Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

appletv.jpg
Apple today pulled the Apple TV 6.0 update that it released on Friday, following multiple reports on Apple's support forums stating that the update caused several critical errors for users. MacRumors forum members have also experienced a slew of problems with the software. From a forum member:
Bricked after update. Finally found micro USB cord, hooked up to iTunes and said it was restored. Said to connect to the TV. Hit ok and the light instantly started flaunt again. Same graphic on TV screen to reconnect to iTunes. Went through this three times and no love.
While some devices were bricked, rendering them completely unusable, others experienced Wi-Fi connection issues and other problems that necessitated an iTunes restore. Restoring requires a micro USB cable to connect the Apple TV to a PC or Mac with iTunes.

The update, which brought features like iTunes Radio, AirPlay from iCloud, and iTunes music purchases, seems to have disappeared from the Apple TV last night. Users that have 5.3 installed on their Apple TVs no longer have the option to install the 6.0 software.

Apple has yet to release a statement on the issue and there is no word on when the software might reappear.

Article Link: Apple Pulls Apple TV 6.0 Update Following Reports of Bricking

imola.zhp

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2010
Mud Island (Memphis), TN
Both of the two I updated (still haven't updated the third) in my house are working fine so far (knocks on wood). They are all mounted to the backs of my wall-hung TV's. I'll be pretty upset if I have to diss-mount the TV's to fix them if they mess up.

C'mon Apple, you had months and months to test this!

FailedMuso

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2013
I updated both mine the other night. My ATV2 completed with no issues, however my ATV3 died, leaving me with a rapid flashing LED and a screen telling me to hook up to iTunes, which I did straight away. This fixed the issue and both boxes seem to be working fine so far.

I'm guessing a point release will be imminent in the next few days.

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
I have 3 AppleTVs. The install went perfectly on 2 of them, but I did have to connect to iTunes and run a restore on the 3rd. Otherwise, they do seem to be running fine now.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Mine is fine NOW but I heard many reports of problems this time, and mine too had a quirk where it upgraded for a long time, and after rebooting and coming back to it with the screensaver going, I was met with a black screen when I pushed a button. I had to force-restart the device for it to come alive. Kind of a scary moment there...

And then when it was upgraded, I couldn't accept the new Shared Photostream terms of use because it had strangely reset my regional settings. I clicked "Accept" and then I was met with the identical ToU once again to accept... Apparently, you have to set your region to your country. Mine was suddenly USA + Cupertino time zone, due to another bug.

So all in all, certainly no hassle free upgrade.

iDriveX

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2003
Ventura, CA
I definetly experienced some annoying issues. I have an AppleTV in my car and now when I have AirPlay on if I'm listening to music and doing Nav from Apple Maps, anytime the Nav voice kicks in over the music, it disconnects the AirPlay. If I start AirPlay while in Maps, if I switch to music, it kills the AirPlay.

Also when listening to music the Volume starts off real low and then about 3-5 seconds into the songs the volume goes to what I'd say is about 125-150% of normal. Sounds horrible.

Rocco83

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
Installed the update on 3 ATVs with 0 problems yet. My luck they will all brick. Apple will have a recall like they did on the 2011 iMacs. Determine mine do not qualify, even though they are listed and suffer from a problem caused by Apple. Thus leaving me with more very pretty and expensive paperweights.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I updated fine, thankfully.

I wonder if version 6 will be a brief update cycle, before Apple releases version 7, that'll coincide with iOS 7 releases?

dubhe

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Norwich, UK
Mine failed after a few hours of working fine, just brought up a blank screen halfway through an airplay movie from my computers iTunes. Tried rebooting, resetting etc, nothing. When I restored through iTunes and it did fix it, don't know for how long! Mines a 2nd Gen.

Fudai

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
Problems here...

Following the update, my ATV2 stopped working with Hulu... I only get black screens. Also, when I tried to "Restart" it froze, requiring me to unplug form the wall, count to 10, and plug back in. Finally, I have been seeing intermittent "errors"... Sucks, cos I was really looking for good things with this update.:(

When's 6.0.1 coming out...?

Fudai

harley3k

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2008
My 1080p ATV Bricked, and I had to connect to iTunes to restore, then it updated fine after that.

My 720p ATV upgraded fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.