Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

socalj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
In the VIDEOS app, none of the MP4s in the "movies" section have a title, just a thumbnail. Any way to change that? None of my movies have "title thumbnails" so I have a screen of random black screens to choose from. Not fun.

And is there any landscape list view? It's a bit annoying having to scroll through movies in portrait when you are going to watch in landscape.

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    281.5 KB · Views: 549

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Yikes. I'm usually picking a kid movie where I did put in "artwork" so I didn't even notice that. I don't do that on my movies so I went in and I'm now looking at a lot of logos.

I think there are large areas of iOS 7 where the UI isn't complete. The Clock app being another one.

grpaul349

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2005
Same issue here. iPhone 5 with iOS7.

It seems any movies not purchased thru iTunes don't show up with the title. Can be annoying for multiple movies.

Anyone find a fix?

RCS1207

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2013
(Half) Solution!

Change the Media Kind in the video options from "Movie" to "Home Video."

It will now obviously categorize the movies in the home videos section of your iTunes/iPhone/iPad/iPod, but at least it gives you the title of the file underneathe.

redone2k3

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2013

It will now obviously categorize the movies in the home videos section of your iTunes/iPhone/iPad/iPod, but at least it gives you the title of the file underneathe.

Hi RCS1207,

this works, thank you!

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
All the ones I have showing up are iTunes purchases (or digital copies redeemed there) that all have cover art. Thus it's like a movie selection at a store with no unnecessary text at the bottom that's redundant.

I'm guessing these are rips. Use Subler or Meta Z to get all that tagged to your videos, especially a decent piece of cover art. I doubt you're going to get official help for rips.

sktn77a

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2010

I can't find where to change the "media kind" on my iPhone 4S. Where is this option located?

mikewils

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013
I can't find where to change the "media kind" on my iPhone 4S. Where is this option located?

Yeah can't find it either.

Plus, this is a BS change by Apple. Basically ensures that I'll never update the iOS on my kids iPad as they'll never be able to find a movie unless I go tag everything, which I shouldn't have to do.

Hopefully the titles come back after I sync it a time or two. If not, I'm headed to the apple store to complain.

sktn77a

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2010
I gave up on IOS7. Downgraded back to IOS6 for this and other reasons. Was hard to find a genuine download of the firmware files. However, once I got it, the downgrade was pretty easy:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1639897/

Don't waste your time at the Apple Store unless you're buying something!

Keith

f8ster

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2013

You can do it from within iTunes. Select the videos you want, right-click and do "Get Info", then go to the "Options" tab. There you will find the "Media Kind" option, and you can change it to "Home Video". Once these changes are reflected on your phone, there will be a third button at the bottom of your phone's Video app titled "Home Videos". If you select that, you'll see a list of the videos with titles but no thumbnails, similar to the way it used to look in ios6.

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012
hope they fix this soon.

You create the the image just like adding album art. The image of the movie should have the name of the movie in it. I grab an Image from the net from a DVD cover for any movie and connect it to the file before copying to ios device. Since that has the name in the image there is no need for a text of the name. You just need to add the correct image in your itunes library for copied DVDs. Similar to adding album art for music.

hazuki

macrumors regular
May 17, 2013
Bali
yea the video app its so bad
-no landscape mode
-no artist information
-no title information on thumbnail

lame :mad:

iknowyourider

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2008
onanorthboundtrain
I had the same problem which was a pretty big problem for me. I plugged in the ipad and changed the video type to home video and that created a third category and fixed the problem.The titles are back.

Thanks a lot for this thread and this fix!

Kanchenjunga

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2013
Frostbite Falls, MN
All the ones I have showing up are iTunes purchases (or digital copies redeemed there) that all have cover art. Thus it's like a movie selection at a store with no unnecessary text at the bottom that's redundant.

I'm guessing these are rips. Use Subler or Meta Z to get all that tagged to your videos, especially a decent piece of cover art. I doubt you're going to get official help for rips.

I had the same problem, and fortunately, the info in this thread helped.

As far as rips go, my movies were not purchased from iTunes. I bought them from Amazon, SteepEdge.com, etc, along with some home movies of my elderly dog. Not one of my movies displayed a title.

It seems Apple insists people purchase their movies from Apple. Otherwise, they need to come up with a work-around for the lack of titles.

This happened because of sloppy QA, and a lousy attitude towards their customer base on Apple's part.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I just got around this by adding album art in iTunes to all my movies.... But I can see how that would be cumbersome for someone with a large movie collection.... I usually have 10 or so movies at once then remove them from iTunes once I watch it.

The other thing that is missing is the little blue dot next to unwatched movies, sometimes it takes me a long time to watch the movies on my phone and its nice to have the little blue dot next to the ones I haven't watched.

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012
I had the same problem, and fortunately, the info in this thread helped.

As far as rips go, my movies were not purchased from iTunes. I bought them from Amazon, SteepEdge.com, etc, along with some home movies of my elderly dog. Not one of my movies displayed a title.

It seems Apple insists people purchase their movies from Apple. Otherwise, they need to come up with a work-around for the lack of titles.

This happened because of sloppy QA, and a lousy attitude towards their customer base on Apple's part.

Just add the DVD cover as album art. What's the big deal? I did that with ios 6 too.

JohnArtist

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2007
New York
Just WHERE did my movies go?

Now that iTunes is called "Music" in iOS7, I can't even FIND my movies, pod casts, etc. Where did they go? Can anyone point this out to me? Thx!

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
In the VIDEOS app, none of the MP4s in the "movies" section have a title, just a thumbnail. Any way to change that? None of my movies have "title thumbnails" so I have a screen of random black screens to choose from. Not fun.

And is there any landscape list view? It's a bit annoying having to scroll through movies in portrait when you are going to watch in landscape.

You can do it from within iTunes. Select the videos you want, right-click and do "Get Info", then go to the "Options" tab. There you will find the "Media Kind" option, and you can change it to "Home Video". Once these changes are reflected on your phone, there will be a third button at the bottom of your phone's Video app titled "Home Videos". If you select that, you'll see a list of the videos with titles but no thumbnails, similar to the way it used to look in ios6.

Yep, beat me to it. Any new video you add that wasn't purchased with a bluray/dvd or through iTunes gets tagged 'home video'- I think this is an iTunes 11 specific issue.

You create the the image just like adding album art. The image of the movie should have the name of the movie in it. I grab an Image from the net from a DVD cover for any movie and connect it to the file before copying to ios device. Since that has the name in the image there is no need for a text of the name. You just need to add the correct image in your itunes library for copied DVDs. Similar to adding album art for music.

I always add artwork as well for any movies or tv shows I 'acquire'. Google image search, search settings set to 'large' images, looks fantastic on the Apple tv as well.

Attachments

• tv shows.PNG
    tv shows.PNG
    562.9 KB · Views: 449
  • Movies.PNG
    Movies.PNG
    931.9 KB · Views: 268
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.