Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hawtin

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2012
You want to see the clip of my 'genuine' apple cable i got with my 5. Discoloured, fraying rubber near the plastic tip, twisted into some weird double loop shape. Yeah, well worth paying £20 for.

Meanwhile the amazon version I bought is working fine, no twisting, fraying, anything.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
You want to see the clip of my 'genuine' apple cable i got with my 5. Discoloured, fraying rubber near the plastic tip, twisted into some weird double loop shape. Yeah, well worth paying £20 for.

Meanwhile the amazon version I bought is working fine, no twisting, fraying, anything.

Just because you do not take care of your cables properly does not mean they are defective or lack quality. I have 4 lightning cables I use all the time and they are just fine.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Yea the whole thing is a pain. Does anyone know if Apple is still doing the "unauthorized" cable trade in?

they never were. They were doing charger trade ins but car chargers and cables were never part of that. just the usb to wall bit

----------

That sounds more like user abuse, especially the shape thing. That could only come from someone knotting the cable over and over, particularly tightly.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I always find it funny that after buying a $650+ piece of technology, people decide to cheap out on cables and get all bent out of shape when they can't use their $2 cable they got from China......

Guys. Buy a few $20 Apple cables. You spent all that money on the device, might as well get the right cables. And really, you end up stockpiling a bunch over time anyhow. Heaven forbid the $2 cable you buy kills your device (which has happened).

Apple's even trying to help! Go take that non-supported cable to Apple and get a REAL one for $10. Again - a $10 cable for a $650 phone.....come on.....

----------

I have now 6 Apple lightning cables (my wife has 2 - one for iPhone, one for iPad) and I have 4 (iPad, iPhone, backup in my bag, backup in the car).

All look great, no fraying, no breaking, no discoloration......then again I take care of my stuff. :rolleyes:

bad03xtreme

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2009
Northern, VA
Well that's what I wanted to do but I asked if they were still offering the trade in and people on here said they were never doing a program like that.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
The trade in program was for the cube charger that the cable plugs into...not the cables themselves.

----------

I believe Apple will do a warranty replacement of your cable if you take it into the store. I do agree that the Amazon cable is super heavy duty....waiting on the Monoprice ones for comparison.

----------

7enderbender

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2012
North East US
Want a workaround? Spend the money and buy an official Apple cable. You're plugging a $600.00 device into some cheap aftermarket cable.

Really? I mean, I'm totally fine with licensing and proprietary concepts and hard core greedy "capitalism" as a whole. No issue with that whatsoever. But there are certain limits of stupidity where you annoy your customers so that they jump to the next big thing. Don't think so? Well, ask the thousands of Blackberry/RIM employees who just lost their jobs.

It's a simple cable to charge a stupid battery. Yes, I know there is chips and you don't want the cheapest junk that blows up the phone. But if you need just a cable for charging only? And then yo have to deal with a nag screen? That's ridiculous.

And as a convinced capitalist I'm all about competition. Do I for instances use "Fender-only" or "Gibson-only" cables to plug in my expensive guitars? NO. I use the stuff that is better than the Chinese junk they put their logos on.

Accordingly, I found a good (not cheap) car charger with a long sturdy cable (something that the holy Apple doesn't even make. Maybe they assume their customer base just goes on their hip fixy bike from one Starbucks to the next, I don't know). Should I find out that my stupid phone doesn't work no any longer with that I'm going to be really unhappy to say the least. I'll remember that the next time I need a smart phone. Not that there is much alternative at the moment for my needs, but that may change.

I find Apple's marketing and arrogance with limiting my choices increasingly disappointing. They've never been great with that but it's getting worse. Now they're pushing buggy operating systems down our throat. I hope they'll fix some of the stuff in iOS7 soon that just doesn't feel right.

Ans yes, I hope that some of their hipster script kids read this. They may be next looking for new jobs if their not getting their act together quickly.

stephen1108

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
So what's the best MFI certified lightning cable out there? One that won't go bad after a couple months of use.

It's no secret that Apple's cables are a POS, the majority wins in this case. The cables just aren't made for people who use their phone while it's plugged in. Point-blank-period. And don't be THAT person who says the phones aren't made to be used while plugged in. :rolleyes:

If it were just a handful of people complaining about these cables, then you could probably pin it on quality control, or the users themselves. However, when the majority of these cables fray and expose themselves over time, it's clearly a design problem that Apple needs to rectify. I'm sure if they got the design right the first time, then they wouldn't have so many people in and out of the Apple store getting them replaced.

Clearly they know it's an issue, seeing as I've never had any problems getting a cable replaced when I take it there due to the wires exposing itself after a couple months.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Just because you do not take care of your cables properly does not mean they are defective or lack quality. I have 4 lightning cables I use all the time and they are just fine.

That sounds more like user abuse, especially the shape thing. That could only come from someone knotting the cable over and over, particularly tightly.

I have now 6 Apple lightning cables (my wife has 2 - one for iPhone, one for iPad) and I have 4 (iPad, iPhone, backup in my bag, backup in the car).

All look great, no fraying, no breaking, no discoloration......then again I take care of my stuff. :rolleyes:

You're all right on target, but completely missing the point. It's true that one needs to take care of Apple's charger cables, but that's the problem. A charger cable that costs 20 bucks shouldn't have to be handled with care, but should be able to take a beating. To me, a charger cable should be comparable to a pair of hiking boots, or at the very least a pair of running sneakers, not a pair of beige suede derby's.

I've solved the problem by simply taking one of the many micro USB-cables I have at home and put a micro USB to Lightning adapter on it. I no longer need to worry that I turn the phone 360° when I pick it up and put it down if the charger is connected, just as I no longer need to worry that there's enough free space so that there is no pressure on the cable, making it bend too close to the phone in too sharp of an angle.

The only Apple charger cable that survives my "user abuse" is the one in the kitchen, because I don't pick up the phone and use it when it's charging there.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
You're all right on target, but completely missing the point. It's true that one needs to take care of Apple's charger cables, but that's the problem. A charger cable that costs 20 bucks shouldn't have to be handled with care, but should be able to take a beating. To me, a charger cable should be comparable to a pair of hiking boots, or at the very least a pair of running sneakers, not a pair of beige suede derby's.

I've solved the problem by simply taking one of the many micro USB-cables I have at home and put a micro USB to Lightning adapter on it. I no longer need to worry that I turn the phone 360° when I pick it up and put it down if the charger is connected, just as I no longer need to worry that there's enough free space so that there is no pressure on the cable, making it bend too close to the phone in too sharp of an angle.

The only Apple charger cable that survives my "user abuse" is the one in the kitchen, because I don't pick up the phone and use it when it's charging there.

Well the cables are not made by Otterbox. They have to be take care of :p

Lumpy05

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2010
Bloomington, IN
So what's the best MFI certified lightning cable out there? One that won't go bad after a couple months of use.

I have both the Amazon Basic MFI cert lighting cable and the monoprice MFI cert lightning cable. I think they are both "heavy duty" thicker wire, thicker insualtion, and a beefier connector housing. I would recommend trying either one of them, bonus they come in black or white and different lengths. I know that monoprice has a lifetime gurantee on cables so you cant go wrong.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
I have both the Amazon Basic MFI cert lighting cable and the monoprice MFI cert lightning cable. I think they are both "heavy duty" thicker wire, thicker insualtion, and a beefier connector housing. I would recommend trying either one of them, bonus they come in black or white and different lengths. I know that monoprice has a lifetime gurantee on cables so you cant go wrong.

I got my Monoprice ones today. I'll agree they are heavier duty than the Apple ones, but I don't think as heavy duty as Amazon's.

The Amazon ones feel indestructible! But they also have a bigger plastic shroud around the lightning connector, so I think lots of people have complained that they don't work with many cases. They work fine with my OtterBox Commuter case.

The Monoprice ones seem sturdy and I think the lightning connector is more in line with the dimension of Apple's version. Also, Monoprice offers different lengths if you need more than the 3 foot long version and they're just a couple of bucks more. I didn't know about the lifetime warranty...that's reassuring. The connector is clearly marked "Monoprice" so they would know it's their cable.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
It's been happening with my Mophie Juicepack. I'll plug it in with the phone to charge both and after a little while it stops with the warning. I have to charge the Juicepack and my phone separately now.
I would contact them, because Their stuff is even sold in Apple Stores. Mine works great whit mine

This is the error I get and then my phone stops charging even if I dismiss it.

Seriously, just spend a few extra bucks and stop being so cheap. I don't get hope people pay all this money for an iPhone but so cheap to get cords for it.

I still have my cords from my 3G and use the for my iPod Classic. I have never had an code from and iPhone or iPod go bad. You're right, most people don't take care of their cords and right away blame Apple.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
So my boyfriend ordered an extra cable on Amazon from Griffin (came in their packaging and everything), and he started getting the warning after upgrading to iOS 7. It won't even charge unless you wiggle the cable around. Is Griffin not certified? I always thought they were buddies with Apple.

Lumpy05

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2010
Bloomington, IN
So my boyfriend ordered an extra cable on Amazon from Griffin (came in their packaging and everything), and he started getting the warning after upgrading to iOS 7. It won't even charge unless you wiggle the cable around. Is Griffin not certified? I always thought they were buddies with Apple.

The Griffin cable is supposed to be MFI (Made for iPhone) certified, however if you look at some of the amazon reviews apparently there are some counterfeit/knockoffs being sold that are not actually Griffin cables. I would either contact Griffin support or return the cable to amazon as defective.

rsxmachine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2007
it seems that unofficial lightning cables work fine on IOS7 and an iphone 5. If you cable is not working it is because it is a cheap crappy cable and its probably about to die. If the cable is in good working order, it will work but just give you a pop up message. for the iphone 5S, hardware has changed and these cheap cables will not work at all. they will show you a pop up message but won't charge even if the same cable charges on iphone 5. There are some cheap cables that do work with iphone 5s, a couple from buyincoins and DX seem to work, but most others I have do not work on iphone 5S.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA

Same thing happened with my official, but I ended up buying a belkin iPhone 5 cable and it charges pretty good.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Is there a workaround for the non-approved lightning cables in iOS7 yet? I really hate not being able to charge my phone at work or in the car. :mad:

yes, get approved 3rd party ones, like amazon basics, belkin, etc.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
It's been happening with my Mophie Juicepack. I'll plug it in with the phone to charge both and after a little while it stops with the warning. I have to charge the Juicepack and my phone separately now.

Which juice pack? I have a Mophie Juice Pack Air and have never seen that.

----------

Is there a workaround for the non-approved lightning cables in iOS7 yet? I really hate not being able to charge my phone at work or in the car. :mad:

----------

yes, get approved 3rd party ones, like amazon basics, belkin, etc.

I have two Monoprice certified ones( 6' $13 each ) and they work great, no error message.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Mine will charge sometimes for a bit and then I will check and it's not. I dismiss the warning and go back and there is another warning and its not charging it's annoying. :mad:
I have a cheap cable that does this, but another lightning cable that, I will not get an error IF: plug the USB side in first, with power running through it (if in a car, start car first), then plug it in to iPhone (my iPhone 5 anyway), and it's fine. But, plug it in to phone first then USB, I get the error and data works but it doesn't charge. EDIT: oh, wait, I almost forgot...it only works one way, so I have marked the side that works. It's a hassle, so, next cable will be Apple or one with the "Made for iPhone/iPod" logo on it. At least Apple now has a longer cable and a lightning dock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.