. I have all notifications disabled, and I also disabled the 3D wallpaper effect to save battery. I've seen comparable battery life to iOS 6 (and maybe even a tad better on iOS 7) and no real issues. I had a couple of stuttering scrolling moments on Safari but couldn't really reproduce it so it might have been an issue with an ad or overlay on that specific web page.

The overall pastel look of the OS is OK not fantastic but I don't care too much as long as I can launch the apps I want to use.

I do think it is strange that the icon text is white with no noticable border or shadow, so if you use a background with a lot of white in it, you simply won't be able to read the text under your icons.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Actually it is an option, it might NOT be an easy option (thanks to Apple) but it is an option.

If you have access to your iPad you can simply go to Settings | reset | erase all content and settings. Then connect it to iTunes and restore and set up as new.

If you don't have access to your iPad you can connect it to iTunes restore, and then go to settings | reset | erase all content and settings | then connect to iTunes and restore once again and setup as new.

This gets one a *clean install* and you will gain speed.

Yes, and this is called Restore or Recovery mode (they are actually different options), and neither one is called a "clean install." I don't get why so many people have an allergy to calling things by their actual names, so that others might know what process is being recommended.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.