Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

defunct32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
I noticed a few games are asking me to update my touch to iOS 7; i.e. Infinity Blade III. What's the experience like on an iPod touch 5th Gen for those who have already updated their touch? Any particular app not working properly?

I'm a bit skeptical but perhaps with some positive feedback and experiences from others I might eventually update, and I know, eventually I will have to, it's just a matter of time. I've been reading far too many complaints to give this update a go at the moment.

Thanks for any replies and insight. Greatly appreciated.

jack2wai2

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2012
It is a nice update.

Go for it. It is a nice major update. It performs almost the same as in ios 6. Also, the airdrop feature is a very handy feature to brighten your day.

Go, update it. Have a brand new iPod touch!

hoodedwarbler12

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2012
Tennessee
Very slightly laggy with the animations but I'm probably just being too sensitive. It's certainly not too slow to hold back from upgrading. By all means go ahead.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I bought the 5th gen Touch after good feedback with IOS 7. I am not a power user by any stretch but it smokes. I can only imagine how the 5S must compare with more powerful hardware if the OS is working this good on the Touch.

garya73

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2013
Delaware, USA
I feel like iOS 7 is performing better on my iPod touch 5 than iOS 6 ever did. Seems much smoother. I've also been tethering it to my cell phone, and it outshines the phone (LG Spectrum) even over the tethered connection.

Go for it.

cobrawang

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2013
yeah,I feel like iOS 7 is performing better on my iPod touch 5 than iOS 6 ever did. Seems much smoother
9.gif

moderately

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
It seems to run smoother, even faster loading some apps. I have, however, recently resolved to keep ~ 1gb free and that seems to make a difference also.

Alert: If you use Numbers and forms to enter data there is a serious bug where taps are not acknowledged and some fields do not show what you are entering. Blind entry is a drag. Unacknowledged tap: You mean to delete an input so you tap delete, nothing happens so you tap again, then multiple pages delete.

I use Numbers a lot, I may end up wishing I stayed longer on iOS 6.

defunct32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2013
no issues for me.

Thanks again, everyone! Good to know the iPod touch 5th Gen supports iOS 7 pretty well. Currently I'm not a huge fan of 7's music app seems like a big mess to me:

- You can't repeat one whole album but the entire discography; so for example if you've two albums by Justin Timberlake; you cannot just play album A on repeat you've to play both album A and B on repeat, a workaround is to add the album you want to listen to a playlist to have it on repeat, which is just nonsense.

- The song view is just horrible and possibly confusing (to me!) with album art on every song, iOS 6 was better with just a text list.

- Viewing the artist's album now also lists the song together? Oh dear, I've got to scroll up and down just to find something and the search bar isn't exactly helpful.

My iPod other than a gaming device is also a music device so if I'm not gaming I'll be listening to music, and right now iOS 6's music app is the best to me. I just hope Apple sort this rubbish out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.