Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNoobGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Hi all, I just came across this app called 'Matlab 2013'. I tried reading their website, but I couldn't get a clear picture of what it does exactly.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
It's for hardcore maths. It's used by engineers, statisticians, maths academics.

It's used pretty extensively in universities. If you have to ask, chances are you don't need it. :D

Last edited:

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Research groups are big users of Matlab. It is used for statistical calculations, graphing, etc.

As the above said, if you don't know what it is you don't need it.

Bsides, it is very expensive!! VERY.

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
Essentially its a programming/computing environment which you program using the Matlab programming language.
It's aimed mainly at the fields of maths, science and engineering.

There are also a lot of toolkits which make programming certain tasks a lot easier, for example I've used Matlab (at university) mainly for artificial intelligence based work. As there are toolkits that provide easy to use neural networks, genetic algorithms etc...

As for the cost, you can usually get it a lot cheaper if you are a student.

But yeah generally if you don't know what it is, or you haven't been told that you need it for your job/academic work, then it's unlikely that you need it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.