Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
What did Apple do to the Podcasts List view? They added all episode with seemingly no way to remove them. I hate the other views and always used list view.

Anyone know of a way to get rid of the other episodes?

-Kevin

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
What did Apple do to the Podcasts List view? They added all episode with seemingly no way to remove them. I hate the other views and always used list view.

Anyone know of a way to get rid of the other episodes?

-Kevin

WTF did they do?!? Did they seriously ruin podcast support?

I sure hope I'm missing something, because I hit the same thing-it (insanely) shows a list of all podcasts with seemingly no way to delete them.

I like iOS fine, but literally the ONLY reason I use it and not a cheaper Windows or Android device is the amazing podcast support...which Apple seemingly just destroyed?!?

Amazingly it also seemed to have unscubscribed me from all my podcast feeds? Unless "subscribe" now means something different from what it did pre 11.1?

axcess99

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2005
I agree. It shows all the old episodes with a little cloud/download icon. I need someway to hide episodes of podcasts beacuse some have hundreds of eps cluttering the list view.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Hoping it's a bug. When you right click on a podcast in list view they have the Show old episodes option. Seems that either doesn't toggle, or something's wrong where we can't delete the old ones like before.

-Kevin

crescentmoon52

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2011
There are some very serious streaming problems with the new update and I have comcast high speed internet....all I get is a message "rebuffering stream"... wished I had never updated!!

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
Hoping it's a bug. When you right click on a podcast in list view they have the Show old episodes option. Seems that either doesn't toggle, or something's wrong where we can't delete the old ones like before.

-Kevin

Oh geez do I hope you're right. I need this fixed FAST as I'm seriously pretty sure I'm going to switch back to using Juice...you know, JUICE from pre 2005, is now easier than this :eek:

EDIT: I just reported this to Apple as an iTunes bug. I told them that quite honestly I'd been sure I was buying an iPhone 5s for months, and instead will be leaving Apple's ecosystem if this isn't fixed FAST.

I really suspect that (for example) Microsoft and Google have no one that uses podcasts or understands what they are...their support is pre-2005 Apple, and that's the only explination for why you'd be so clueless, and unable to copy what Apple did in 2005.

And now Apple is pre-2005 Apple...which must mean the same thing. Steve Jobs got it back in 2005 when he described the process (and even recommended some that ended up changing my life). Now I'm not exaggerating that just ONE of my podcasts is now generating 3 screens worth of worthless entries I'd have to wade through every single time I listen to or manage my podcasts, and that's just ONE of maybe 50 podcasts I subscribe to. It's just unusable.

EDIT2: I hadn't even checked my iPad yet. I don't like iOS 7 much, generally it seems like an interface downgrade. But I just found out...the audio player no longer lists my podcasts at all lol.

I just went from utter certainty I was buying a 5s, to probably having to ditch all my iOS stuff and iTunes in the course of 24 hours :lol:

Last edited:

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Oh geez do I hope you're right. I need this fixed FAST as I'm seriously pretty sure I'm going to switch back to using Juice...you know, JUICE from pre 2005, is now easier than this :eek:

EDIT: I just reported this to Apple as an iTunes bug. I told them that quite honestly I'd been sure I was buying an iPhone 5s for months, and instead will be leaving Apple's ecosystem if this isn't fixed FAST.

I really suspect that (for example) Microsoft and Google have no one that uses podcasts or understands what they are...their support is pre-2005 Apple, and that's the only explination for why you'd be so clueless, and unable to copy what Apple did in 2005.

And now Apple is pre-2005 Apple...which must mean the same thing. Steve Jobs got it back in 2005 when he described the process (and even recommended some that ended up changing my life). Now I'm not exaggerating that just ONE of my podcasts is now generating 3 screens worth of worthless entries I'd have to wade through every single time I listen to or manage my podcasts, and that's just ONE of maybe 50 podcasts I subscribe to. It's just unusable.

EDIT2: I hadn't even checked my iPad yet. I don't like iOS 7 much, generally it seems like an interface downgrade. But I just found out...the audio player no longer lists my podcasts at all lol.

I just went from utter certainty I was buying a 5s, to probably having to ditch all my iOS stuff and iTunes in the course of 24 hours :lol:

I'm talking about the podcasts in iTunes 11.1, not on iOS. I very rarely do anything with the podcasts app on iOS because, well, quite frankly it never seems to be in sync.

I'm talking about the List view in iTunes for podcasts. For now I've resorted to the Unplayed view, which isn't great.....but atleast doesn't show every episode.

-Kevin

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
I give up......Apple's entire podcast sync setup doesn't work at all.

If I have syncing turned on in iTunes 11.1....and I go to download an episode....once it downloads, if I hit refresh, it removed it.

The iPhone has a completely separate list of available episodes.

Apple just can't do syncing of any kind.

-Kevin

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
I'm talking about the podcasts in iTunes 11.1, not on iOS. I very rarely do anything with the podcasts app on iOS because, well, quite frankly it never seems to be in sync.

I'm talking about the List view in iTunes for podcasts. For now I've resorted to the Unplayed view, which isn't great.....but atleast doesn't show every episode.

-Kevin

Yeah, that's what I was talking about too, and my main issue. I also discovered that iOS 7 removes podcast support from the audio player, forcing you to use the terrible "Podcasts" program, although it actually seems like it syncs with itunes now...maybe...kinda...sorta.

I spent all last night moving my subscriptions from iTunes to Mozilla's Thunderbird, which besides being a good email program is also a good RSS program. Ironically in terms of tracking podcasts to download, IT handles that aspect exactly like iTunes did from 2005 until 11.1 came out.

I have to manually download podcasts through it, and will have to manually copy them into iTunes/iPod/iOS, or now any other device I want, but that seems to be easier than going through in my case literally over 150 screens worth of podcasts now that 11.1 is broken. I'd have to scroll through 150 screens every time I check for new podcasts, every time I try to play one, every time I need to delete one. Noooot very workable...so I'm literally back to 2004 methods of managing these, save that Thunderbird works better that what I was using in 2004.

I already had an "RSS Feeds" "account" set up in THunderbird, but it lets you create more than one "account" for RSS feeds, meaning I now have a totally separate one called "Podcasts" which I can sync separately, since obviously I don't want it mixed in with my normal RSS news type feeds that I only half pay attention to.

Oh, and I'd encourage anyone to report this to Apple with their product feedback page for iTunes. Maybe if enough of us complain, they'll actually fix it, or maybe someone else will describe the problem better.

TofSanity

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2010
hahaha this iTunes 11.1!!! why won't it STOP re-downloading podcasts??? amazing... keeps freezing my iTunes, hopefully a fix will come out soon

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2006
San Jose, California
It's extremely cluttered and annoying seeing all the "available" episodes even if I already previously deleted them because I either A) watched and then deleted them, or B) deleted them from the feed so I wouldn't see it again. Now we're FORCED to see ALL episodes which makes the episodes I choose to keep mixed in with sometimes HUGE piles of crap I did not want. TONS in the way and extremely hard to manage. I hope all here have filled out a suggestion for Apple directly! Tell them here: http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

I swear if this update wasn;t required for iOS7, I wouldn't have gotten it.

generationxwing

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2005
Calgary

OK, you go ahead and do that. Please, let us know how it works out.

*eyeroll*

hakuin

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2010
Same problem here. No option to "delete" individual podcasts from the list so it shows only the entire list of available podcasts, and when I deselect them after a "refresh" they are all selected again. Sending a report to Apple now.

AusPatto

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
Try This

In list view right click on the podcast and select unsubscribe. This will remove all played content. Then just right click on the podcast and select Refresh Podcast when you want to download the new podcasts.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
In list view right click on the podcast and select unsubscribe. This will remove all played content. Then just right click on the podcast and select Refresh Podcast when you want to download the new podcasts.

Thanks, but that doesn't seem to help. You're still just left with a gigantic list of podcasts to sift through every time you want to check for new episodes.

OK, you go ahead and do that. Please, let us know how it works out.

*eyeroll*

:rolleyes: Thanks for this excellent contribution to human culture. Maybe next time you'll want to actually understand the issue before randomly attacking people.

wallraff

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2009
When trying to remote control itunes 11.1 with the remote app in iphone it will not list the podcasts, only empty, or old podcasts downloaded to itunes show up. Anyone with a solution to that?

hakuin

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2010
I take back my negative review, the "My Podcasts" view is actually functional enough for me.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
I take back my negative review, the "My Podcasts" view is actually functional enough for me.

Noooo way...does that work? :confused::eek:

I hope it's that simple! It looks like under the "My Podcasts" view a blue circle means unplayed, half blue is partially played, nothing means it's playcount is 1 or greater?

Does it have ANY new podcasts show up in that list when you refresh, not just the most recent?

Guess you'd have to click on the "reload" type button in the corner, then check each podcast.

hmm...I like the list view better, but maaaaybe this will work?

Annoying thing is I have to switch everything BACK over, then back again if it doesn't work lol

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Noooo way...does that work? :confused::eek:

I hope it's that simple! It looks like under the "My Podcasts" view a blue circle means unplayed, half blue is partially played, nothing means it's playcount is 1 or greater?

Does it have ANY new podcasts show up in that list when you refresh, not just the most recent?

Guess you'd have to click on the "reload" type button in the corner, then check each podcast.

hmm...I like the list view better, but maaaaybe this will work?

Annoying thing is I have to switch everything BACK over, then back again if it doesn't work lol

Both Unplayed and My Podcasts views are slow and clunky.

First, at some point in playing a podcast.....iTunes decides you've reached a point where it's not new and not half circled played. When this happens, it doesn't show it on the Unplayed screen. And on the My Podcasts screen....it only shows the number as true unplayed.....so looking at it you have no idea which podcasts have partially played episodes.

-Kevin

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
Both Unplayed and My Podcasts views are slow and clunky.

First, at some point in playing a podcast.....iTunes decides you've reached a point where it's not new and not half circled played. When this happens, it doesn't show it on the Unplayed screen. And on the My Podcasts screen....it only shows the number as true unplayed.....so looking at it you have no idea which podcasts have partially played episodes.

-Kevin

Seems like it's not syncing play position to my iPod right either...

Argh. I guess I'll go ahead, try to convert back to iTunes, see if it works, but leave everything in Thunderbird for if it fails. Thunderbird actually handles the feed management great at least (which is ridiculous, given it's a free EMAIL client lol)

aaronvan

Suspended
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
iTunes works and syncs just fine. I like having older podcasts available for download. I find myself listening to older podcasts that I had forgotten all about.

I love deleting a podcast from my iPhone and it disappearing from my Mac as well.

Bravo Apple!

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
iTunes works and syncs just fine. I like having older podcasts available for download. I find myself listening to older podcasts that I had forgotten all about.

I love deleting a podcast from my iPhone and it disappearing from my Mac as well.

Bravo Apple!

Are you freaking kidding me? Please tell me you're joking.

You could ALWAYS see the full RSS feed of podcasts if you wanted to. This FORCES you to see it. If you like these old podcasts so much, save them somewhere to listen to them again (as I do for some), as usually feeds don't keep a full list there forever anyway.

If for some reason you actually like randomly listening to old podcasts again and again that you've redownloaded, you could do that before. This only adds the "feature" that we can't actually see a useable list anymore.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.