Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Good idea, but I'm not going to use Siri while at work.

Here is your solution.

Search for the genre, select it, and at the top of the page is shuffle all songs. If it looks like the genre name disappeared before you could select it, it is further down the results page after songs.

Hyototheyeon

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2013
The photos are of the artists only if that artwork was supplied to iTunes. Otherwise it uses album artwork.

Okay thank you for responding to me. Is there anyway to change the artwork at all? Or at least turn it off? Some of the pictures I just don't like. If rather be able to change it myself

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
What I did is:
1) Select the "artist" view.
2) Scroll to the top of the "artist" list (or press the small magnifying glass icon on the top of the alphabetical selection scroll bar on the right side of the screen) to show the search bar text field above the list of Artists.
3) Type the name of the Artist you want to listen to in the search bar text field. This displays a list of search results below with albums that match the artist you typed in the the search bar text field. I've found that I don't even need to type the full Artist name before I'm able to view/select the correct Album desired.
4) Select the Album you want to listen to from the list of albums in the search results. This filters out everything except the specific album you are interested in.
5) Play Album songs as desired.

It's a very different system than before, but once one understands how to find what they want, they may not mind this new system as much.

Good luck!

I've seen the Search workaround posted before, but having to type in the artist name and scroll down to find the albums in the search results really put me off. In three years of owning a Touch, I've never once used Search to find anything on my iPod, and I can't see using it now as the final step in browsing. After finding something through browsing, one shouldn't have to find it again with Search. The method I described lets you browse while avoiding the search and accomplishes your goal with a couple of relatively mindless and fast taps. It still sucks, but it sucks less, and I hope Apple gets millions of negative feedbacks on the Music app to motivate them to restore the old behavior. Sadly, they broke the Remote App last January in the same way (less the new hybrid album/songs list), and they ignored my feedback then. Someone at Apple clearly thinks this is the way this should work. :mad:

StevenB14

macrumors regular
May 23, 2012
Scotland
This is the feedback I sent Apple.

Until iOS 7 I was happy with the music app but now a key function of the music app is gone.

You can no longer see a list of albums after selecting an artist without seeing all the songs too. You used to be able to select an artist, see a list of album titles, select an album then see the list of songs for that album.

Now when you click an artist you see all albums with all songs listed below. This is not ideal if you have an artist with an extensive back catalogue. The app doesn't even let you shuffle a single album this way.

This is a request that an extra stage is added to the artist browsing. I am requesting that you see a list of artists then once selected you see a list of album titles only and only when an album is selected you then see a list of tracks.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
How did they get this? I still have the random album artwork on mine. I'm starting to regret getting this update if some of the pictures aren't even of the artists themselves

Settings > Music > Group By Album Artist

Make sure that is "On"

It should then show the stock iTunes artist pictures. Where they don't have one, it shows an album cover.

me7

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2013
Ok I see what you're saying. Who do you listen to that has 532 albums you have to scroll thoroughly?

It was your recommendation that the "Albums" view can be used to access singe albums and the "Artist" view can be ignored. I have at the moment 532 albums on my iPod, if I use the "Albums" view, I have to scroll through all of them.

KarsL

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2013
Hilversum, Holland
I like the new music player but there are some things I am really angry about:

- You can't hold the screen to see full titles
- If you search on genres/composers/artists you see all album that feature the genre/composer/artist. This makes it impossible to actually see what song is the genre or composed or from the actual artist.

- iTunes radio only works in the US.
- The artist artwork doesn't work for me (maybe only US?) it only shows a random album artwork.

I really hope Apple fixes these things, if they do the music player is the best!

JPM42

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2007
I've had some interesting issues with artist images in the Music app. I did an OTA upgrade to iOS 7 on Wednesday, and they appeared. But for other reasons, I had to do a restore and since then, the artist images no longer appear. Rather, just empty spaces for the artists that do have artist images. I've signed out of the iTunes Store app and signed back in, I've reset settings, but nothing, they do not appear.

Has anyone figured out a way to make these appear, or in my case, re-appear? Thanks!

MalusSylvestris

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2013
iTunes Match is totally broken for me. It simply will not download over 3G. Even though I have it set to use mobile (cellular) data I get a popup every time I try to download:
emuruqa2.jpg

Then when I OK that it just shows the download circles but the download never starts. The spinning wheel in the status bar either shows for a few seconds then stops, or never shows up at all.
eqaruqah.jpg

I can download over wifi but not 3G which makes iTunes Match fairly useless. I can't even stream songs that aren't in my phone.

Ixi271

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
Manchester
Same here.
I have a well organised iTunes library of around 30000 songs, mixed ALAC and purchased AAC files all with perfect album art that always displayed fine in iTunes and iOS 6.

Now on iOS 7.0.1 on an iPhone 5S, all the album art appears fine in album view and now playing but in artist view some artists use a randomly selected album cover and some just display a grey square with the artist name and album name inside.
Whereas in iOS 7 GM on an iPhone 5 many artists in the artist view had a profile photo downloaded from apple with no user interaction.
If a profile photo was not available then an album cover was used. I had zero grey placeholder squares, now more than half of the artists in my library have a grey square instead of an image in artist view.
There are no artist profile pictures at all any more for me and no visible way to add them manually or force them to download.

Good to hear I'm not experiencing this issue alone.

Matt

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Same here.
I have a well organised iTunes library of around 30000 songs, mixed ALAC and purchased AAC files all with perfect album art that always displayed fine in iTunes and iOS 6.

Now on iOS 7.0.1 on an iPhone 5S, all the album art appears fine in album view and now playing but in artist view some artists use a randomly selected album cover and some just display a grey square with the artist name and album name inside.
Whereas in iOS 7 GM on an iPhone 5 many artists in the artist view had a profile photo downloaded from apple with no user interaction.
If a profile photo was not available then an album cover was used. I had zero grey placeholder squares, now more than half of the artists in my library have a grey square instead of an image in artist view.
There are no artist profile pictures at all any more for me and no visible way to add them manually or force them to download.

Good to hear I'm not experiencing this issue alone.

Matt

It just adds to the confusion. There is no point whatsoever in having pictures next to artists names, as it is either a photo of ONE of their albums, or a random photo of them that you won't recognize anyways. It also means you can only see half as many artists per page.

It's very difficult to use the music app while driving now. Finding a song takes so much more work, especially if you don't know/care what album it's on once you've entered the artist. The album infos take up so much space.

While driving, I used to play all songs by an artist, then use the steering wheel controls to skip between songs, knowing roughly where they are in the alphabet. I have no idea where they are in "shuffle" or when it goes in order of albums.

I think my solution to Apple's tyranny is to delete ALL of my album info for albums with less than x number of songs.

mcfly88

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
Really can't wait for an update, the music app is very buggy. Can't even delete songs without it crashing. Also, anyone else annoyed you can't erase albums and artists?

Ixi271

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
Manchester
I agree, it is annoying that Apple has designed the new artist view with artwork which results in fewer artists displayed.
However, if that is how it is going to stay, the artist pictures (or an album cover - user selectable would be nice) should at least appear instead of grey boxes with artist names in.

So the down side to having artwork is that we see fewer artists per page, but ok we can see the images, but many of the artists in my collection are just given grey boxes rather than artwork or a profile image.
If the option were there, I would turn artist images off and get back to the iOS6 style artist screen of just a list where 8 were on display per page, but its not.
The music app is buggy and the display of images on the artist page is yet another problem; if Apple cant get it right, at least let us turn it off and just have a neat list.

RobbyIdol

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
I hate how the Music App has also lost basic functionality in iOS 7. I tried to make a playlist on my phone today, and I am unable to add an entire album of songs at one time. They force you to select each song individually, which makes adding many albums to a playlist REALLY inconvenient.

Jesus Apple, if you want to visually redo the iOS, fine. But why lose the most basic functionality and performance in the process??

I want iOS 6 back.

Eleda

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013
I'm glad that I'm not the only one having trouble with the images for the artists in the artist view. Most of mine are just blank grey squares. They should really have a way for us to manually edit the artwork ourselves, or at least force it to pick an album artwork.

T-Will

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2008
Here is your solution.

Search for the genre, select it, and at the top of the page is shuffle all songs. If it looks like the genre name disappeared before you could select it, it is further down the results page after songs.

Sweet thanks!

Juanfranco88

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2013
I'm having trouble in general just using the controls to play music. Nothing happens in the control center when I press play or skip, and same problem when the controls appear on lock screen nothing happens when I press play and whatnot. The only thing that works in these 2 situations is the volume slider. It's annoying having to physically go all the way to the music app while driving just to play the song or skip to next one. Any suggestions??

chriscl

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
Stuttgart, Germany
The artist photos in the music app are odd - some of them are just .... wrong.

Here's an example from my iPhone 5; I have five albums from the band "Cream" - Eric Clapton, Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker.

I don't know who these two folk are, but they aren't Eric Clapton!

bupehabu.jpg

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
...that explains all the bitching and moaning over on the Japanese blogs about three old white guys showing up on their music apps under "Cream"...

lunarmac

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2003
Yes, I'm also having the same issue while listening to audibooks.

The music app will not keep my place when I switch from Control Center to the music app.

I also hate the new line scrubber. Why don't they make it a circle like the volume scrubber?

I can't believe we will have to go through all the subsequent iterations of the iOS to get it right. It'll probably take 2 more versions and then they will rewrite it again.

Plus, if you think Jony Ive cares about software design you are crazy. I'm sure he delegated if off to committees. Ive doesn't care about software design. He is and always will be a hardware designer. That's his true passion. They just used his name to get people excited about the refresh and take away the bad publicity of firing Forstall.

Upgraded my iPhone 5 to iOS7 and I am having a lot of issues with the music app. Anyone else having these too?

I usually have my library on shuffle in the morning and skip over songs I don't want. iOS7 Music App will sporadically not play songs. It shows the pause button (so it's in play mode), but the seek/scrub isn't moving through the track. I press pause then play and nothing happens.

I scrub to a later part in the song and hit play and the seek/scrub goes backwards to the beginning of the track and doesn't play. Very rarely it will move through the track, but no sound.

I have tired quitting the app and rebooting the phone. It has nothing to do with my audio files, as I never had this issue before iOS7. Some tracks that played for me yesterday would not play this morning.

Sometimes it will just do a loading icon on the artwork and get stuck. This is so frustrating. Might go back to iOS6 but then I have to re-load evertyhing back on manually.

Anyone having any of these issues? Ideas how to fix? Thank you!

msvadi

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2010
There used to be an icon in the status bar for when audio was playing, but not anymore. I wonder if they dropped it on purpose of just forgot to put it there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.